What is "recreational" rebreather, and any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read the thread, thanks very much for posting it.

First question, but not the most interesting one by any stretch: what did you mean by your “computer was not connecting to the unit”? The handset had power but was not reading the cells? Is this a common problem with ECCR handsets?

I read the thread, thanks very much for posting it. First question, but not the most interesting one by any stretch: what did you mean by your “computer was not connecting to the unit”? The handset had power but was not reading the cells? Is this a common problem with ECCR handsets?

See, my browser just experienced what happened when I read a thread an an old computer through a crappy internet connection: it made me post an empty response when I deemed one was pointless...

I read the thread, thanks very much for posting it.

First question, but not the most interesting one by any stretch: what did you mean by your “computer was not connecting to the unit”? The handset had power but was not reading the cells? Is this a common problem with ECCR handsets?

Corrosion on the cable caused the computer to not fire the solenoid intermittently.

Corrosion on the cable caused the computer to not fire the solenoid intermittently.

Ahh, ok, thanks for the info.

Wow, I had no idea that was even possible. That’s a pretty hard thing to anticipate or catch and thus very dangerous. Is there anything in the manual about the possibility of the sensor data being received by the handset but the connection back to the solenoid being a separate contact which can fail?

Ahh, ok, thanks for the info.

Wow, I had no idea that was even possible. That’s a pretty hard thing to anticipate or catch and thus very dangerous. Is there anything in the manual about the possibility of the sensor data being received by the handset but the connection back to the SP being a separate contact which can fail?

It’s in the training. The manual won’t tell you how to dive it.

It’s in the training. The manual won’t tell you how to dive it.

Understood, I asked because I don’t have a handset or integrated deco computer on my Prism 1 ECCR. It has the computer/SP controller in the head, so this particular issue of the SP controller receiving sensor data but not being able to fire the solenoid is very unlikely as those connections are hard wired and potted in the head.

I can understand now why a checklist is particularly important in this situation. I’m all in favor of checklists, but I think different designs may require more or less extensive checklists and training. Warnings about complacency and checklists to combat complacency are heard differently by different divers.

Some checklists will be universal, but individual units have different predive procedures, and individual divers will then go on to form different habits of their own. Some people dive 2 or 3 hrs a month, some dive on vacation and do 40+ hours in 2 weeks. Different dive habits will foster different predive routines. I think the main thing common to all CCRs is sensor failure modes, and the more you understand cell behavior, the safer you will be. Understanding the design philosophy of your unit and others, preferably before you buy one, is also important to your safety as a CCR diver. CCR diving is challenging and the deck is not stacked in your favor if you do not understand the risks and their potential for mitigation. No design is idiot proof. However, and IMHO, the simpler the CCR and the more involved the diver is in the moment to moment operation, the safer the outcome. Maximum diver involvement is the best antidote to complacency, IMHO...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom