What is "muck diving"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmdoss.that looks like good ole Oklahoma muck,where is it? Maybe they could refloat the sailboat with pingpong balls like mythbusters did? LMAO! Why do you think I left Ok for a job in the Bahamas? No more MUCK for me!!!

60feet:
I’ve heard the term “muck diving” a couple of times recently, but am unclear what it means. So I looked up “muck” in my American Heritage dictionary, and the following is what I found:

I see that Lembeh is regarded as a top destination for “muck diving,” offering a variety of unusual (and often small) sea creatures and “critters.” Okay, so those are “muck”? Another reference calls “muck diving” as diving on barren bottoms or places other than coral reefs. Still another calls it as diving where there are lots of items discarded by humans – cans, bottles, fishing lines, car tires, etc.
Here's a video of Muck diving in Indonesia. http://www.uwimaging.com/gallery/video/Toppie/interlude1.html

a silted out lake/pond/qaurie

dmdoss:
This is MUCK.

:rofl3: :rofl3:

Yep... when they have to sink the dive structures THAT close to the dive dock AND leave the mast above water so that you can find the sucker... that *truely* is "muck"...

:rofl3: :rofl3:

From http://www.muckdiving.com/

"Muck Diving" is a term that was made up to denote diving on barren bottoms or places other than coral reefs. It also usually means that you are looking for small marine animals. In the future, this site will be dedicated to everything about muck diving, including: the best divesites around the world, favorite resorts, incredible critters, digital photography, and environmental issues."

or...

from http://www.dive-the-world.com/newsletter-200310-muck-diving.htm

Muck diving describes the activity of diving on sandy bottoms in search of the smaller and more elusive creatures of the ocean. If underwater macro photography is your thing then you will no doubt already be familiar with this activity.

...and...

http://www.archipelago-fleet.com/pages-destinations/lembeh-critters-01.html

Critter hunting, also known as 'Muck diving' is the reason that diving Lembeh is so popular in the dive world. To those not familiar to the term, critter hunting revolves around often slow paced, lengthy searches for rare and wonderful critters hiding in the most unexpected environments.

Critter hunting dives are frequently shallow and extended, and though often not the most pretty with colourful corals or stunning reef scenes, this popular branch of diving has countless dedicated participants.

Just a silly thought, but, if you don't know what something means, why don't you look it up before you post misinformation?:D

To me there are two degrees of muck diving.

1. You can see far enough to stay with your buddy 3ft away and ocassionally see a critter.
2. You and your buddy are holding hands or have a line tied between you.

I'd consider my OW checkout dives as muck diving.

Swimming along while looking at my guages and compass, all the circular glass disappeared. I wasn't narc'ed, but I really wasn't sure what happened until I pulled my arm back - I sunk 'em in the muck that I couldn't see, which was the bottom when compared to the water I had been diving in... not much of a difference.

I like the "siltocline" word ClayJar termed. When diving the quarries and inner-lakes of PA, that's probably going to describe the bottom - and even describe the conditions when a diver (especially a new diver on a winter day) gets to close to the bottom.

At one point even I 'disappeared,' and really had no clue as to which way was up (couldn't see bubbles, & too dark to see any water in the mask). Muck diving almost requires one to have an arm out forward of themselves, waving it, to guard against hitting one's head, or burying said head in the thicker bad stuff.

The worst muck I can think of is for those who venture into waste-water and farm ponds to fix an aereator or some piece of equipment. This falls into the realm of biohazardous diving.

Even on the 1-foot vis days in the ocean, I have never connected "muck" diving to any open-ocean, or beach, diving I've seen. I know stuff gets kicked up by the waves and currents, but as far as I've seen it's just sand. There just seems a difference between the two. Grit is grit, muck is silt.

ianw2:
... Just a silly thought, but, if you don't know what something means, why don't you look it up before you post misinformation?:D

The descriptions of "muck diving" that you list are also what I found when I googled for muck diving. However, I've also heard/read from divers referring to other types of diving as muck diving. Hence, the reason for my OP - to learn more on this because I suspected there may actually be a broad range of use/interpretation. Even if the inventer of the term "muck diving" may have intended it for a narrow, specific type of diving, I don't see any harm in hearing what other divers call muck diving. There are countless words in a dictionary that have multiple meanings. Not all answers are found on the net, and those on the net may or may not all be complete. I don't regard responses on this thread to be misinformation. My OP does ask for a broad range/spectrum of interpretation. I enjoy reading them all. Hope you will too.

dmdoss:
This is MUCK.
Wow... reminds me of shore diving in red tide a couple of years ago from LA / Orange County beaches. Thanks for posting the photo!

Back
Top Bottom