What is MOF and NMOF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm kind of neutral in this argument but here's how it was explained to me by an instructor at my LDS-
His stance is that when a diver in distress breaks the surface, one of their first instincts will be to "rip off" the mask. His contention is that in their panic, the mask will usually not fully come off and will end up on their forehead. Therefore, he uses it as a sign that a diver is in distress.

Having never been in that situation , I can't say whether this is true or not. My .02 is that if you're capable of removing your mask in a panic situation, you're more than likely flailing around or trying in some other way to get someone's attention and neither you or the people who's attention you get are going to be all that concerned with the position of your mask, unless parts of it are embedded in your face. As stated before, I've never seen anyone jump into the water to attempt a rescue simply because someone was at the surface with MOF. Usually, they end up ignoring that person or ridiculing them, depending on which side of the argument they fall.

Personally, I don't care either way what you do with your mask but tend to go by whatever the DM prefers just to keep the peace.

I'm kind of neutral in this argument but here's how it was explained to me by an instructor at my LDS-
His stance is that when a diver in distress breaks the surface, one of their first instincts will be to "rip off" the mask. His contention is that in their panic, the mask will usually not fully come off and will end up on their forehead. Therefore, he uses it as a sign that a diver is in distress.
I've always found that to be a ridiculous statement. Clearly anyone in "distress" is going to do what they do most instinctively to remove their mask. For people who put it on their neck (like me) they will most likely pull it downward, and they will still be in distress. More importantly there will be other more obvious signs of distress, as you said.

I don't really care either way and, all things being equal, I find putting it back on from my forehead much easier than from my neck but it's habit to put it on my neck now, after only just a few dives.

Some years ago, there was a thread arguing about the topic of whether masks should be worn on the forehead, or whether this was a sign of intense stupidity/ incompetence/ certain death. The thread grew to giant proportions, then went off-topic in a spectacular way to become an enormous chatroom (and an attempt to create Scubabboard's longest thread). The original thread is still in the archives, its decendant still thrives over in the surface interval. MOFers and NMOFers sometimes show their positions in their sig lines.

What you talk'n about ? :wink:

what it has become is .. a way to make friends, meet and interact with them, discuss diving and ask questions to your friends that you might be reluctant to post "out here"
... and because of friends made there, and their graciousness, I've been on dive trips that I would not have been able to make otherwise

Hi DB :kiss2:

It's a cult. :D

LOL - Kinda!

At first it may look pretty pointless - which it often is, but you wouldn't believe how much I've learned about scuba in that thread through real conversations with many wonderful supportive divers.

I have made many real life friends from all over the country and world who have taken me out diving, offered endless advice, loaned me equipment, even let me stay in their homes. Thanks MOF/NMOF!

You can find it chugging along under Non Dive Related Stuff, Surface Interval. Every 15,000 posts the old thread is closed and a new one opens.

Last edited:
What you talk'n about ?

:wink:

what it has become is .. a way to make friends, meet and interact with them, discuss diving and ask questions to your friends that you might be reluctant to post "out here"
... and because of friends made there, and their graciousness, I've been on dive trips that I would not have been able to make otherwise

Yes, I've made many real life friends from that thread and was able to meet and dive with many from SBers from So Fl and So Cal.

Hi, DB :hugs:

Sorry ZKY--it's not the sort of question we can cover in less than 40,000 posts.:wink:

Some years ago, there was a thread arguing about the topic of whether masks should be worn on the forehead, or whether this was a sign of intense stupidity/ incompetence/ certain death. The thread grew to giant proportions, then went off-topic in a spectacular way to become an enormous chatroom (and an attempt to create Scubabboard's longest thread). The original thread is still in the archives, its decendant still thrives over in the surface interval. MOFers and NMOFers sometimes show their positions in their sig lines.
I'd like to add, the original thread had around 65000 posts. They go to around 15000 now and there have been 58? I think.
What you talk'n about ?

:wink:

What he said! :thumb:

Yes, I've made many real life friends from that thread and was able to meet and dive with many from SBers from So Fl and So Cal.

Hi, DB :hugs:

Sam is a forsaker now. She use to be a mofer.

Thank you very much.
Now I know. :wink:

You will be sorry you asked. I am sorry you asked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom