What is happening in Singapore right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just kidding there KD, as you keep saying "Flue" instead of "flu".
Well, old habits die hard Dan, as long long ago, in a place far far away, when I was just a wee whippersnapper we abbreviated it as 'flue', the 'e' being for the 'e' in influEnza. But I can just as easily drop the 'e' to be more up with the times.:thumb:
The only country other than China that manage to flatten the curve is South Korea.
I'd also say Australia is doing a decent job also (so far).

Screenshot_20200423-093055.jpg

Really?

2020 coronavirus pandemic in Thailand - Wikipedia

14/03 Total 82 cases
26/03 Total 1,045 cases
22/04 Total 2,826 cases

Backlash as Malaysian politicians caught flouting virus lockdown

Well over 5,500 cases in Malaysia!
No chance that the lock down will be lifted at the end of Apr!

Malaysian politicians are hardly known to be law abiding pillars of the community. 1MDB anyone?

In Malaysia, lockdown comes in 2 flavors called MCO (Movement Control Order), and EMCO (Enhanced Movement Control Order). The entire country is under MCO, but hotspots of infections are placed under EMCO whereby the police/military cordon off the building/area/village and the people under EMCO are not allowed to leave their homes.

Analysts at JP Morgan Chase & Co predicted that Malaysia's Covid-19 infections would peak at about 6,300 cases a day in mid April. See Warning: Malaysia’s COVID-19 Infection Rate Will Peak Mid-April, Says Analysts

The Malaysian government does provide quite a lot of information about Covid-19 infections. See COVID-19 | Malaysia Outbreak Monitor | Live Updates

Suffice to say that the peak daily infection was 235 cases on 26 March. JP Morgan Chase (and others) were wrong.

In order to compare between countries, you have to take population sizes into account. Population sizes of 3 countries as follows:
America - 331 million
France - 65 million
Malaysia - 32 million
Source: Population by Country (2020) - Worldometer

By population, America is 10 times larger than Malaysia and France is 2 times larger than Malaysia.

As of a few moments ago, covid-19 infection and death figures are as follows:
America - 849,882 and 47,681
France - 159,877 and 21,340
Malaysia - 5,532 and 93
Source: Coronavirus Update (Live): 2,639,824 Cases and 184,280 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

Multiply Malaysia's Covid-19 infection and death numbers by 10 to get the equivalent if Malaysia had the same population as America. Multiply Malaysia's Covid-19 infection and death numbers by 2 to get the equivalent if Malaysia had the same population as France.

Anyone who criticizes Malaysia's actions to curb Covid-19 must be DELUSIONAL.

Work out the numbers for Thailand yourselves. Criticizing Thailand's actions to curb Covid-19 is ABSOLUTELY DELUSIONAL.

To me Malaysia is still in early stage of the exponential curve Growth Rate of 2%, like Indonesia with Growth Rate of 6%. I haven’t seen the flattering of the curve. Wait for a couple of weeks. Once the curve starts to flatten out like South Korea, then I would believe that Malaysia would be successful in flattening the curve.

Malaysia - 2% Growth Rate
A5AB1425-F2C3-4AF2-A310-E317E200E897.jpeg

Indonesia- 6% Growth Rate
0B5B323D-1869-483D-BAE6-BE90C7E8028D.jpeg

Well, old habits die hard Dan, as long long ago, in a place far far away, when I was just a wee whippersnapper we abbreviated it as 'flue', the 'e' being for the 'e' in influEnza. But I can just as easily drop the 'e' to be more up with the times.:thumb:

I'd also say Australia is doing a decent job also (so far).

View attachment 582220

Looks like you are right about Australia with Growth Rate of ZERO. It is next to South Korea in successfully flattening the curve. So there are 3 countries that have successfully flattening the curves: China, South Korea & Australia. The rest of the world need to learn from them.

Australia- Growth Rate 0%
9D051EE6-E12E-4DFE-B821-E6B543A08CD3.jpeg

@Dan Flatten the curve and raise the line go hand in hand. Raise the line refers to the total hospital bed capacity to cater for Covid-19 patients. The line is raised by increasing number of beds. You flatten the curve so that the curve is always below the line. When the curve is below the line, you have hospital capacity to treat covid-19 patients. The statistic that you need to plot the curve is the total number of active cases requiring hospitalisation.

In Malaysia all persons who test positive for covid-19 are hospitalised until they recover and have 2 negative tests 24 hours apart before they are discharged. The curve that you need to plot is therefore total infected to date less patients who have died as well as patients who have recovered and have been discharged. You will find that total active cases has been falling in Malaysia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom