What is happening in Singapore right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malaysia will indeed extend lockdown into May. It is a muslim country and the fasting month of Ramadan has just begun. At the end of the fasting month is the festival of Eid Al-Fitr. Lockdown will be ended just before Eid.

Look at the countries that are closest to Thailand in population:
Iran - 84 million
Germany - 84 million
Thailand - 70 million
UK - 68 million
France - 65 million
Source: Population by Country (2020) - Worldometer

Now compare the Covid-19 infection and death rates for these countries as of a few moments ago:
Iran - 87,026 and 5,481
Germany - 153,129 and 5,575
Thailand - 2,839 and 50
UK - 138,078 and 18,783
France - 158,183 and 21,856
Source: Coronavirus Update (Live): 2,725,920 Cases and 191,061 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

America has a population of about 330 million. This is about 5 times more than Thailand. Multiply Thailand's Covid-19 infection and death numbers and compare them with America's numbers.

Anyone who picks on Thailand to criticise their Covid-19 response is ABSOLUTELY STARK RAVING DELUSIONAL.
I am out of the loop. What is Thailand doing that makes them better at handling covid and what is the controversy? As for comparisons, with Thailand’s low test rate per population it might not be fair to compare them to other countries with higher testing rates.

I am out of the loop. What is Thailand doing that makes them better at handling covid and what is the controversy? As for comparisons, with Thailand’s low test rate per population it might not be fair to compare them to other countries with higher testing rates.

I'm wondering the same. Thailand has certainly been over the hump from looking at their the data, below.
COVID-19/Coronavirus Live Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Thailand.JPG

I am out of the loop... what is the controversy?

His initial post:
HK and Republic of China did not need to flatten the curve because we never let the infection got out of hand right in the beginning!

Singapore only got themselves to blame for the outcome.
Malaysia and Thailand were also slow to act until the infection climbed suddenly.

My response:
In order to compare between countries with different population sizes, we have to adjust figures for population sizes. This is done by looking at the infection rates per 1,000,000 population. Infection rates per million for a selection of countries is provided below:

Spain - 4,457
Belgium - 3,614
Switzerland - 3,266
Italy - 3,098
USA - 2,564
UK - 1,966
Germany - 1798
Singapore - 1,733
Denmark - 1,366
Finland - 745
NZ - 301
Australia - 261
S. Korea - 209
Malaysia - 171
HK - 138
Thailand - 40
Taiwan - 18

Source as at about 9:00 AM HK Time on Thursday 23 April 2020: Coronavirus Update (Live): 2,637,673 Cases and 184,217 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

Offhand I'd say that you comments, especially for Thailand, is delusional.

His rejoinder re Thailand:
Really?

2020 coronavirus pandemic in Thailand - Wikipedia

14/03 Total 82 cases
26/03 Total 1,045 cases
22/04 Total 2,826 cases

What is Thailand doing that makes them better at handling covid ......? As for comparisons, with Thailand’s low test rate per population it might not be fair to compare them to other countries with higher testing rates.
There are different ways of looking at testing rates in order to compare between countries. One would be to look at testing rates per 1,000,000 of population. This is a very crude measure since it does not take number of infections into account. A second way is to look at the testing rate per infection which tells us how many tests were done to find each infected person.

South Korea is widely regarded to have done a lot of testing. South Korea has done a total of 589,520 tests and has found 10,708 infections. This means they have done 55 tests to find each infection.

Thailand has done 142,589 tests and has found 2,854 infections. This means they have done 50 tests to find each infection. I believe that one thing that Thailand has done to make it better at handling Covid-19 is that they have been testing.

His initial post:

My response:

His rejoinder re Thailand:

There are different ways of looking at testing rates in order to compare between countries. One would be to look at testing rates per 1,000,000 of population. This is a very crude measure since it does not take number of infections into account. A second way is to look at the testing rate per infection which tells us how many tests were done to find each infected person.

South Korea is widely regarded to have done a lot of testing. South Korea has done a total of 589,520 tests and has found 10,708 infections. This means they have done 55 tests to find each infection.

Thailand has done 142,589 tests and has found 2,854 infections. This means they have done 50 tests to find each infection. I believe that one thing that Thailand has done to make it better at handling Covid-19 is that they have been testing.
I am sorry but I am not following your logic. There are many factors that effect total case numbers including the criteria used for testing. If your criteria to test is severe illness your total cases will be lower than the actual rate. Thailands testing rate per mil. population is just over 2000. NY is over 14,000 and yet we know that NY total cases is actually higher than the numbers quoted. Some estimates are 10 times that number. Leads one to think that Thailand’s actual infection rate may be much higher than the official total. But this is true of most countries. The lead country in testing is Iceland.

I am sorry but I am not following your logic. There are many factors that effect total case numbers including the criteria used for testing. If your criteria to test is severe illness your total cases will be lower than the actual rate. Thailands testing rate per mil. population is just over 2000. NY is over 14,000 and yet we know that NY total cases is actually higher than the numbers quoted. Some estimates are 10 times that number. Leads one to think that Thailand’s actual infection rate may be much higher than the official total. But this is true of most countries. The lead country in testing is Iceland.

OK. Take testing per million of 14,000. This is low if confirmed infections is 7,000 per million but high if confirmed infections is 10 per million. Looking at tests per million is crude because it does not take into account the infection rate in the country.

The alternative that I suggest is to look at is number of tests done to find one infection. If you only test for severe illness, the testing rate per infection will be close to 1. Testing rate per infection that is, say, 50 or more, does not suggest that testing is limited to severe illness.

Yes, Iceland is high in terms of tests done per million, but in terms of tests done per infection found, which is 25, is not as high as S. Korea or Thailand.

It is really hard to see how more tests can be bad......unless you are actively trying to find as few cases as possible so your numbers look good.....hmmmm, I wonder.......

Dan, I think you could also add NZ to your 'flatteners' list.

This link may not open in some locations so below is what said re NZ;
https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/a...ttle-against-coronavirus-20200424-p54my1.html

New Zealand’s strategy was to go hard and go early. As the COVID-19 death toll soared in other parts of the world, Jacinda Ardern’s government implemented “level four” restrictions on March 25, shutting down schools, offices and all non-essential services.

Now, after four weeks of lockdown, the country boasts one of the lowest rates of confirmed cases per 100,000 people in the world and a transmission rate (which shows the number of times each person with the virus passes it on to another) of less than 0.48 per cent. The overseas average is about 2 to 2.5.

As Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern declared on Monday: “We have done what very few countries have been able to do. We have stopped a wave of devastation.”

By Friday, New Zealand had recorded 16 coronavirus deaths out of 1451 cases of the virus. It had also conducted 101,277 tests – or the equivalent of 21,002 tests per million people. (By comparison, Australia had 75 deaths, 6667 cases and 18,300 tests per million people.)

Restrictions will ease slightly this week, when certain businesses will be allowed to return to trade, including those in the food, construction and forestry sectors. Schools will also reopen, although parents have been advised to keep their children at home if possible.

And like Australia, it is too soon to say if New Zealand has really beaten coronavirus.

“As Singapore has shown, even successful countries can have another wave if precautions are relaxed,” says Melbourne University Professor John Mathews, a former deputy chief medical officer to the Australian government. “Even good strategies can fail due to bad luck.”

PSX_20200425_161145.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom