What is happening in Singapore right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YES. Those cases outside the dorms is the most worrying. How did that happen?
Any chance that illegal migrants from eg Indonesia or Malaysia came in as carrier?

In HK our expert recommended 2 x 2wks as minimum because of few known cases with over 2 wks of incubation period!

This virus is incredible!

Blinded by bigotry? Pffft... SHE BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE!!!

lighten' up, kids. no one knows sht about this pandemic.

These people probably do! Pay particular attention to paragraph 2

Covid-19: four fifths of cases are asymptomatic, China figures indicate

I'm no medico, so the question I ask is " how deadly is a virus that produces no symptoms in 80% of the people infected?"

I would also like to see figures of how many healthy people died purely FROM corona virus as opposed to how many died WITH corona virus and a compromised age/ illness related immune system.

In Australia the respective state governments can't even agree as to whether it is safe to send kids back to school because of social distancing as our CMO claims that children don't seem to spread the virus.....???????

The final outcome will be a lot of foreclosed real estate and devalued shares up for grabs at bargain prices and we get to vote for these crafty clowns again.

how deadly is a virus that produces no symptoms in 80% of the people infected?
As a percentage? Of all carrying the virus? Not sure we know yet and it seems to vary regionally pending on healthcare, how overwhelmed and how the dead are counted (dead with Corona virus proven present, assumed present or death known to have been caused by it).
How as in how does it kill you?
This is what it can do in those that are hit hard by it:
How does coronavirus kill? Clinicians trace a ferocious rampage through the body, from brain to toes | Science | AAAS

I'm no medico, so the question I ask is " how deadly is a virus that produces no symptoms in 80% of the people infected?"

I would also like to see figures of how many healthy people died purely FROM corona virus as opposed to how many died WITH corona virus and a compromised age/ illness related immune system.

In Australia the respective state governments can't even agree as to whether it is safe to send kids back to school because of social distancing as our CMO claims that children don't seem to spread the virus.....???????

The final outcome will be a lot of foreclosed real estate and devalued shares up for grabs at bargain prices and we get to vote for these crafty clowns again.

80% asymptomatic, which means 20% symptomatic. Some percentage of that will need hospitalization. Can medical resources handle it all at once? Some percentage will require ICU. Are there resources enough to handle all of that at once? Or at some rate? Maybe the virus isn't that deadly if everyone who ends up in the hospital can get excellent care, but that won't happen if resources are lacking.

The whole lockdown/shelter-in-place works best at the beginning of the spread. Slower spread, less deadly, because better care can be provided.

There may be no vaccine or herd immunity ultimately, but things can be managed in the long run. With time, more resources can be put in place, so that the mortality rate is low.

Figures can lie and liars can figure. I honestly don't think we are ever going to see the true numbers of this pandemic. 100 years later and the best they can do with the mortality rate of the Spanish flu was 50 to 100 million deaths. Umm, that's kind of not much better than guessing.

The last time our hospital used a portable morgue was three years ago, when we repaired the refrigeration unit. We ran 2-3 as a census and were concerned when we got to 5. Our total capacity is 12. For the last three weeks we were regularly running at 12-13 with overflow of 6. Admissions have slowed and we have some empty beds in the COVID-19 units, but deaths lag admissions by around 2 weeks.

Bigotry??? This is ridiculous. There is no western or eastern science. There is science. Science of diving, physics, mathematics, medicine, pharmacology... There are studies that are done with several arms, randomization and other techniques to make sure that the results are valid. The studies work just as well out East and out West and anywhere in between. They can help to sort out a lot of superstitions, regardless of where they originated. Furthermore, I take an offense to your comments. No body is out there to get you. No one is calling you names. No one is here waging a war on East. No one is here being a bigot.
Good luck and stay healthy.

Precisely what I said - you do not even recognize science when you see it. All selectively when the source is not Western origin. If you re-read what I wrote - I specifically wrote "western origin science" not western science. It is a toxic form of Euro-centricism where otherwise intelligent minds transform into cretinous minds to imagine things about other non-European cultures - like scooping sh!t from the floor and licking it, or drinking p!ss - like you posted earlier. Whereas the actual cultivation of cow farms and extraction of distilled and purified cow urine has been done in a very scientific manner for medical applications going back centuries. As yet another example - It may be news to you that many forms of elaborate processing in Ayurvedic powders with their formulations written 1000 years back result in the creation of carbon nanotubes - a new "discovery" in modern western origin science and a hot research topic for biomedical applications.

So I that's what I meant - A shorter word for that brand of Euro-Centrism is a BIGOT!

Cow urine has been granted US Patents (No. 6,896,907 and 6,410,059) for its medicinal properties, particularly as a bioenhancer and as an antibiotic, antifungal and anticancer agent. With regard to the latter, it has been observed to increase the potency of “Taxol” (paclitaxel) against MCF-7, a human breast cancer cell line, in in vitro assays (US Patent No. 6,410,059).

Cow urine distillate as bioenhancer

Lets leave it at that.

Instead of cow urine can we all just agree to call it Gatorade?

................." how deadly is a virus that produces no symptoms in 80% of the people infected?"

If I may ask, where did the '80% of those infected show no symptoms' come from? One of the many links in this thread, or..............?

Well, by the same token then, how many people die because of the 'normal flue' that do not already have underlying illnesses, or from age related compromises.

If I may ask, where did the '80% of those infected show no symptoms' come from? One of the many links in this thread, or..............?
I'm not the British Medical Journal, read the article in the link I posted

Well, by the same token then, how many people die because of the 'normal flue' that do not already have underlying illnesses, or from age related compromises.

Knock yourself out. About 1500 to 3000 die in Australia from the flu per year which makes covid 19 look like a pussy.

how many people die from the common cold in australia - Google Search

Back
Top Bottom