What is good dive gear for a newcomer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also don't like AI computer. I started with one, in fact, still using one but removed the wireless transmitter already. Yes, the only thing I missed is the logging of start and end pressure and average SAC. Nothing I miss while I am diving, so I am happy go go without. Paying extra for features that I don't use under water is not worth it to me.

For Hollis regulators breath well, make sure you get a real deal. They are known for running deep discount. If you get an average deal on one, you will find later Hollis is selling the same model at easily 1/2 of what you paid for. Nothing important if you are keep it for a long time, but if you want to sell and upgrade later, you will lose big percentage

A number of people seem to think that, but for some of us I'd disagree.

I like a dive computer that can log my dives, then download to my computer later. Lets me keep a good log book without having to bother writing things down at the time, plus gives me average depth, a graphed dive profile, and a SAC rate.

An AI computer logs my start & end pressures, which is useful for my log book. Diving in Bonaire, I don't care to bother writing stuff down, or leave much in the truck between dives.

Richard.
My Liquivison can log my dives and download to my computer but its not air integrated. It has a lot of great features that I love,though. I have the XEO and I love the touch interface, I love being able to change the gradient factors, and the dive planning is fantastic.

The LiquiVision Lynx offers AI functionality; you don't have to buy a transmitter for an AI wrist computer up front, but can add it later if you wish.

Console AI units aren't severely more expensive.

A person with a computer with AI capability, whether wireless or not, has the option to use an SPG if so inclined.

To me, AI is a good feature for some, not for everyone, but if you get a computer without the capability, you don't have the option later if you change your mind. But you will save a little money. Find out how much (or how little) before you throw away the option.

Different strokes, different folks.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom