What is going on With Dive Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarrenZ

The Ultimate Bad Example
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got through renewing my Dan Diving insurance and was just forced to downgrade to the master plan that dosnt even cover medical evacuation if I need it after getting bent! I hope to never need this but when you will be diving 12+ hours from decent dive medical care it is an important consideration. I live in New Mexico and was on the "Preferred" level of coverage which is no longer available to me and was where DAN Insurance previously topped out.

Because of this I tried to switch to dive-assure and they greeted me with a notice that they cant pay for Cuba or for diving accidents in the USA. Whats going on does any one know? Is all dive insurance getting more limited?

Is New Mexico that bad for insurance regulations? I would have gotten the Guardian plan If it was available to me.

It isn’t New Mexico, it’s the cost of treatment.

It isn’t New Mexico, it’s the cost of treatment.
It's New Mexico.

I just checked because of this thread. I live in Colorado and do most of my diving in New Mexico. I can get the preferred plan. When I then pretended I was from New Mexico and tried again, I could not get the preferred plan.

I think you would have to call DAN for an explanation. The only thing I can think of is that the state might have some kind of law that interferes.

It's New Mexico.

I just checked because of this thread. I live in Colorado and do most of my diving in New Mexico. I can get the preferred plan. When I then pretended I was from New Mexico and tried again, I could not get the preferred plan.

I think you would have to call DAN for an explanation. The only thing I can think of is that the state might have some kind of law that interferes.
I emailed asking them I will post what they come up with.

I called and talked to them directly. The New Mexico State Board of insurance barred DAN from offering anything more than the master plan. You will have to ask them why. It was not a DAN decision.

If you have the preferred plan because you live in another state and dive in New Mexico, you are still covered under the preferred plan.

I emailed asking them I will post what they come up with.
Every state has different rules for insurance. DAN just resells someone else's product. DAN will have no idea what the New Mexico rules are. So do not expect to get an detailed answer. They just know that the insurance provider will not (can not?) sell a product like the preferred in that state.

Well. I’ll be.

When I lived in TX, I could not get the Guardian plan (I think it is its name, the top-top choice). Now in Florida it is available to me.

Insurance primer 101:
- every state (province) makes up their own rules
- insurance companies are in it for the money (profit!)
- insurance providers get to decide if they want to make money
- you have no right to be able to buy insurance (not like guns?)
- sometimes it sucks to be you

Please feel free to ask any insurance related questions. Please do not be offended if the real world answers mean it sucks to be you.

I am getting ready to move to Washington State and insurance options have changed there too. Only thing available is the top tier Guardian Plan.
And I just checked Dive Assure and their coverages don't include anything in the USa itself. Only when traveling abroad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom