What is Current Behavior Like at Bowman's Beach/Deception Pass Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
Bowman Bay's boat ramp with a picnic table just inches away, seems to be the ideal location for me to take quick dips to check for drysuit leaks, etc. without hauling gear
far and getting to a rest room mirror quickly for that leak spot check...

I couldn't find anything specific about current flow in Bowman's Bay in N.W. Shore Dives. Roario Beach is more interesting dive wise but a fair amount of hauling and climbing...

Does the current just flow along the beach? Any currents to watch out for in particular? No chance of getting sucked over towards Deception Pass area, etc.? The sticks I threw near the end of flood pretty much drifted very slowly Southward parallel to the beach. I only need to dive to about 10-20 ft. to do the suit leak test.

Thanks

OK, I've now answered my own question! :)
Bowman's Bay on Fidalgo Is. didn't seem to be current intensive on an "all day" flood tide anyway. The viz was low, maybe 10' when swimming through sea lettuce didn't cause mini-silt ups.

The bottom is very flat. I had to go out 50-100' (estimating) before it got deeper than 12'. This was around 3:00 p.m. if anyone wants to consult a tide chart.

The bottom was far more interesting than expected. Tons of overlapping leaf inprints on a sand and gravelly bottom. I'm guessing the imprints are brown from tanic acid or iron? There were also several crab nesting with babies in sand bowls and several sculpin and darting shy small fish. I'm not sure but they resembled baby sea perch maybe.

Anyway, current wasn't an issue at all which I wondered seeing as Deception Pass is just around the corner.

The best news, maybe, just maybe, my drysuit will now stay dry!

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier or I could have told you about the benign nature of Bowan Bay.

Just outside of Bowman Bay the currents require planning.

We were up there boating in the area last weekend. Beautiful weather and though we didn't do any diving this trip, the currents mid-day were mild and Sares Head just to the North of Bowman Bay would have been an excellent dive.

Hi Uncle Pug,
Thanks for the additional info. I was aware from the N.W. Shore Dives book about the currents outside of the bay (West of Rosario Head, etc.) but not inside Bowman's itself.

I live in Anacortes so Sares Head is on my "to do" list. I've been thinking about doing it the first time as a live boat drift dive so I know the lay of the land and current behavior...

I too just got back from a fantastic 8 week boating vacation in Desolation Sound and diving the Saskacthewan 3 times (!) in Nanaimo on the way upcoast and down.

Glad to see you back on the board after some time away.

What is Current Behavior Like at Bowman's Beach/Decption Pass Park?

I don't know if this is what you are looking for...

Gentle Reader,
You are asking what is Current Behavior Like at Bowman's Beach/Decption Pass Park?
Generally, the ladies are very refined, and most of the men act as gentlemen. Of course, you will also find men and women who's behavior is just Scandalous !
Miss Manners

Can I come, too?

Currents in the area look good for Thursday 28th through Saturday 30th but since Sares Head is exposed and at the end of the Strait of Juan de Fuca weather can make a significant difference. Best as a live boat dive in any case.

Uncle Pug:
Currents in the area look good for Thursday 28th through Saturday 30th ...
Bummer ... I'm going Oct. 01.

Story of my life ... a day late and a dive short ... :shakehead

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oct 1 will be OK... just not for me. Actually the best timing is on Thursday/Friday and then we starting getting into spring tides again as well as the slack gets later and later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom