What is a RIX SA-6G worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kgault

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greetings,

I was following another thread in this section discussing the choice of an SA-6G vs other compressors.

I have been assembling my desired filtration system in preperations for purchasing a compressor this fall. I was discussing my options with the owner of one of the shops that I overhaul regulators for when he mentioned that he had an old Rix compressor in storage off site that he would be willing to sell.

The compressor was last run 5 years ago, and was purchased 12-15 years ago.

I believe it is a SA-6G compressor from looking at it; Any Idea what the compressor is worth in this condition?

I had been planning on checking out the continuous duty electric compressors (3.5 to 5 cfm) at DEMA. I was leaning towards getting a Bauer as I have done minor maintenance on a few 10-15 cfm shop compressors.

Thanks,

Keith

Assigning value to a compressor is particularly difficult, now more than ever, with the economy down, dive shops closing up across the country the last however many years, and on top off all that we are going into the off season for diving. Many people regard the RIX compressors as highly desirable which will tend to keep the price up, but still this is a buyers market, and very good deals can be found, particularly if your willing to chance buying sight unseen from places like government liquidation, etc. where these units often sell for pennies on the dollar. To give a couple of examples, in the last few years I have bought a small ex firehouse 3.2 CFM Mako/Bauer Purus for $250 (plus 1,500 miles of driving round trip to pick up), and a 15 CFM diesel powered military surplus Davey for $400, of course I have spend more than I paid for both of them doing such things as upgrading filtration, adding fill whips and CO monitor to the Davey, etc. Still this gives you some idea of what sort of deals are out there if you look.

Ike

If it's running and pumping pretty strongly (5cfm or above) and in decent basic shape it's worth $3000 for a basic unit, and up depending on motor (gas or electric) age, any extra included filtration (it WILL need an extra moisture seperator and filter combo), general condition (nice paint?, cracked shroud?, corrosion on aluminum parts?, worn rod ends?, newer SS heads?). After rebuilding one of these last winter and converting it from gas to an electric motor I gained some knowledge and insight into these things. If you have any questions you can call RIX and talk to one of their customer service people. They were very helpful during my rebuild. I have to say that while I am satisfied with my RIX for what I have into it, I would prefer to have a Bauer if money were no object.

SA3 and SA5 are pretty hard to tell apart if you don't know what to look for, so be sure to get a look at the nameplate before you start haggling.

I think $3000 is high for a SA6 unless it is recently rebuilt and updated, or a pretty recent unit, or has extra filtration with it. You want to hear it run and fill a few tanks before you start haggling, at the very least. Oh, if it has been sitting a long time the rod ends will need greasing with special Rix grease, and you don't want to run it long without, making it difficult to evaluate the unit.
A really beat Rix (and many of them are) can go through money fast.The older ones had rudimentary filtration, count on spending an extra $500 to $1200 to add a media stack and constant backpressure valve, if it doesn't already have them.

SA3 and SA5 are pretty hard to tell apart if you don't know what to look for, so be sure to get a look at the nameplate before you start haggling.

I think $3000 is high for a SA6 unless it is recently rebuilt and updated, or a pretty recent unit, or has extra filtration with it. You want to hear it run and fill a few tanks before you start haggling, at the very least. Oh, if it has been sitting a long time the rod ends will need greasing with special Rix grease, and you don't want to run it long without, making it difficult to evaluate the unit.
A really beat Rix (and many of them are) can go through money fast.The older ones had rudimentary filtration, count on spending an extra $500 to $1200 to add a media stack and constant backpressure valve, if it doesn't already have them.

I could not find the nameplate on this unit. I was looking all around the unit and did not find one.

This compressor will need to be gone over before it is ever started. The gas motor has not been run in 5 years.

I am looking for information so that if we get to the haggling stage that we will have no hard feelings either way when it is all done.

It has no add-on filtration with it, but I have already picked up two full sized towers that I am planning on adding to whatever I get.

Thanks,

Keith

If you pull the shroud off (1 bolt requiring a 7/16 wrench) there should be a tag riveted to the top of the compressor block with the model info.

If you pull the shroud off (1 bolt requiring a 7/16 wrench) there should be a tag riveted to the top of the compressor block with the model info.

Great, I found it.

The compressor is a model SA-6B without the dual belt upgrade.

I took some photos and sent them to Eric at RIX Industries. The compressor has the upgraded cooling coils, but not the upgraded 3rd stage cover.

It also appears to be missing the pulley side counterweight - the last person to run it related how it walks across the floor while running.

Thanks,

Keith

I got agood deal on my rix sa6g at 2grand with ta 3 foot filter unit. I replaced the engine it sucked with the outboard motor tank. And the pump quit. Replacced it with one from harbor freight for 200.00 7hp robin electric start. Starts with pull just fine. You need the counter weight.

Eric helped me with getting the right owfners/parts manual. It pumps fast and smooth. I control the fill rate with engine rpm. Be sure to put a tach on the compressor shaft to make sure it is not running to fast. Mine was runing about 10% over speed so i adjusted the throttle stop to prevent it.

OH YEA THE ? EBAY GOES FOR 3-4K SOMETIME YOU CAN FIND IT FOR 2-3. RUN AN EXTERNAL C0/MOISTURE FILTER AND YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO. MAKE SURE THE SNORKLE WORKS IT GETS WARM AND THE HOSE STRETCHES AND FALLS OFF.

Back
Top Bottom