What is a rashguard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

themagni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What exactly is a rashguard?

That may sound like a dumb question, but the problem is that we just don't have those up here. With 40F water in the summer, the lightest protection you can get is a 7mm john/jacket wetsuit, and even that's a little light. So I've only seen pictures of a rashguard...

Is there a difference between one and a full-sleeve biking jersey? Other than pants, and are the pants just lycra pants, or what? I've got a couple of these, which are poly/spandex.

What about UV protection? I burn like a newborn vampire. :redhot:

I'm planning a trip to the Caribbean this year, and so I'd like to know what I should be wearing.

A jersey should work fine in the water, but it will provide zero thermal protection and may actually keep you cooler on the boat due to evaporative cooling when the shirt dries.

We offer a top which includes 1.5 mm neoprene panels on the front and back that provide a small amount of thermal protection. We recommend that you consider wearing the optional lycra hood which is very comfortable, but provides great sun and sting protection.

mcws_exp.jpg

MCLH-2.jpgMAKO Combination 1.5mm Wetsuit Shirt and Removable Hood

I wear a 3 mil in 84f/29c it's pretty warm on the first dive but feels better on the second. I also like the protection just in case you run into the unexpected jellyfish or sea urchin. I do wear a full Henderson Lycra rash guard under for the conveyance of getting in and out of my wet suit. you can also swim it in without a wet suit. The full sleeve biking jersey and pants will probably be okay for you. Here's one if you are interested, I hope this answered your question.

http://www.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wetsuits-Full-Sports-Skins/dp/B003554F0I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

Last edited:
Rashguards are worn by surfers to stop their nipples being rubbed off- it really hurts.
I think divers adopted them because it made getting in and out wetsuits easier. A plastic bag on the hand doesn't hurt either.

I wear something I think by IST (fairly cheap Taiwanese brand). It isn't neoprene but it's thicker than a standard lycra shirt. It has held up surprisingly well seeing as there is a fair amount of rub on the shoulders and armpits (where lycra shirts tend to fail).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom