What is a great dive shop in Cozumel if I am looking to hire a private DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready2Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This will be my 4th time to dive Cozumel. I have been on good dives there, but not the best...considering what I have been reading and researching.
I want to know if I have only been diving 30-40 dives, been a max of 88 ft, and will be diving with my own DM exclusive to me, who is the best dive shop
if I want to see the coolest marine life? What are the best places to go without having to worry about currents, undertows, strict air management skills, etc?
I want to hire one of the best videographers the island has too. I don't like messing with cameras or camcorders, just enjoy my dive, pay attention to my
surroundings, and pay someone to make the video of what I am seeing/experiencing. Since everything is pretty cheap in Mexico, I don't mind paying a premium
to get the best and hear that Aldora, Del Mar, and Pro Dive are among the best. I just want a good dive and not be crowded on the boat. I would also like
to try a night dive. I will be there 4-5 days and will be going to strictly dive!! I want to go at the end of February or first of March and don't care about
fancy hotels (but if they are as cheap as the others, don't mind nicer ones). I love diving and have all new gear.

Thanks for any help!!

You probably want to ask on the Coz forum Cozumel but I'll still offer some suggestions.

This will be my 4th time to dive Cozumel. I have been on good dives there, but not the best...considering what I have been reading and researching.
I want to know if I have only been diving 30-40 dives, been a max of 88 ft, and will be diving with my own DM exclusive to me, who is the best dive shop
You're not very experienced. How many ocean dives have you done in the last 2 years? You want to hire a private DM, right? Almost any Op can arrange that for a price.

if I want to see the coolest marine life? What are the best places to go without having to worry about currents, undertows, strict air management skills, etc?
It's a marine park, not Disneyland. Currents are common, undertows are nonexistent, but you still need to manage all skills - and see what nature offers you.

I want to hire one of the best videographers the island has too. I don't like messing with cameras or camcorders, just enjoy my dive, pay attention to my
surroundings, and pay someone to make the video of what I am seeing/experiencing. Since everything is pretty cheap in Mexico, I don't mind paying a premium
Many Ops can book a private videographer for you. The best might be pricey, but good ones are reasonable.

to get the best and hear that Aldora, Del Mar, and Pro Dive are among the best. I just want a good dive and not be crowded on the boat.
I guess you could hire a private boat if you want to spend the money, or just avoid cattle boats. Aldora and Del Mar and not even similar; got to wonder where you got your info?

I would also like
to try a night dive.
Good idea. Got two dive lights? If not, I suggest LED lights - love my 4C LED. Got safety sausage and other signaling devices? Got DAN dive insurance - which plan? Just checking.

I will be there 4-5 days and will be going to strictly dive!! I want to go at the end of February or first of March and don't care about
fancy hotels (but if they are as cheap as the others, don't mind nicer ones). I love diving and have all new gear.

Thanks for any help!!
Go for a week. It takes a couple of days diving to get started good. You can get the best deals usually if you book air & hotel as a package, altho results vary. Use discount code TRAVEL100 on Orbitz to get $100 off on a week long package.

Got my info from just reading and asking around different dive shops here in OKC. You say you wonder where I got my info and they're not even close....tell me how they differ. Who is the best? I just want to find a good shop. I've only been there a few times and feel like I am missing a LOT!! I was on cruise ships and only had a little bit of time. THIS TIME....I'm going to go for 5 days, by myself, to do nothing but dive!! No shopping with the wife, no catering to the kids, no drinking, no drugs (sober for many years now), not even going to stay up late!! JUST DIVE. Anyway, I thought a few people would know about diving there since it seems to be one of the "Hot 10 Spots of the World." Anyone have any suggestions on where to dive, what the best reefs are, where the best chances are to see sharks, seahorses, seaturtles, etc?

How about nice hotels? Any suggestions on that (for $100 or less)?

Thanks!!

Did you look at the info on the Cozumel sub forum, linked in my previous post...??

Coz is a small island famous for its diving therefore an intense dive market with a collection of pretty intense fans here on Scubaboard. I've tried Del Mar and read a lot about Aldora as well as communicated a lot with Dave, one of Aldora's owners. In my limited and very personal opinion, Del Mar is a cattle car Op - just the opposite of what you are seeking, while Aldora is a premium Op - a little pricey but highest quality. OKC dive shops may not know a lot about Coz as the island is so easy to do without a group so many never try to take a group there, but those that do often use cattle car Ops like Del Mar.

I don't think you need a private DM other than for the first day maybe if you haven't dived the ocean in over a year. There are many other dive Ops to chose from tho, and I'd rather suggest you read over the Coz forum for a few days than me suggest one. My taste is more for the no frills 6-8 diver boats at lower costs - and then I ask about cash discount. :eyebrow:

I usually shop Kayak and Orbitz sites to compare booking air & hotel separately vs as a package. The packages are often discounted, altho not always - and Orbitz has a $100 discount if you stay a week. If you want 5 days of diving, make it 6, 7 nights and try using discount code TRAVEL100 to save. Do not book anything else with the plane ticket or package as they try to stick you with bad deals, such as overpriced ground transfers that are easier and half the cost if you just buy on arrival, poor trip insurance, etc. I hope you have DAN dive insurance already? I use TravelSafe for trip insurance if you want good coverage for medical, etc.

Do you have a Nitrox card? You can do 4 day dives a day, but I like to mix in at least one tank of Nitrox on the first dive after lunch when I do. Night dives are great and you get plenty of off gassing time if you do 2 in the morning, then 2 at twilight and night.

Hope this gives you a good start.

Check out Dive House out of the Fiesta American Reef. I believe they have a working office in town. I have dove with them dozens of times and they are a first class operation. They don't run "cattle cars" and cater to every level of diver.

Dive Paradise has always been a pleasure to dive with. They have several awesome DMs but I think Emilio is the best

you should try hotel cozumel. very affordable, good food, good location. Dive paradise operates out of the hotel and they pick you up everymorning at the dock at 0800. They will take you to whatever reefs you want to dive. they are very safety oriented and will not let you go too deep and they check the currents before you get into the water. they take you to a deeper location in the early am and then to a shallower dive late am. You are usually back at the hotel by 12 or 1 oclock just in time to eat lunch. afternoon dives leave at 3 oclock and night dives at 5 or 6 depending on what time of year.

My favorite reefs are
palancar horseshoe
palancar gardens
palancar deep
punta tunich
paradise (for night diving)
santa rosa wall

heck they are all good, too many to list

you can request a specific DM if you wish but they are all really good and its fun to see their different personalities
I like Emilio the best and then Goyo

stay at the hotel casa mexicana (filtered water, awesome breakfast).. its a few blocks away from deep exposure, and the pier is right in front where the boat will pick you up in the morning.

Deep Exposure is a technical shop (He, sorb.. whatever) so you can do whatever you want. Go with one of their DM's if you want somebody experienced I think many of their DM's are over 8K dives and they don't run cattle boats. Just call them and tell them what you want to do..

Back
Top Bottom