What is a good Gas (Nitrox) Analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question: If I don't bring my own analyzer when diving Nitrox at a reputable resort, I can check my mixtures at the start of the day with theirs. But will they have an analyzer on the boat as well? Or do I mark the tanks as mine and make sure I get those tanks? I don't want to take my analyzer on the boat... knowing me, I'll lose it.

DJensen,

After starting this thread, I did purchase my own analyzer and have never regretted it. I have used it numerous times at different locations. A few times I have even used mine and the resort's/dive operator's just to compare readings. I have never had any issues of the tanks that I have read and tagged as mine being used by others once on the boat, however, I am sure it is possible. What I have have found at smaller resort's either I am the only one using Enriched Air or maybe there is a few others, but the ones that do respect each other's tanks.

The procedures I have used are as follows:

When you take my reading(s) before the trip(s), I write on a piece of masking tape (which is on the tank) my results and name.
I store my analyzer in a small waterproof box with my day-trip bag; there has never been an issue of me forgetting the bag as it usually has my extra gear, dry shirt and sandels in it.
The issue I have seen on using a boat's analyzer are the same as ones as to why I purchased my own in the first place - I do not know the history or maintainence record of that analyzer. I have also seen some operator's do the land check of the bottles and not a second check on board. I preferred to do both...on land and just before the dive.

My recommendations are if you are planning to dive with Enriched Air, I would purchase my own analyzer.

For the record, I have only came across one time where the resort's / operator's analyzer did not work and that was due to bad batteries which were corrected on the spot.

Happy Bubbles,

~Michael~
:fish::fish::fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom