What is a good diving boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any boat that is still on top of the water when you surface from your dive is a good boat. It gets extra points if it is also capable of getting you back to the dock afterwards.

Any boat that is still on top of the water when you surface from your dive is a good boat. It gets extra points if it is also capable of getting you back to the dock afterwards.

Agreed!

I used to dive off this:
spearing.jpg

Now I'm going to dive off this...Somehow. At least I'll get there fast!
IMG00256-20110917-1100.jpg

These seemed to be adequate for Paul Allen:

Octopus:
octopus-2.jpg

Tatoosh:

tatoosh-2.jpg

but then there's always Eclipse:

eclipse-2.jpg

Note the 12 person submersible on Eclipse's afterdeck:

Eclipse.jpg

The boat I already own and love. It fishes.... it cruises.... and it dives like a champ. Not too big not too small.

Spring11.jpg

Theoretically.. if money was no object... what kind of boat would you buy? say.... fitting 8 people comfortably.

If I was in the Philippines, I would have a 75-80 foot banka built.

There is no such thing as "Money is no object" in the boating world. Remember whatever you buy you are going to have to fuel it, maintain it, and if you really have disposable income and get a personal dive yacht - Money to crew it. Not to mention the insurance.. You really need to give us more info - How much do you want to spend, do you want to trailer the boat, and if so what sort of tow vehicle are you proposing. Maybe youll keep it at a marina. all these things affect the base decision. How about filling in some blanks and I will help you!

Well Money was an object for me, but I just built a new dive boat in Cebu/Moalboal for max of 6-8 divers...

1 a pretty boat (640x427).jpg

Anyway took it for the shakedown cruise today and still have a couple of minor tweaks but I am loving it!!!!!

A 46' Newton is a good dive boat. You'll see them outfitted for 20 or more divers, so they're perfect for 8.

Of course, if money was really no object, you'd want to go a little bit bigger. Not too big though--it's a dive boat after all, not some silly party boat you drape with starlets and moor in Cannes during the film festival. Something about the size of an Aggressor (~35 m) seems right to me. Still maneuverable and small enough to dive off the vessel itself, rather than a tender. I'd replace a cabin or two with a decompression chamber, just in case you want to do some bend-and-mend diving. A submersible would be nice. A helicopter might be nice too, for scouting out whalesharks or what have you--so maybe we have to go a little bit bigger to accommodate the helipad. I can see how the price would tend to creep higher. Luckily price is no object. If it were, though, I'd be pretty happy with that Newton, properly equipped.

Back
Top Bottom