What is a good diving boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be operating from this big girl in a month. Pretty awesome for diving and living although her sister ship has a chamber on board!

sette.jpg

Skipjack all the way.... great amount of deck space and some nice creature comforts.

My 26' flybridge will dive 4 comfortably... Enough space to store 3 dives worth of tanks....hot fresh water shower...electric toilet...galley....fold-up dive ladder.
For 8 divers and money relatively no object....I would go with a Skipjack 30 footer, although that takes the option of trailer out of the equation.

So many boats are either all deckspace and no amenities or all amentities and tight on deckspace.
Aft Deck viewed from FlyBridge.jpgAft Deck pic 2.jpgHead pic1.jpgGalley.jpgDSCN1448.jpgBoat at Gap2.jpg

We just bought a 25' Outrage. Money was/is definately an object for us, but since we were willing to ship from anywhere on the West Coast to where we live in Alaska, we were able to expand our options.

Some of my criteria were:

Minimum of 17'

Internal fuel tank(s)

Cabin(size, not an issue, but survival in bad weather - big issue here)

Chime needed to be such that we could take moderate seas

Ability to hold lots of gear since we camp, fish, hunt, dive etc.....

Needed a trailer so it can be maintained at home

It seemed there were always trade offs when looking at boats, bigger cabin, means less deck storage area. Small and easy to tow, means less usable space and not so good in foul weather.

If you're serious about buynig a boat I would write down what features you want and start searching a lot of differnet places. Try not to limit yourself to just the local classified ads. That's where the internet saved us a ton of money. We shipped our boat up from Washington and when we re-sell it here in SE Alaska, we'll be able to make up for the shipping cost and more.

Since I havea Captain's license and drive boats for a living(sometimes) I come across a few that I thought were outstanding. One feature I do like for loading and unloading is the drop bow. Makes getting out of the water a snap too. Just make sure the thing never comes open while your running!

Boston Whalers have been a staple here in Alaska for decades, but the aluminum drop bows are gaining in popularity every year.

If I was back in California and diving the Channel Islands and staying on the boat, I would vote for something like a Skipjack. Everyone can come inside for the ride back to the mainland and stay warm, you can cook a hot meal, use the restroom etc.

Back
Top Bottom