What is a Good Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
sometimes, you have to admit, bad divers can be a lot of fun. I mean, lets let a few characters on the boat, for entertainment value at least.

Oh yeah... Their lack of diving skills are occasionally off set by skills in either drink buying or BBQing.

catherine96821:
sometimes, you have to admit, bad divers can be a lot of fun. I mean, lets let a few characters on the boat, for entertainment value at least.
yeah well, on the boat maybe - you relly wanna go any further from there, knowing they are an inwater nightmare????

I know many divers with thousands of dives and are technically superior divers. Sometimes they get too serious. For me, diving is supposed to be fun, not always about specific missions. There is a group od diversin SoCal called DiveVets who are the most fun-loving divers I know. They all have different styles, equipment and experience, but they still manage to enjoy their outings. I would rather dive with them and my other buddies that turn diving into a military exercise.

A good diver is one that swims slower than you when there's a big hungry shark swimming around.
60565843-L.gif

As I was reading everyone else's posts, my mind wandered around to my own experiences, and I had a thought about some of the lists of qualities I saw.

If a diver has almost all the qualities on one of those lists, that diver might not be, in my view, a better diver than someone else who has far fewer of those qualities.

The worst dive buddy I ever had was someone who had the entire boat load of divers on a week-long liveaboard fully PO'd. He was a very experienced diver with excellent skills. He really had only one real problem--he was so thoroughly wrapped up with his own personal needs as a photographer that he really didn't give a damn about anyone else. He would nearly shove people out of the way to get into photographic position and then stay there with his super-sized memory card slowly filling. While we were buddied (which was not for long), I could have drowned and he would not have known about it. Out of the water, he was a very friendly, personable, and helpful guy. In the water, though....

That one defect outweighed all of his other skills and characteristics.

I am sure that there are other defects that can counterbalance a pile of virtues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom