What is a good dive computer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe eventually but nothing soon. Just finished up AOW and hopefully going out next year to do our Cavern. No Tech dives for a little

Save yourself some money and dump the wireless transmitter option. There are great computers out there that can be had for a reasonable price. These offer more simplicity and less prone to failures. Remember that if anything goes wrong with that transmitter during the dive, your dive is over and you have no idea how much gas is remaining unless you also run a HP hose and gauge. There is much less to go wrong with a HP hose and gauge. I personally dive an Oceanic Veo 250 and have been very satisfied. I have used it all the way through trimix training (in gauge mode obviously). Just my 2 cents! Enjoy your diving and stay safe

I have owned Suunto products and have been happy with their performance. I've owned a Cobra 2, Cobra 3, Vytec, and Vyper. My current set-up is to use an air integrated transmitter enabled computer along with a technical computer that is not air integrated. I also have an SPG. This gives me two air pressure measures, and two gas computers. Truth be told, everything can and does fail. The question is will you have redundant systems so the failure is an inconvenience, or will they end a dive, or possibly worse. I find it very convenient to look at my wrist mounted computer and check my air supply. (Transmitter gives me that.) If that were to fail, I still have an SPG as a back-up. But, if the computer fails would you call the dive? Probably, because you have also lost track of time and depth with one computer. But if you suffer a transmitter drop-out, which I have never had, then the SPG will get you through the dive. Good luck with your decision!

Hoseless or not, a failures can happen. Thousands use hoseless computers including tech divers without a problem. They do require more stringent maintenance but can be very reliable.

NOTHING wrong with going hoseless. Good idea to be redundant when scuba. I would definitely have an SPG no matter what computer I was running. (but you already know that). Now if you said you wanted to save money and stay away from hoseless, I'd understand that.

NOTHING wrong with going hoseless. Good idea to be redundant when scuba. I would definitely have an SPG no matter what computer I was running. (but you already know that). Now if you said you wanted to save money and stay away from hoseless, I'd understand that.

Nothing other than adding ANOTHER FAILURE POINT. Sorry I forgot which board I was on and should have known I wouldn't be able to criticize the hoseless computers. Have a nice day.

I owned a Suunto D9 with transmitter, I have to be very honest & say I was fed up with having to pair the two before each dive!
And if you paired it before the RIB ride out and the trip took longer than expected they would need re-pairing, what a bore, on more then one occasion I was left with no air info.
My Uemis just needed pairing once & then that's it! done forever! PERFECT!
It can even detect other Uemis transmitters & show you their info!

Thank you for all of your information. I am thinking about the Suunto Vytec DS, Oceanic VT3, and the Oceanic Atom 2.0. Any comments? Should i pick something other than these? Does anyone have them?

Also will scubatoys.com match LP pricing?

Atom 2...
Have 2....3000-4000 dives each. A.I. manual is terrible but amazing computer...also have a mosquito, gekko, vyper, a few others..love my atoms...do solo deco on them all the time...lots of room to grow into some pretty serious tech stuff..but no helium

Nothing other than adding ANOTHER FAILURE POINT. Sorry I forgot which board I was on and should have known I wouldn't be able to criticize the hoseless computers. Have a nice day.

I do failure analysis/sytems engineering for a living and couldn't agree more. Sure today's hoseless computers are better but think of the trades.

You lose a hose (+ side). ANOTHER FAILURE POINT (Uhhhh, trade study completed).:wink:

Back
Top Bottom