"What I Did On My Saturday Vacation" by ClayJar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For some time now, I've been wanting to get over to Toledo Bend (on the border between Louisiana and Texas) to get some diving in. There is a distinct lack of transparency in the water near Baton Rouge. (Actually, there's a rather significant lack of even translucency around here, but I digress.) Toledo Bend was about as close as decent water can be found (although Lake Pontchartrain may be on the list for me eventually).

"...miles to go before I sleep." --Robert Frost

The plan was simple. Meet at a friend's house at 2:00am, dive at Toledo Bend, and be back around 5:00pm so one of us could go to work. After naught but a small delay, tanks and gear and snacks and we were all stowed away and ready to begin what would eventually prove to be far more of an adventure than any of us had dreamed possible.

The directions from Baton Rouge to the south end of Toledo Bend are simple enough. Interstate 10 carries you to Lafayette, from which Interstate 49 whisks you on its way to Alexandria, at which point highway 28 leads you steadily onward almost to the very banks of the Sabine. The details after that are not considerably relevant, but it would be wise to review them, should you decide to follow the path we tread.

Tread: "To walk on, over, or along."
Tread: "The part [...] that touches the ground."

There isn't much in the way of shore diving in Toledo Bend, so we were towing a boat. It's a nice boat that they've had for years. Of course, that means that they've also had the trailer for years. Naturally, that means they'd also had the tires for years. (If you are an adept grammarian, you likely noticed the subtle change in verb tense in this paragraph. Give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back as I continue with the story.)

About fifty miles into the drive, we were driving along the bridge over the Atchafalaya (rumor has it, some of the water there is technically "liquid"), when a sudden rarely-heard (yet easily identifiable) noise beset us. 'Twas the noise of a disintegrating tread and a shredding tire. After a brief foray on the fool's errand of trying to find an open tire replacement enterprise at the unholy hour of 3:30am, we returned to the trailer and met up with a kind officer of the law. He graciously used his mighty powers to summon Guy's Towing, and by a quarter to seven, we were parked at a Walmart with the boat trailer sitting there looking somewhat despondent.

I've been told that somewhere exists a Walmart at which is found a tire service employing many active and motivated associates, each of them ready at a moment's notice to assist the weary traveller. This was not that Walmart. This was the Walmart at which the two (eventually three) employees who deigned to show themselves in uniform did their utmost to convey to the masses their stolid indifference to the plight of those who showed the pure audacity to interrupt their well-practiced apathy. After waiting an hour and a half for service, further inquiries revealed that they had no intention of assisting us for at least two to three more hours.

Alas, but those poor decrepit souls had little chance to prevail against me in a battle of wills, for I have a *government* job. While others in our party were napping or becoming rather impatient, I was plotting their undoing. (Perhaps I should rather say that I was "plotting their doing", as this would be more logically correct, albeit somewhat grammatically foreign.) With the assistance of J.'s dad, I was able to remove the remnants of the failed tire from the wheel, and faced with a job half-finished, even the most apathetic Walmart associate must needs complete the task, as the lack of any record of the customer having performed half the work, it will appear the associate has actually *done* something, clearing the way for significantly enhanced laziness.

We were back on the road again not long after 9:00am, and during the long wait, we took the opportunity to purchase a new anchor and chain, which would prove invaluable, should we ever manage to make out way to Toledo Bend. (We'd also picked up a trailer light kit, as the tire had utterly destroyed the light on its side of the trailer when it blew, and we had plenty of time to get it installed while waiting.) As it stood, we would have a significantly abbreviated diving day, yet there was still time to grab a quick lunch before hitting the water for at least one dive. At least that's how we planned.

"The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men..." --Robert Burns

We started out of Lafayette (at which we had stopped for our brand new tire), and followed I-49 north to Alexandria. By all rights, the new tire was performing beautifully, however, J.'s dad became slightly apprehensive about the other tire. We pulled off at an exit, and he performed a quick pressure check. Apparently, the pressure was somewhat low, so he topped it off. That should've been a warning to me, but it was now over eight hours since I'd left home (with no sleep, by the way).

The tire didn't blow on the Interstate. It was perfectly fine through Alex. It was great over the highway... for thirty-some miles, at least.

Yes, indeed. About 15 miles east of Leesville, there was a noise somewhat distinct from the noise of the first tire throwing its tread and disintegrating. A quick glance in the mirror revealed that the tread was indeed all but completely gone... but yet the tire was still holding air. (Also, a steel belt tire, which is what we were watching, is significant more shiny than a tire in which the steel belts are covered with black rubber.) Driving along without any tread (or external rubber, for that matter) is not exactly "recommended", but as the tire was still holding air and we were 15 miles from the nearest community, we decided to press on (albeit at significantly reduced speed).

While it took rather more than half an hour, in the end, we did successfully navigate the steel tire all the way to Leesville. Upon stopping at a gas station, we were informed that we could procure a new tire at the Walmart on the other side of town.

I firmly believe that credit belongs where credit is due, and so, let me say that for all the work ethic and customer service the Walmart in Lafayette was lacking, the Walmart in Leesville made up for it doubly, and in spades. It was a pleasure listening to and watching the employees as they kept several bays in almost constant motion. I jacked up the trailer, pulled the wheel, and barely had time to finish my second bag of Skittles before the techs had swapped the shiny metal for fresh rubber tread.

Within the hour, we were heading to lunch, but even with the quick turnaround (and lack of roadside waiting) of the second tire, we had run out of time for diving. We had to head directly back in order to make it home in time to get to work (for the one of us who had Saturday evening work). As we ate, we pondered how close we came to getting at least a little bottom time in spite of it all, but without divine intervention, we had run out of options.

(...continues below...)

"If you're falling off a cliff, you may as well try to fly -- you've got nothing to lose." --J. Michael Straczynski

Okay, it seems that divine intervention was not quite *directly* involved, although I cannot be certain as from whence the willingness befell a coworker, but a willing (albeit likely reluctant, I'd imagine) coworker was found, thereby absolving us of the return time requirement. The dive was back on again. (Incidentally, if the coworker ever reads this, you have my most humble gratitude.) we drove over to the coordinates of the Dive Toledo shop, from which we'd planned to get a few quick pointers, if the opportunity arose (and as we were *many* hours late, we were positively swimming in opportunity).

Wouldn't you just know it. Pasted to the window was a note saying the dive shop was closed for the winter (except by appointment). That whooshing sound was opportunity flying by, and you may have heard a slight chuckle as it passed. Not to be dissauded at this point, we headed farther down the drive toward the boat ramp, which we found in apparently usable condition. (We would later learn that they had dug it down to usable depth just last week.) With the water beckoning and time marching ever onward, we transferred all the dive gear and tanks (thankfully full) to the boat. Several minutes later, we were on the water.

What do you do when you get to a huge lake and have virtually no knowledge of it, other than that gleaned from a semi-promotional map published primarily for bass fishers? Well, you say, "Um, how about over there?", of course, which is precisely what we did. We proceeded along the marked channel toward a couple islands, and then moved carefully out of the channel. The boat's depth sounder said it was around 25-30 feet deep, which seemed like a reasonable depth for a dive in unknown waters of unknown conditions. I readied our brand-new anchor and sent it overboard, and with the boat secured, we began gearing up.

The two others had a head start on me, as I was handling the anchor duties, so I was the last in the water. I set my gear up on an AL80, as J.'s dad was on an AL100 (which I brought for him) and Rachel (J.'s sister) doesn't breathe underwater. (You know, she could probably make a Spare Air seem like something other than a completely stupid idea.) I clipped off my pony, snapped on my lights, and went to grab my new instrument, a handheld digital sonar system (roughly the same size and shape as an Emerald Nuts container).

Have you ever had one of those "Oh, *fiddlesticks*!" moments (possibly with different lyrics)? Well, this wasn't exactly one of those. I saw the thing fly out of my hand over the back of the boat, but my immediate thought was, "No worries, it floats." J.'d dad was right there, and he did a quick pike dive and headed after it. My second thought was, "The manual makes a point of saying it floats." With him not yet surfaced, I glanced around for a low-floating bit of electronics. As he surfaced, I gradually progressed to the fiddlesticks. It's never fun to lose a brand new $100 piece of gear, and the vis was hardly great. At that point, I basically wrote it off (and felt really unhappy about it), but there was still diving to do.

Of course, Rachel and I just finished our Rescue certs last weekend, and on that trip, we also did wrapped up a Search & Recovery class. J.'s dad volunteered to follow us down and just hang out while we tried out our new skills, and as we had nothing significant scheduled for the dive (it was to be just a "let's see what's there" dive), we shrugged and decided we may as well try out a bit of S&R. There was no noticeable wind or current, so we just dropped straight down at the back of the boat into probably eight-foot vis (plus or minus two for most of the dive). It just so happens that right there at the bottom was a fallen tree still propped up at about a 20-degree angle, so we used that as the hub.

To anyone who has ever looked at me strangely when they see that I always carry a spool clipped off somewhere, I say to you a hearty "thhhbbbtttt!" At the tree, I signalled him to hold there, and I unclipped my spool and handed it to Rachel. I took the other end, and swam out as far as I could while keeping them at the edge of the vis. (Starting fully-extended wouldn't work well with all the trees, and you're not likely to snag a flashlight-sized thing, anyway.) By the second or third rotation, there it was, right at the edge of visibility. I stretched out, retrieved the lost device, and headed back along the line to announce the victory. I clipped it off to me, along with my spool, and off we went on the dive.

"It ain't over 'til it's over." --Yogi Berra

We scouted around the site for 68 minutes by the time we were done (spotting J.'s dad an AL100 worked like a dream). Around 30 feet down, it got quite dark, indeed, but we spent most of the dive in the twenty-somethings. There were quite a few downed trees, even in the area in which we were diving (not in the still-standing forest areas). We saw a few very small fish and at least one medium-small fish (I think it was following us). The unsilted vis ranged from about four feet to possibly almost ten feet, and whenever it started getting very bad, I'd turn us and head back approximately the opposite direction, giving the dive an overall star profile. (We ascended less than 25 feet behind the boat, so I did well, eh?)

Well, with all the delays, we had time left for one more dive, which we decided to make in the river below the dam. Rachel and I did a quick snorkel to check the conditions, and then we grabbed our gear (she didn't even bother changing tanks) and made a pleasant dive. We saw fish, and even two turtles, which are always fun to watch underwater. Parts of the river were fairly calm, while other parts were horizontal rock climbing (which is always fun). Around a quarter to sunset, we called the dive and went to load up with the dying light.

We had everything loaded back in the van and were turning back onto the road over the dam just as it was getting too dark to easily see, which was perfect timing for once on the trip. After a quick stop in Leesville for some food (FOOD!), we were on our way home. With any luck, we'd be back around midnight (after a day that had been rather longer than planned).

Did I say "with *any* luck"? I should've been more specific. It turns out that our considerably bad fortune was not *quite* behind us. We were minding our own business driving back to Baton Rouge, when once more the bad luck descended. The trailer lights shorted out completely, forcing yet another unplanned stop, yet in a stunningly brilliant validation that the law of averages even applies to luck, we just so happened to have precisely what was needed to fix the issue. J.'s dad grabbed the rest of the trailer light kit that he had not used earlier (when he replaced the destroyed remains of the light after the first tread was thrown), and right there on the side of the road, he rewired the trailer lights so we could get back on our way.

I believe it was around 1:30am when we finally arrived back and parked the boat trailer back in its designated space. J.'s dad unhitched it, parked the van, and grunted good night as he headed inside to get some much needed rest. I hauled my seven tanks and all my gear out and repacked it in my little car, and Rachel took care of the their gear (or maybe they left it for the morning -- I do not fully trust my memory of the final events of the day).

"...past is prologue..." --Shakespeare

By 2:00am, over 24 hours after I'd left, I arrived back home at last. The trip did not go at all as planned. Tires and wires and things lost and found, and I don't know that J.'s dad particularly liked the dive (appreciated, sure, but he's tropical), but it was certainly an adventure. Having finally spent bottom time at Toledo Bend, I am now certain that it will make an excellent site for a scubacache, and I'm looking forward to returning (possibly via canoe). Rachel and I can both now say that we've done real-world search and recovery, and diving in the dark lake water definitely adds another check to the experience list.

All in all, it was quite the day-trip. We accomplished the primary goal, diving in Toledo Bend, even in the face of nearly insurmountable odds. Almost nothing went according to plan, yet rather than becoming frustrated, we just kept going and eventually managed to have at least a little fun. (It would've been much less fun if we had to call the trip before even getting one dive in, but that still would've been a bit of a story.) When life throws you lemons, remember that lemons are almost neutrally buoyant and make great toys underwater.

Anyway, that was, briefly, the story of my Saturday. How was yours? :D

The best dives are not the dives which give you the clearest conditions or show you most beautiful sights.
The best dives are the dives which send you home with the greatest, most memorable stories.

all that for one day. I couldn't write that much for a whole year. nice report.

Love your writing!

This story just adds more weight to my conviction that scuba takes the absolute prize for the sport where you spend the most time and energy preparing for and cleaning up after, for the least time spent actually doing it.

ClayJar, great fun reading of your adventures, or should I say, mis-adventures. Thanks for sharing.

Good report Clay Jar but I have to ask...does your car plate say Clay Jar?? Reason I ask, while driving to Morrison Spring to dive on a Sunday about a week ago...I passed a small car with a Louisiana plate that said Clay Jar. We were out in the woods so the Louisiana tag caught my attention.

Just Wondering.

Now I feel guilty about doing the SUperior Producer on Saturday morning in Curacao with 100 foot vis....NOT! Sorry for your bad luck on the dive trip Clay, but hey, at least you got to dive!

Mike

GLENFWB:
Good report Clay Jar but I have to ask...does your car plate say Clay Jar?? Reason I ask, while driving to Morrison Spring to dive on a Sunday about a week ago...I passed a small car with a Louisiana plate that said Clay Jar.
Oh, no! I've blown my cover! :D

I and a friend were in the area doing a Rescue / Search & Recovery checkout trip. We got chased out of the Gulf on all four attempts (never even set foot on a boat), so we did everything at the springs. We were at Vortex for Friday and Sunday and at Morrison on Saturday.

ClayJar:
Oh, no! I've blown my cover! :D

I and a friend were in the area doing a Rescue / Search & Recovery checkout trip. We got chased out of the Gulf on all four attempts (never even set foot on a boat), so we did everything at the springs. We were at Vortex for Friday and Sunday and at Morrison on Saturday.

I thought that had to be you. It was Sunday morning and I was on my way to Morrison to to meet some ScubaBoard dive buddies. I flew by you in a red Dodge truck.

Diving in my old stomping grounds. I haven't dove there before but might think about it the next time I am down there. Sounds like you have had your run of bad luck for the year and now its time for the good times. Take care and C U in the depths.

Tatakai

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom