What hose lenth for bungeed octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The risk is so incredibly remote that I don't worry about it in the slightest.
Even if it DID happen, and you couldn't find the reg, shouldn't you both be comfortable enough to buddy-breathe until you could find your backup reg?

SparticleBrane:
The risk is so incredibly remote that I don't worry about it in the slightest.
Even if it DID happen, and you couldn't find the reg, shouldn't you both be comfortable enough to buddy-breathe until you could find your backup reg?

I agree the risk is remote, but exactly what are you gaining by incurring it? That was my instructor's point. This is a standard DIR way of looking at issues, not just equipment. What do you gain by taking this course? What do you lose? If you gain nothing, there's no reason to make that choice, however slight the disadvantage or however remote the possibility of its occurrence. Personally, I don't care if anyone dives with a slipknotted necklace. I'm not going to refuse to dive with them because they do. But I have to agree with my instructor that I see no advantage to using one.

Rainer:
Don't you gain not losing the mouthpiece?

With one zip tie holding the mouthpiece to the reg and a second one holding the necklace to the mouthpiece, it's impossible to pull the mouthpiece off by pulling on the necklace.

The GUE/DIR book "Dress for success" has all of this info and nice close-ups and instructions for rigging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom