What height cylinders do taller divers use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RS

Reaction score
Just wondering if the taller divers usually go with a taller cylinder or make do with normal size?

I regularly use lp80's / HP100's which are about 24 inches and have heard that a longer cylinder may be better for my trim and would definitely make it a little easier to get into the harness, but I haven't had a chance to try one. I'm looking at getting a used set of doubles (my first) and have the choice between cylinder lengths of 24" and 26", and am pondering if the extra cost for the taller tanks is worth it.

Would you say the difference is great enough that it makes a difference (that I should wait to be sure)? I'm 6'4".

Thanks in advance for your advice and humorous comments.

have been using hp 100s and steel72s lp about 1 inch longer than the hp 100s they trim out fine for me,im 6ft 3

6'0" 220 lbs. Double E8-130's trim out just fine on me. I have used Double Genesis 3500 PSI 120's and they were fine too. Double Faber LP 95's are a bit too short for me, and leave me a bit head heavy.

In all cases in fresh water using a neutral backplate, and no extra lead. In salt water throw on a steel plate and some weight on a weight belt and the same cylinders work as described above.

Mark Vlahos

Just wondering if the taller divers usually go with a taller cylinder or make do with normal size?

I regularly use lp80's / HP100's which are about 24 inches and have heard that a longer cylinder may be better for my trim and would definitely make it a little easier to get into the harness, but I haven't had a chance to try one. I'm looking at getting a used set of doubles (my first) and have the choice between cylinder lengths of 24" and 26", and am pondering if the extra cost for the taller tanks is worth it.

Would you say the difference is great enough that it makes a difference (that I should wait to be sure)? I'm 6'4".

Thanks in advance for your advice and humorous comments.

I'll turn your question around a bit. "Are there cylinders that tall divers should avoid?"

Personally I'd suggest staying away from the shorter bottles, HP80's, AL63's, maybe LP 95's.

Most of the rest are going to work fine for you. The position of the tanks will have more impact than the total length. Keep the bands high on the tanks At 6'4" you have enough wing span to reach your valves even if you mount the tanks a little lower than I would.

Your exposure suit and wing will have some impact also.

Tobin

At 6' 3" I find that my X7-120s (28 in.) are perfect in terms of weight, volume and trim either as singles or doubles. You mentioned that you're looking at lengths either 24" or 26" so I assume you're not considering the HP 120s. You might want to give them a look. Here's the spec chart from XS Scuba http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

Good luck.

I'm 6'4" or so, and my LP108's trim beautifully with no effort at all it seems, my old steel 72's tend to leave me a little head heavy and take some playing around to get trim fixed with them. The best bet would be to see if you can borrow anyone's doubles to try out and see what works for you.

Thx for the posts. I've actually just run into pretty good deals on a single hp120 and hp100 doubles, so I'll let you know what transpires.

R

Same here, 6'3", my HP100s (doubles and singles) trim out great, and my HP119 (single) and LP95 also trim out just fine. Of course, all of those tanks are within an inch of each other. My doubled Al.80s trim out fine as well, and they are the tallest tanks I own. I have a V weight with them, however, so I'm not sure how they would trim out otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom