Lessons What have you become entangled in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are some very informational stories, it has me wondering, once you are free from entanglement, is it a common practice to try and remove it/bring it to the surface as trash (if possible and safe) or is it just left behind?

In a wreck at 90', my 'buddy' freaked out when it silted out to almost nil vis, took the line back with her to the exit in a panic, I knew the wreck and did a external inspection of it before diving it, I found a hole in the side of the wreck [a fishing trawler] I knew the compartment with the hole was one bulkhead away, had to the ditch the cylinders which were caught on something? clear it, still no idea what it was, thin line? Pass the set through the hole just big enough to swim through, pick up the cylinders, clear the 2nd stage and put the whole set back on, find the ascent line and slow ascent to a stop.
I could have found my way out the way we came in, but did not take the chance.
This was more than 30 years ago, wreck diving course, my buddy failed.
I remember the guy running this course, he was a PADI Course Director, John Story, it was a civilian course the Navy paid for me to do [resettlement training to civilian life].

I dont know if I'd call it "entanglement" - but Ive been hung up in kelp underwater many times - generally easy to get out. (On the surface, I would call it entanglement- harder to get out).

I've also lost my fin in the kelp many times. And one time in shallow water, I got my fin caught, with my foot still in it. Reached down to pull the kelp - jeez the kelp was strong, but finally managed to stretch it and release my fin --- except what I really did was stretch my spring strap past the point of elasticity...LOL. My buddy was impressed by my strength,

"What have you become entangled in?"

Our best friends got a divorce and that left us with an "entanglement" that was more difficult than diving into fishing line, nets or steel downrigger lines. We talked about it and then let them both know that when it comes to war...... that we are Switzerland!

Dsmb line
Christmas Day 2021 at like 10 pm in the Detroit river got my left arm tangled right at the surface with my head half way on the surface.
Dsmb line was attached to a car that drove in the water, and I was tethered to a shore tender, between the two lines pulling me and the Detroit river current in 35° water pushing me in dark, I was tangled and scared
First time I had ever been tangled, first time I’d ever been scared while diving,
Didn’t dive for a few months after that, was pretty apprehensive about getting back in the water after that.
That was a pretty ****** night
Yikes

Dsmb line
Christmas Day 2021 at like 10 pm in the Detroit river got my left arm tangled right at the surface with my head half way on the surface.
Dsmb line was attached to a car that drove in the water, and I was tethered to a shore tender, between the two lines pulling me and the Detroit river current in 35° water pushing me in dark, I was tangled and scared
First time I had ever been tangled, first time I’d ever been scared while diving,
Didn’t dive for a few months after that, was pretty apprehensive about getting back in the water after that.
That was a pretty ****** night
Still trying to map this out…DSMB line attached to a car that drove in the water?

Still trying to map this out…DSMB line attached to a car that drove in the water?
Yea, they had to locate it, switch divers, attached Dsmb line to car for any subsequent dives in car to find car

one of my dive buddies was caught in a casting net thrown down from the East span at Blue Heron Bridge. It was a shock to her and to the guy fishing from the bridge. He begged her not to cut his net and they slowly moved to the East bank where she was able to get untangled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom