What happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bent Benny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Suunto Zoop (old school zoop not the zoop novo)

I just went for a dive doing some SAR. The max depth was 62' but I was searching along a ledge so although I started my search at 62' I was soon at 45', then back down to 55' then back up a little and back down. The ledge I was searching was very steep and craggy, hence why my dive profile was like this.

At one point, near the end of the dive, I had an ascent rate violation from following the ledge up too quickly, but it was just barely over what my max ascent rate should be (about 15' in 20 seconds).

Then I left the ledge at 45' to start my final ascent. This is where I am confused. At around 30' my computer had a ceiling icon and said to stop, even though I was ascending very slowly. I stopped for 10 seconds or so to try to figure out what was going on, but I didn't linger long as my air was at 500psi. When I got to 25' the ceiling and stop icons both disappeared and when I got to 20' it had me do a safety stop like normal.

So I'm wondering if this was just the computer telling me to stop ascending because my violation could become a serious problem, or if it is on its way out. I'm looking for a reason to buy a computer with a wireless transmitter so I kind of hope it's just the computer dying.

I have a Suunto Zoop (old school zoop not the zoop novo)

I just went for a dive doing some SAR. The max depth was 62' but I was searching along a ledge so although I started my search at 62' I was soon at 45', then back down to 55' then back up a little and back down. The ledge I was searching was very steep and craggy, hence why my dive profile was like this.

At one point, near the end of the dive, I had an ascent rate violation from following the ledge up too quickly, but it was just barely over what my max ascent rate should be (about 15' in 20 seconds).

Then I left the ledge at 45' to start my final ascent. This is where I am confused. At around 30' my computer had a ceiling icon and said to stop, even though I was ascending very slowly. I stopped for 10 seconds or so to try to figure out what was going on, but I didn't linger long as my air was at 500psi. When I got to 25' the ceiling and stop icons both disappeared and when I got to 20' it had me do a safety stop like normal.

So I'm wondering if this was just the computer telling me to stop ascending because my violation could become a serious problem, or if it is on its way out. I'm looking for a reason to buy a computer with a wireless transmitter so I kind of hope it's just the computer dying.
What does your manual say?

Could it have been a deep stop?
I don't know but I don't think so as I was nowhere near NDL. I dived this same spot with a very similar profile a few days ago and I didn't have this issue.
What does your manual say?
I probably should have consulted it before making this thread. I've read it thoroughly about a month ago and if the ceiling icon is active it means that you have a deco obligation, but the screen wasn't showing a countdown for a deco stop like it would on a safety stop. It just had the stop and ceiling icons active with no timer. I'll go through the manual again to see if I can find the answer.

Back
Top Bottom