What happened at Haigh today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't witness the whole incident, I surfaced as the rescue was in progress. A victim was brought to the surface conscious, but with chest pains and trouble breathing. They got him into one of the boats and brought him to the launch. Paramedics took it from there. That's all I know at this point. Anyone else know more?

if this is the incident that i'm thinking of, it was a "near drowning" incident. there was an instructor exam going on simultaneously and it sounds like the instructor candidates helped with the rescue.

let's hope that all involved are safe.

"Near-drowning" is is what I'm calling it. The victim was concious and breathing without assistance when he was transported to the hospital. I have no information about his current condition.

Several of the primary rescuers were, indeed, at the quarry for their Instructor Exams and had just completed the rescue simulation part of the exam. If there is such a thing as a good time and place to have a bad experience, this was probably it...

If that was the incident, you probably know more than I do. I surfaced as the rescue was in progress, so my part in the rescue was to get out of the way. I saw the victim on the backboard as they were getting ready to load him into the ambulance. He was on O2 and appeared conscious. His equipment was recovered and secured, but I don't believe the paramedics took it with them. From what I heard, he was carrying an awful large amount of lead, but again, only what I heard at the site.

Accident threads can work two ways: they can educate and they can titilate. Though I like the former, most of them end up being the latter and I'm reluctant to participate in these threads for that very reason. Speculation is the enemy of truth.

Although I was involved in the rescue, I wasn't one of the primary rescuers and there is a lot about the incident that I don't know. I do know enough to offer the following simple lessons for those that want to learn:
  • If you don't feel comfortable with a dive, either physically or emotionally, abort it. There is nothing down there worth dying for.
  • Get CPR and First Aid trained and then take a Rescue class. Rescue is the dividing line between "guppies" and "divers" and one of the hallmarks of a responsible diver. You never know when or where you will need the skills.
  • If you're having trouble, inflate your BCD and, if necessary, ditch your weights. This victim was able to get to the surface but too many accidents end with the victim in a deflated BCD and fully weighted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom