What Happen to DGX Quick Release Cam Bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While not exactly the same, I had a set of these on my first BP/W. Hated them. They kept coming unhooked and just drove me nuts. Got rid of them quickly.

Highland SS Tank Bands (pair)

I know several people who set their BC face down on a flat surface, unhook cam bands, and then put tank on that way.

I have not come across a thread where somebody loved the Highlands without cutting the clasp down.

I just don't know that many divers, lol. I can't imagine playing tanks down on the really small 6 top (felt more like a 3 top) that I just went on in Canada.

Those tank bands look the same.

They are probably all made in some guys basement in the Far East.

Other versions of the same sometimes have a little dive flag sewn into the band or a band with white stripes.

We operate a six pack. Laying the plate and wing down is most convenient way to do it for me. Obviously you want to put it tank down after putting on the new tank so as not to damage the wing. You don’t have things flopping all over while you are trying to change tanks. To easily lift a weighted bcd over the tank in our tank holders, you would have to stand up on the seat. That would present a problem in any kind of seaway.

That's the second time I've heard of someone laying down their rig and laying the tank on top. I'm not sure I could see this being done on a smaller boat that was moving / rocking though. Def a different approach. If I get these, I'll have to give it a shot. Right now I was thinking of attaching a lifting handle on the bp with a string to set it at the correct height. After that, cinch / QR bands should be pretty easy.....such a shame DGX stopped selling them.

Edit: @divezonescuba do these look the same as DGX that you have?
OTG Scuba Diving Tank Band /Cam Strap with SS Quick Release Hinge Buckle #OG-120 | eBay

Those are the same basic design as the DGX ones. The detail differences that I can see are the dive flags sewn on the outside, and the anti-slip pad sewn into the inside.

I like that anti-slip pad, in concept, but I'm not sure how important it really is. OTOH, I can see no downside to having it.

What I cannot see is the quality of the nylon band material and the quality of the buckle material.

It seems to me that the only really like point of failure on these is the hinge in the buckle. If that hinge pin (or whatever it is) rusts and eventually breaks, the strap would be useless. I see zero sign of rust on my DGX ones, but there is no way for me to know if those eBay ones are made of the same exact metal.

Also, the eBay ones are $32 each?!?! I think the DGX ones were $40 for a pair (IIRC).

I do think that QR bands are MORE of a pain in the butt than regular cam bands - IF you don't have any kind of hang strap on your BCD. But, I have never been able to identify any downside to putting some string or an actual adjustable strap on a BP/W to use as a hang strap. And WITH the hang strap - to ME - the QR straps are a LOT easier.

I do agree with an earlier post about the DGX ones and how the strap material really relaxes when it gets wet. I definitely make a point of wetting mine before assembling my rig.

Those tank bands look the same.

They are probably all made in some guys basement in the Far East.

Other versions of the same sometimes have a little dive flag sewn into the band or a band with white stripes.

We operate a six pack. Laying the plate and wing down is most convenient way to do it for me. Obviously you want to put it tank down after putting on the new tank so as not to damage the wing. You don’t have things flopping all over while you are trying to change tanks. To easily lift a weighted bcd over the tank in our tank holders, you would have to stand up on the seat. That would present a problem in any kind of seaway.

Agreed they're all the same (at least they look that way). I've seen ones from the UK that have the white stripe, they're ~ $22, not sure about shipping, I sent a message.

quick release cylinder tank cam band TCB3 with anti slip pad Red Hat Diving.NEW | eBay

As far as laying the tank down on top of the bp which is on top of the wing, aren't you worried about somehow damaging something? I mean, I could see doing it once or twice, but I would think every time you did it would incur more risk of damage at some point. Maybe I'm being to ginger with my gear, lol. I'll just have to watch it done in the wild at some point.

The way I do it right now while it's in a rack (single tank). Loosen the reg, loosen the camband, pick it up and over to the next tank. My octo is on a necklace, my 2nd stage in on a long hose that's coiled and clipped to a d ring along with the flashlight. All weights still on. I'm trying to imagine laying the tank down while moving all that stuff out of the way while being on a rocking boat...

Obviously, take this all with a grain of salt. I'm just not seeing it right, if I saw it in person it would be an "ah ha" moment for sure. This is just lack of experience, so I appreciate everyone's time.:coffee:

Those are the same basic design as the DGX ones. The detail differences that I can see are the dive flags sewn on the outside, and the anti-slip pad sewn into the inside.

I like that anti-slip pad, in concept, but I'm not sure how important it really is. OTOH, I can see no downside to having it.

What I cannot see is the quality of the nylon band material and the quality of the buckle material.

It seems to me that the only really like point of failure on these is the hinge in the buckle. If that hinge pin (or whatever it is) rusts and eventually breaks, the strap would be useless. I see zero sign of rust on my DGX ones, but there is no way for me to know if those eBay ones are made of the same exact metal.

Also, the eBay ones are $32 each?!?! I think the DGX ones were $40 for a pair (IIRC).

I do think that QR bands are MORE of a pain in the butt than regular cam bands - IF you don't have any kind of hang strap on your BCD. But, I have never been able to identify any downside to putting some string or an actual adjustable strap on a BP/W to use as a hang strap. And WITH the hang strap - to ME - the QR straps are a LOT easier.

I do agree with an earlier post about the DGX ones and how the strap material really relaxes when it gets wet. I definitely make a point of wetting mine before assembling my rig.

I was mid type when you posted. I found a cheaper set from somewhere else posted above. My plan is to tie something to hang it like my old jacket bcd. I like that idea and would make more sense if it was QR on the back. I have rubber pads that are removable from the other cam band I can always use if not included. Might help some.

Do you know the thickness of the QR cambands. Is it regular 2"?

Edit: on the 2nd ebay posting that I linked for $22 it says it right in the 1st line of the description. 2" camband with anti slip pad

I used to lay my rec BC down in order to put the tank on. The single plastic cam buckle was not as good as the two on my BP/W and could not genrerate as much tension on the band. Also if the strap was not exactly square on the tank, once I the water, would move and loosen.

When I switched to the BP/W I slide the bands over the tank until it sits where I want it, then tighten the top band to hold it in place. I then make sure the lower band is square and in the proper place and tighten. Going back to the upper band, I set it square and tighten. It takes less time than typing a description. It never dawned on me to put on a hang strap since it was easy without it.

I haven't used the anti slip pad, since I haven't had a tank slip. When I started, occasionally would have a band put on improperly, but the other, and the tension between the two would keep the tank in place. I picked up a band for use on my rec BC, and this solved the tank loosening problem issue, I believe because the cam can make the band tight enough dry to keep it tight when the band stretches when it is immersed.

Bob

When I switched to the BP/W I slide the bands over the tank until it sits where I want it, then tighten the top band to hold it in place. I then make sure the lower band is square and in the proper place and tighten. Going back to the upper band, I set it square and tighten. It takes less time than typing a description. It never dawned on me to put on a hang strap since it was easy without it.

This is the way I do it now. It's not that it's super hard, but always looking to make things easier. Lifting a steel bp with a wet wing loaded with ~ 10lbs weight along with the regulator on a moving boat is not something that I enjoy doing, especially when I have to unclip the new tank and balance it along with everything else. All why dressed in a tight 7mm farmer john, lol. I can do it, I just don't like doing it. I feel like something somewhere is going to get pinched or dropped or broken...

I haven't used the anti slip pad, since I haven't had a tank slip. When I started, occasionally would have a band put on improperly, but the other, and the tension between the two would keep the tank in place. I picked up a band for use on my rec BC, and this solved the tank loosening problem issue, I believe because the cam can make the band tight enough dry to keep it tight when the band stretches when it is immersed.

Bob

I got the anti slip pads because they were ~ $1 or $2 when I got the bands, I figured why not. I do find that having the 2 bands on the bp/w I haven't noticed any slipping. Not sure if the pads help, but I don't see where they cause issues either.

So I found these. They're not in stock right now, but it looks as though it cuts out the seller from ebay. I can do 4 x $22.15

OTG Dive

I think shipping will bring it to ~ $100...

Placed an order for the ones I linked above (OTG Dive). When I get them in I'll do a short review, although I have nothing to compare them to besides regular cambands. I'll give it a shot.

To order 4 with shipping they came to $26.75 usd / piece. I'm sure it would have been more for just one. Not exactly what DGX used to price them at, but not $40+ either (lookin at you SP)..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom