What Happen to DGX Quick Release Cam Bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I sent DGX an email, looking to get quick release cam bands, can't find them anywhere but from China. Was there a reason everyone stopped selling these? I see Scubapro does, but it's ~ $30/cam band, and most of that's to fly the SP name.

Did these type of QR have issues, maybe that's why people stopped selling them?

Thanks.

curious if it was a copyright/patent issue,,,,

I was wondering the same. Either that or they found a flaw, but why not just fix the flaw. I'm leaning towards copyright.

I found them on eBay from China for $30, but not sure if it's the same quality DGX sold (although they were probably sourced from China)

Edit: for $30 I would just get SP ones.

I found these knockoffs, but they look identical to what DGX used to sell;
OTG Scuba Diving Tank Band /Cam Strap with SS Quick Release Hinge Buckle #OG-120 | eBay
I contacted DGX. They said they used to carry them, but the supplier that they used stop making them and they could not find a cost effective alternative.

I very much prefer the aqua lung griplock cambands. Same idea, but better in every way. A bit pricier but ebay has them from time to time.
Those look nice, but at $45 they're more than double what I'd like to spend, and since I have to get 4 total, that adds up quick. Here's a video of them in action. They're nice;

Edge-Hog has them...they sell 2 different types as well.

I purchased a pair and put one on the bottom slots of my back plate and my daughter's, but to be honest they are kind of a pain in the arse...I have a normal cam strap to replace the qd one but have been too lazy to pull the qd one of my plate.

Edge-Hog has them...they sell 2 different types as well.

I purchased a pair and put one on the bottom slots of my back plate and my daughter's, but to be honest they are kind of a pain in the arse...I have a normal cam strap to replace the qd one but have been too lazy to pull the qd one of my plate.

I saw those, but they look identical to the knockoffs that I posted from ebay, but more expensive. DGX sent me a picture of what they used to carry and they're identical as well.

I know a few people have used cave line to tie to the top of the bp to set where the tank should hang. If I do that, then clipping the QR shouldn't be a big deal. It is a pain to try and hold and latch at the same time, I can only imagine it's a bigger pain with QR (if there's nothing to hold it).

At this point I think ebay is my best bet. I know @stuartv went down this road before by looking through old threads. He's away doing what we should all be doing this weekend....diving. I'll wait until he gets back to see what he thinks:)

The DGX tank bands were really inexpensive. Most others of that type are twice as expensive. The scubapro version is a bit different. We bought a bunch of the DGX version when we discovered how inexpensive they were. DGX was selling them for about the same as the wholesale cost from Innovative Scuba.

One thing about those are that the nylon stretches significantly when wet. So, if you set them when wet, there is no way you are going to be able to close them once they dry again. They are about the only tank bands that I think I made a practice of wetting prior to using.

I have them on my current single tank plate. To put the tank on, I just lay the whole plate and wing on the tailgate or some other flat surface and put the tank on top of it. That way, it is much more convenient than having to slide the tank thru two sets of one piece bands.

The DGX tank bands were really inexpensive. Most others of that type are twice as expensive. The scubapro version is a bit different. We bought a bunch of the DGX version when we discovered how inexpensive they were. DGX was selling them for about the same as the wholesale cost from Innovative Scuba.

One thing about those are that the nylon stretches significantly when wet. So, if you set them when wet, there is no way you are going to be able to close them once they dry again. They are about the only tank bands that I think I made a practice of wetting prior to using.

I have them on my current single tank plate. To put the tank on, I just lay the whole plate and wing on the tailgate or some other flat surface and put the tank on top of it. That way, it is much more convenient than having to slide the tank thru two sets of one piece bands.

That's the second time I've heard of someone laying down their rig and laying the tank on top. I'm not sure I could see this being done on a smaller boat that was moving / rocking though. Def a different approach. If I get these, I'll have to give it a shot. Right now I was thinking of attaching a lifting handle on the bp with a string to set it at the correct height. After that, cinch / QR bands should be pretty easy.....such a shame DGX stopped selling them.

Edit: @divezonescuba do these look the same as DGX that you have?
OTG Scuba Diving Tank Band /Cam Strap with SS Quick Release Hinge Buckle #OG-120 | eBay

While not exactly the same, I had a set of these on my first BP/W. Hated them. They kept coming unhooked and just drove me nuts. Got rid of them quickly.

Highland SS Tank Bands (pair)

I know several people who set their BC face down on a flat surface, unhook cam bands, and then put tank on that way.

Back
Top Bottom