What gear do you use, and why "that" gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBARACER

Reaction score
Zeagle Flathead VI Regulator / Zeagle Octo

- I bought this reg , cause the dive shop was out of stock of the Apex TX-50, I payed quite a but more for this one, BUT I love this thing, from what people tell me, it is one of the best on the market! The Octo was expensive to boot!

Mares M1 Dive Comp

- Ease of use, 1% Nitrox range, Nice buttons, nice backlight, and NEW! Computer also has many features, and I like it so far, I have about 60 dives on it!

Mares ESA Mask / Tilos? Tiloc? Panaramic Mask

- I bought my ESA cause I have prescrptive lenses in it, and my Tiloc is for when I wear my contacts, both of these mask ROCK!

Cressi-Sub Aqualight BC / Zeagle Ranger

- Small, light, not cramped at all BC, and 2 nice big pockets make this BC one of my favorites! As far as my ranger I don't know why I bought it, cause I like my Cressi Better, the Ranger is too cramped, and I don't like the back inflation.

DEEP SEE Dive knife, and some generic knife

- No comment.

Akona Roller Backpack

- Need something to carry all my gear in, and my fiance's gear too, it carries ALL our gear perfectly!

DEEP SEE Booties

- I like these cause they have a sole like tennis shoes do , hard, thick, and I use them for riding my Jet-ski's also.

Cressi- Sub Frog fins

-They were a good price, plus they have served me well!

Henderson Gold Core Gloves

- I have yet to use these buy I got them brand new off some guy for 20 bucks, cause they were too big for his hands!

Diveskins wetsuit

-I dont have any thing thicker than .50, and I dont think I need anything I dive in waters from 65-80 degrees with this and it serves me well..

Well I am just curios as too why you got your dive gear. or how you got it. deal? needed it? tech diver?

All of my gear is Cressi -Sub.I use it because it's real dependable gear and its reasonably affordable.

S111 BC: I like it mainly because i can stay horizontal while I'm under.But while im on the surface I stay vertical without any problems.The S111 has 2 valves between the side and back bladders which will equalize the air in the BC .

AIRTEC REG: This is a diaphram. Very easy breathing at all depth's. Can be adjusted how ever you want it. Very smooth reg.One down fall may be that it breaths the same no matter what you have in your tank.But If you watch your gauge you shouldn't have any problem. No free flow and good in any position.

Cressi horizon Mask: Good double seal, Great field of view.

Cressi Pro Light fins:

barrow my wet suit from LDS but it's a Deep Sea 7mm
good for cold water dives.

I have the below:

Apeks ATX200 primary first and second (soon to be a DS4 first)
($320.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW in box with warranty card)

Apeks ATX40 backup bungied
($135.00 shipped Simply Scuba)

6' primary hose
($30.00 Extreme Exposure)

standard backup hose
(Free Apeks's 1/2")

Gary's S/S (heavy 9lb) BP with harness slotted for cam straps
Gary's aluminum BP
($193.00 Gary Hoadley)

Halcyon S/S bp (6lb) with harness
($135 Ebay)

(2) Halcyon 27lb wings (have two, paid the price of one)
($420.00 Ebay - brand new for both, and came with MC packs)

OMS 45lb wing (for doubles), S/S BP, S/S STA, harness, xtra web
($240.00 Ebay like new)

Cressi Sub Horizon mask (black)
($43.00 LDS)

Oceanic Shadow mask (black)
($39.00 LeisurePro)

Ramora knife - black
($8.19 Sport Chalet mismarked)

Scubapro SPG
($63.00 Ebay)

Diving Concepts Ultra Flex Pro Drysuit Brand new
($750.00 Ebay BRAND NEW in bag with hood and warranty, whip)
Diving Concepts drysuit hood Included with dry suit
(actually I only ended up paying $550.00, cause I bought and sold another suit and made $200.00 profit on that one before buying this one)

Dacor 7mm Semi Dry Wetsuit
($175.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW with tags)

2mm Reef gloves
($9.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW with tags)

Oceanic 5mm gloves
($15.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW)

Booties (believe they are Oneil) very rugged
($36.00 Sports Chalet)

TURTLE fins (regular straps)
($74.00 ONLINE LY hooked me up)

(1) Catalina AL80 black
($89.00 Sports Chalet - BRAND NEW on sale)

(1) PST HP120 steel
($240.00 Sports Chalet - BRAND NEW on sale)

(2) PST HP80's steel with manifold soft rubber knobs
($335.00 Ebay - Current VIS/HYDRO, bands, manifold incl.)

Oceanic Data Plus II wrist mount (sorry had to have it)
($227.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW in box, warranty, manual)

DUI's weight harness II
($74.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW with tags)

Oceanic wrist mount compass
(Free came with computer - added wrist boot )

Akona LARGE mesh bp/duffle/shoulder bag - black (holds all gear)
($39.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW with tags)

Princeton backup light
($19.00 Online... can't remember store)

Why....???? errr...... because it was recommended AND is damn good gear!:)

I also have the below - duplicates

Henderson Hyperstretch full suit 7mm
($195.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW with tags)

Beauchat semi dry wetsuit 7mm
($135.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW)

Oceanic SPG
(Free came with computer)

Aqualung Calypso reg (new in box-turns out its a good lil $100 reg)
($100.00 Sports Chalet - needed in a pinch until my ATX40 came)

Dive rite travel wing (still not sure if it will only fit on a TransPakII)
($100.00 Ebay - BRAND NEW)

Grand total.....???? don't even want to know. :)

Northern Divers CNX 2-RI drysuit. It's flexible and stretchy, has a built in hood, excellent boots, kevlar kneepads, neoprene cuffs, and I got it for $760 :)

Tusa Imprex Pro BC. It's weight integrated, very streamlined, very comfortable, and was $325. Whoot.

Apeks TX40/DS4 with TX40 backup. Full Apeks setup for $220? :) Have the primary on a 5' yellow hose and the backup on a 29" black.

Jet Fins. My Frogs just weren't cutting it for my new drysuit... couldn't ignore all the hype, and wasn't satisfied with splits. Tried them, never looking back. Best fins you can buy.

Cressi Big Eyes mask. Fit my small face perfectly, loved the downward vision. I can see my chest!

3mm Wal-Mart gloves with holes under the index finger and thumb so I can pull them out to do something that requires dexterity. Wonderful gloves, they've been ok down to 45 degrees so far.. plan to get some drygloves for the winter though.

Sherwood SPG, no boot... it's just the SPG I had.

Aeris Savant computer. It's made for wrist mounting, nice big display, backlit, does Nitrox. It was on sale used so I snagged it.

EMT Shears and UK Blue Tang knife.

UK SL4 and C8. Both nice lights.. when I get rich I'm going to buy a Helios though :wink:

$3.44 bin from Wal Mart. Fits all my gear perfectly. :D

Much of the equipment I own was purchased because of extensive research AND price. I typically try to narrow down my selections to 2-4 choices that seem like they are the "comparable" best of the bunch, and then find the one with the best deal.

For example, when looking for my regulator, I decided I wanted a good mid-high end model. I did a lot of research on regulators in the +/- $500 range and came up with the Apeks TX50, Oceanic Delta 3, Atomic Z1, and Scubapro MK20/S600 (or something like that). All of these got consistent praise from users and the press, so I figured I would be happy with any of them. The nod went to the Oceanic because I found it at a DEAL :)

Regulator: Oceanic Delta 3 / PX2 (see above), purchased from Leisure Pro for a steal at $220

Octo: Oceanic Slimline (I figured I should keep it all Oceanic), purchased from Leisure Pro

BC: Scubapro Superhawk NT, bought on closeout at LP for $225 (only had size small left - which is what I wear). In my opinion, Scubapro builds the best BC's (not counting back plate / wing setups) -- very comfortable, good ergonomics, great build quality. What a great BC this has been...and at $225, I'm all smiles about this purchase.

Computer: Sherwood Logic, just bought "as new" on eBay w/guage and compass for $175. I rented one and really liked the display, so I thought I would stick with this one until an air-integrated computer is in the budget. This was my first used eBay purchase on dive gear.

Mask: Cressi Big Eyes. Fits my small face well. Also got it at LP for only $35

Fins: Mares Plana Avanti (because everybody else uses these) and Aeris Velocity. The Aeris I got on sale at my LDS. I bought these specifically based on a review in Rodale's, and they were right!

Snorkel: Have an Ocean Master dry snorkel and bangs me in the head underwater. So I just bought an Apollo snorkel (flexible and folds) so we'll see if I like it any better. It was highly rated in Rodale's.

Wetsuilt: Boz 3/2mm bought new for $50 on eBay. Another outstanding find!

Light: UK SL4 from my LDS. Fantastic build quality and fits my hand well.

Gear bag: Akona roller bag w/backpack straps. Rated very highly in May Rodale's magazine and on sale at LP for only $129. Once again, Rodale's was right.

Dry boxes: misc Otter boxes bought at LP. These things are tough!

Thx...Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom