What fin(s) for fit newbie size 14 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtRider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am half way through my PADI OW certification and am looking to start buying gear. I didn't want to buy anything right away because I am the type of person to research things (sometimes too much) and to try to end up with something I can use for a very long time. I have many hobbies and always try to buy good gear that has the adequate features and versatility for my future progress. I don't mind making the initial investment when I know it was well thought out and will make the sport more enjoyable and cheaper in the long run.
I am very comfortable in the water and my instructor has commented quite a few times on how fast I am picking it up. I am probably more fit than most divers as I do run and lift a couple times a week. I was a swimmer the first two years in high school too (not too quick - upper 24s in the 50 free) so that probably helps even though it was a decade ago now and I haven't done too much swimming since.
For fit considerations I am 6'1" tall, 195lbs, 33" waist, 14D size running shoe (true foot size 13D). I live in Chicago IL and plan to do cold water diving in the great lakes as well as take dive vacations down in Florida and Mexico. Also, I really don't have a good way to test gear and plan on buying my equipment online. My lds doesn't carry that much and there are a few other shops but they are all fairly small and I am the type to do the research and get it cheaper online. I know many disagree with this method but it has worked for my other interests and these msg boards help.

Now the first thing I am looking at is the fins. Like anything else there is a lot of differences in peoples preferences. I don't mind buying two sets if need be (for my different diving).

Lots of people like the jets so I was thinking of trying that as those can be attained used for cheap. What size would I need and what boots would you recommend? Seems like I am right inbetween XL and XXL size and as there is such a difference I am unsure if they will fit. Should I get both a 3mm and 7mm boot?

Whether or not I get the jets I will be getting another fin and buying it at a discount in a mask, snorkel, fin pkg. Others that seem to be much liked are the apollo bio pro and the mares quattro. From my reading on this board so far the sp twin jets and tusa x-perts don't seem to be as universally liked as the other two. How about the limited edition mares quattro excel? If I am going for one all around fin the quattro seems like the ticket but if I want to try something different from the jets I should probably go with the bio. My only concern is that the bio seems to be soft and I am a stronger build than most so is that a bad choice? Since fit would be a big factor what size should I look at for each of these and what boot? I figure my feet will rule out some altogether so that makes it a little easier.

Thanks for reading.

Turtle fins only come in one size:

Your size.

LINK

They'll fit size 12 in a rock boot, or 13w with a neoprene bootie.

I have a 14 D foot and use Harvey 5mm hard sole boots I bought from LP. My fins are original USD (Aqualung) Blades. I have two sets, one here in Chicago and one in Boca Raton FL.

If I had to replace the fins, I'd get the large Rocket fins.

I've got a size 12 foot shoe and use the Tusa split fins. I was able to wear a M/ML (medium/medium Large). For your larger foot you could easily use the L/XL(large/extra-large). These run about $99 on sale.

just a suggestion to consider.

Im size 12 and wear a Tusa XL split and Turtles. XL jets didnt even come close to fitting me

Coqui Diver:
With a size 14 foot you shouldn't need fins. Welcome aboard.

Thanks, we love you too.

Will I fit in a XL mares quattro? Is the quattro excel worth getting instead?

I take it that the XL jets won't fit with a boot but will the XXL be too big? From the chart I saw on one of the links in another thread and from the info here it looks like turtles will fit best for my true 13D size foot (wear 14D running shoe). Is this correct. Will they work with a thin boot and a thick one for the different water temps I want to dive in?

Will I fit in the LL Apollo Bio? Should I go for the stiffer XT model as it is supposed to be better for turning, stopping, and alternate kicks?

DirtRider:
...from the info here it looks like turtles will fit best for my true 13D size foot (wear 14D running shoe). Is this correct. Will they work with a thin boot and a thick one for the different water temps I want to dive in?
You will have to dive any fin to be absolutely sure, with both booties. However, I would bet the answer is, yes.

Feel free to come to Spokane and make a dive with me and try them out. eyebrow

DirtRider:
I live in Chicago IL and plan to do cold water diving in the great lakes as well as take dive vacations down in Florida and Mexico. Now the first thing I am looking at is the fins. I don't mind buying two sets if need be (for my different diving).

I won't comment on your northern fin choice, but if you want something completely different for FL and Mexico, you might consider long ones, like my Cressi-sub Gara 2000 fins. They make a 12-13 with a generous soft full foot pocket. I wear a light neoprene sock, but many go barefoot. I have a feeling you'll like the extreme speed.

You never said what kind of diving you might want to do, but this style of fins are exceptional for spearfishing on scuba and freediving. Many FL and Caribbean divers use them for all styles of open water because they really move out for athletic types.

You might want to check on www.spearboard.com

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom