What Film to Replace Fuji Reala?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody:

I haven't participated a lot in these forums, but that's about to change. For one thing, I've finally decided to go digital. More on that in other posts. This one concerns my fading days in film.

I'm headed to Cayman in a few weeks and recently tried to order my favorite UW film, Fuji Reala, for my Nikonos rig. Come to find out that the best news is that it's more than doubled in price ($3 to $6+ a roll of 36). Worse news: Nobody has it, even at $6+. B&H, Adorama are all backordered with no promises of delivery. I think I saw Amazon has two rolls.

Rather than fight it, I'm inclined to try another film. Anybody have any recommendations?

My experience with slide film has not been good. I do not use a filter, and slides tend to have too much blue for my taste, even with strobe lighting. Since I am switching to digital, I do not intend to invest any money in filters.

Reala had, for my tastes, good balance, with bright reds and yellows against good blues and greens. Part of my happiness was undoubtedly the processor I used to use (out of business as of the beginning of 2008) who knew how to print and scan accurately. Now that I have lost both my favorite film and favorite processor, I'm up against the wall with the clock ticking. I'd really like a solid C-41 film I can use to close out my 7 years underwater with film.

I googled Fuji Reala film characteristics and here're a few places to review your film options. Hope this helps and have a great trip.

California Creeks - Film Characteristics Table

About film - Lars Soerink Photography

Film Camera Accessories: FUJIFILM Reala 100 400 Professional 100 Acros, Kodak 100 8135717, review Ilford HP5 Plus

BTW, have you scanned any of your color negative film? This might give you a possible bridge to digital. Good scanners are cheaper than a digital U/W rig.

Finally, don't rush into digital yet. Olympus and Panasonic have announced a micro four thirds standard which promises even more compact dslr cameras. Of the latest batch of cameras Oly's E420, E520 and Nikon's D90 have looked the most interesting. But if you can get compact camera volume in a four thirds micro package, it may be worth the wait.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.aspdslr

Finally, don't rush into digital yet. Olympus and Panasonic have announced a micro four thirds standard which promises even more compact dslr cameras. Of the latest batch of cameras Oly's E420, E520 and Nikon's D90 have looked the most interesting. But if you can get compact camera volume in a four thirds micro package, it may be worth the wait.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.aspdslr

fyi - the good URL is Olympus / Panasonic announce Micro Four Thirds: Digital Photography Review

I'm sure that you guys are much more advanced photographers than I but it seems to me that the gentleman isn't exactly rushing into digital - if anything he's taken his time ... :)

I took like 1500+ shots on my last trip - I can't even imagine paying to have all those developed ... instead of reviewing them on my PC and perhaps printing up just a handful. I LOVE my compact setup - good stuff in a small package and the Inon 105 lens really gives me a whole world of options, without breaking my wallet.

Best of luck to you!

From one dinosaur to another ....

:depressed: Yes, the GLORY DAYS of negs are almost gone !!!

If you can get your hands on some AGFA RSX II rolls, you'll like them. I used to work with either 50 of 100 asa. Never tried them UW, but you can easily push the 100 asa +1f. I find this film better than Fuji Velvia.

And as subzero answered you. Fuji Velvia is also very good. But has green predominance ... good for foliage.

Can't find any E6 anywhere ???? Try AGFA OPTIMA PRESTIGE ,100 asa . Also can be pushed +1f, even +1 1/2f. You'll be amazed how fine the grain is :wink:

Hope this helps

:rofl3: and I forgot...

You can also try Fuji Provia 100F ...

Don't push this one ... Even better at -1/2f. Regular processed. ( Don't tell your lab tech you under exposed )

But I think this is the most expensive of them all !!! But worth every penny :wink:

I feel for you. I was forced to digital too.

I'm only a fair photographer so I can't answer your question. I used to use slide film and use the processing on the boat. I booked a trip with the same operation, Optiquatics, to go to the Galapagos islands in 2006 and they didn't offer the C-6 processing. Because I didn't want to wait until I got home to view my shots, I bought a Seaquest D500. It's a point & shoot and I was frustrated with the shutter speed. So I don't recomend it.

I've since upgraded to a Nikinos D80 and dipped into savings to buy the housing before another big trip this fall (Egypt & the Red Sea)

Again, sorry you got the bad news.

Sorry, everyone, for the brief absence. Hurricane Ike played havoc with the Midwest, so we were out of power, phone and internet service for a few days. I'm very lucky. I could be in Houston.

Based on a lot of input (not to mention the pressures of time) I finally decided to go with Fuji Pro 160C. It looks to have characteristics similar to Reala. Besides, it was available (my shipment arrived last Tuesday), so I'm ready to head out to Grand Cayman.

I'm sure all the negative films work well for many folks, but I've had no luck with them. So I did not consider the Provia, Velvia, etc.

I have a fair scanner (CanoScan FS4000) and I can get decent scans, but I really miss the scans my processor could deliver with his Noritsu $25,000+ rig.

I did do some local research, and there may be a lab across town that might do a good job. They're a pro lab (i.e., not consumer) and they're pretty expensive at $22 a roll to process and scan (no prints), but if they can do a decent job on my usual 12 rolls per trip, it would probably be worth it. I went on the cheap recently and got what I paid for: Junk.

As far as rushing vs. taking my time in my switch to digital, I'm probably agonizing a bit too much. (My wife would remind me that I research purchases like this longer than buying a car or a house. She's right. Go figure.) I'm still stuck between the D90 and the D300. The price pushes hard at the D90, and the ability to catch that shark pass in a 15 second clip is pretty tempting. But there are some technical advantages to the 300. Once I decide on that (or something else) the rest will fall fairly quickly into place.

In any event, this is one of the quests I kind of enjoy. I'm under no real time pressure to switch, and once I settle on the way to go, it'll be a blast getting it wet! (On the outside only, of course . . . )

Thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom