What exactly is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He was just saying it (fundi's class) is relatively expensive.

(Working vacation...not an actual vacation)

It does cost a few bucks, as all good things go. Expensive? For what one gets, it's well worth the cost.

It does cost a few bucks, as all good things go. Expensive? For what one gets, it's well worth the cost.

I totally agree with you on that and I hope that I'm not misreading anyone's point, as I've heard it said earlier for what you get, it is worth the money.

I do admit that I will be a little nervous when going through the class but I can offset that by practicing(diving:D). Would anyone know where I can go to get a book on how to configure my gear? Oh uhmm, I need pictures too, I'm kind of a block and tackle guy. So far as hovering I can do that pretty good now, I definitly need more practice, especially maintaining position. If I had a book that would explain that it would benefit me as well.
To me you folks are extremely knowledgeable in diving so I will appreciate all advice, so since there are no more further statements from me I await your comments :popcorn:..

Books and Calendars | Global Underwater Explorers

Dress for Success would be a good place to start, as would Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving.

In any case, your best bet is simply to hook up with some local DIR divers. There are lots in FL.

If there are any DIR dives on the panhandle send me a PM, I'd appreciate it. I'm shooting for the December class at extreme exposure. I talked with Doug on the phone yesterday and that just confirmed my decision.
Even my wife who as of right now is a non-diver asked me why it has taken me so long to make that decision.

From the GUE website:

Working to redefine the ties binding the average underwater enthusiast to underwater explorers, conservationists and scientific researchers GUE is committed to the overall goal of promoting the interests of the underwater world and of those who seek to engage it.

Emphasis added.

I'm shooting for the December class at extreme exposure. I talked with Doug on the phone yesterday and that just confirmed my decision.
Even my wife who as of right now is a non-diver asked me why it has taken me so long to make that decision.

Awesome! Shoot me a PM If there is anything you want to know about taking class with Doug :wink:

Sean

If there are any DIR dives on the panhandle send me a PM, I'd appreciate it. I'm shooting for the December class at extreme exposure. I talked with Doug on the phone yesterday and that just confirmed my decision.

I don't usually make it that far down in Florida (Usually Pensacola to Navarre), but if you ever want to go to ABWA and dive, I'll be your buddy before (after/during) class. I'm trimmed out "so-so", still working on hoovering and I practice as much as possible. I'm hoping to possibly taking Fundies sometime in the near future, I just need to get my head straight on exactly what I want/need to do.

Michael

I don't usually make it that far down in Florida (Usually Pensacola to Navarre), but if you ever want to go to ABWA and dive, I'll be your buddy before (after/during) class. I'm trimmed out "so-so", still working on hoovering and I practice as much as possible. I'm hoping to possibly taking Fundies sometime in the near future, I just need to get my head straight on exactly what I want/need to do.

Michael

I wouldn't mind heading up there, the website is pretty good. My nieghbor is here looking over my shoulder and wanted me to ask, if you are out of shape and you know for a fact that you will not be able to swin 400yards in under 14minutes what would be the second best certifying agency to go to for tech diving?

if you are out of shape and you know for a fact that you will not be able to swin 400yards in under 14minutes

Since this is the DIR forum . . . The answer is work on your fitness. 400 yards in 14 minutes really isn't very hard. I know, because I did it, and I'm a terrible swimmer and swim sidestroke. If you can't do it because you're too winded or tired, then you really need to think about what's going to happen to you if you're battling current to get back to the upline, or having to tow a compromised buddy to the boat. The stakes in tech diving are higher. I can say from personal experience that my fitness, which isn't bad, was nowhere near enough to deal effectively with the flow in Ginnie Springs. GUE doesn't emphasize fitness because it amuses them, but because it really is important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom