What exactly is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did a quick search for DIR courses in florida and found a dive shop called extreme exposure I read the standards that they had posted which echoed everything that GUE has set for standards, also there are some pretty good videos on youtube (of course everyone here knows that already). It seemed to me that the divers looked nice and relaxed, and their gear configuration seemed suitable for all types of diving. I plan on taking the course this year, after I finish with the DM course.
In my opinion this DIR is definitely a "higher standard of diving" for lack of a better phrase. However it is clearly beneficial in the long run. It makes me say "hey I want to dive like these folks and with them"

Just wait until you get in the water with one of those folks....it's even more beautiful and persuasive to see in person :D

Just wait until you get in the water with one of those folks....it's even more beautiful and persuasive to see in person :D

The true beauty can only be found on the internet though.

I just did a quick search for DIR courses in florida and found a dive shop called extreme exposure I read the standards that they had posted which echoed everything that GUE has set for standards, also there are some pretty good videos on youtube (of course everyone here knows that already). It seemed to me that the divers looked nice and relaxed, and their gear configuration seemed suitable for all types of diving. I plan on taking the course this year, after I finish with the DM course.
In my opinion this DIR is definitely a "higher standard of diving" for lack of a better phrase. However it is clearly beneficial in the long run. It makes me say "hey I want to dive like these folks and with them"

Me and 2 others just completed the GUE Fundamentals course at Extreme Exposure. The instructor is great and the course was challenging and everything I expected it to be. I do not look like the divers on youtube (yet), however I have been given the "tools" to get there. It is definitely humbling to see yourself on video. Now the rest is up to me!

Sean

I was one of the other 2 divers mentioned above. --- There was much less Kool-Aid in our class than you would be lead to believe if you simply read articles on the internet.

My view of the class is that I walked in with a certain level of proficiency (comparable to the folks I most often dive with) and some level of experience. I walked out with a greater appreciation of what a good diver can be – and an idea of how I can become one. (not that I was a bad diver, but you come to learn how much better you can be.)

It was the first class that I have participated in where there were truly precise measures of success. So there was no question or regret when I did not pass on Sunday. (Wow – who’s ever heard of not walking out of class without a card?) But I walk away knowing what I need to do to get there, and how to obtain it. --- And I will pass. And when I do, I know what kind of diver I will be. This class is a real eye opener, and since you are local here in FL I’d strongly recommend taking the class at EE. --- If you have specific questions about it, feel free to pm me. (I’m sure Sean would volunteer as well) But all in all, as you may have read other posts with the same thought, in the end it is well worth the costs.

I just did a quick search for DIR courses in florida ...

Being in FL you are pretty much in "DIR Central", there are lots of great options for you. Enjoy your class.

I just finished Fundies with James (my hubby) and Sean this past weekend. Personally, I did very little reading about DIR and Fundies before the class. I knew about the gear requirements, but that was pretty much it. Honestly, the only reason I took the class was because James wanted to and I did not want him coming home after the class telling me everything I was doing wrong. My plan was to take the class and adopt the practices that made diving more enjoyable for me.

Am I glad I took the class? Yes. I still have alot to work on, but I finally feel like I have a solid foundation to build my diving career on.

Here is a link to a thread I started in the Women's forum a few weeks before the class. I had gotten a lot of great advice in this thread and I think it really helped.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-related/295016-three-weeks-fundies.html

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom