What exactly is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you're due for a formal class writeup...

I like all the replies that I've been getting. So far I bought a BP/W (steel), a set of doubles w/ manifold and Halcyon wt. pockets. Now, I think about it I should have consulted with the forum before I bought anything.
I do have a question about brands. Does it really matter? the BP/W I have are Hollis, regulators are Apeks XTX100 and the doubles are AL 80s with the Dive Rite manifold.
:shocked2: wow it was expensive I mean like I could live what I spent. Yup, I know you get what you paid for. My LDS really, really likes me though:D.

Sean I'll be PM'ing you today.

I do have a question about brands. Does it really matter?

Nope, not even worth worrying about.

I like all the replies that I've been getting. So far I bought a BP/W (steel), a set of doubles w/ manifold and Halcyon wt. pockets. Now, I think about it I should have consulted with the forum before I bought anything.
I do have a question about brands. Does it really matter? the BP/W I have are Hollis, regulators are Apeks XTX100 and the doubles are AL 80s with the Dive Rite manifold.
:shocked2: wow it was expensive I mean like I could live what I spent. Yup, I know you get what you paid for. My LDS really, really likes me though:D.

Sean I'll be PM'ing you today.

Here we'll save you some money.

Ebay the Halcyon weight pockets!

Their loss.

Regardless of one's view of DIR in general, it's rather hard to complain about people not paying an instructor to jump on a plane and stay in a hotel room. Funding instructor's working vacations is beyond the capabilities of most people. Especially given the 4:1 ratios they look for. Particularly on top of a requirement to buy particular types of gear that most diver's don't own.

Regardless of one's view of DIR in general, it's rather hard to complain about people not paying an instructor to jump on a plane and stay in a hotel room. Funding instructor's working vacations is beyond the capabilities of most people. Especially given the 4:1 ratios they look for. Particularly on top of a requirement to buy particular types of gear that most diver's don't own.

LOL if you think a GUE or UTD class is a vacation for either student OR the out-of-town instructor you really have missed the boat. You get what you pay for in scuba instruction just like in tennis, golf, skiing and every other pursuit. At least crappy golf instruction doesn't lead to embolisms and drowning.

I can attest that any class being taught by a GUE instructor is in no way a vacation. They are working with you 12+ hours a day, and likely filling tanks for another 2-3.

If you don't live near an instructor, you can either fly an instructor in, and pay for their room, or fly four people the other way, and pay for that. If you want to take the class, you'll find the first way cheaper, especially if you offer a spare bedroom for the instructor.

As to the gear, if you're interested in taking a GUE class, you probably DO own the gear.

Tom

Thanks guys for missing the point and jumping on innocuous phrasing.

Vacation? The instructor is away from their family and other things going on in their life, and the GUE instructors I know, don't instruct full time. It's far from a vacation. Where do you come up with these ideas?

Vacation? The instructor is away from their family and other things going on in their life, and the GUE instructors I know, don't instruct full time. It's far from a vacation. Where do you come up with these ideas?

He was just saying it (fundi's class) is relatively expensive.

(Working vacation...not an actual vacation)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom