What exactly is a "cattle boat" in your definition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about Reef [-]Runners[/-] Divers, the operation at Little Cayman Beach Resort, that requires you to limit your dive to 50 minutes? As I have said elsewhere, a really well-run operation with good crew--but they have a schedule to keep

Funny, I was reading the thread and was thinking the exact opposite; Reef Divers, while having quite a few divers onboard (only 12 - 16 when I was there), manages to make sure everyone gets into and out of the water without rush and no attitudes.

As for the 50-60 minute limit, I never found it to be a problem, nor did the crew ever seem extremely rigid about it.

Henrik

If, at the end of the trip, I can't tell you the names of the people I was diving with, then there were too many people on the boat IMO.

But, dive what you like, there is nothing wrong with a big boat if it is ran well.

Welcome to Planet Moo ...

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

... ah, but there were some happy cows on that boat ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How appropriate, a bunch of identically equipped people who all dive the same way and have too much money to spend on scooters...on a CATTLE boat.

I'm kidding, don't set the ******* on me.

:wink:

On any boat that they have to do a head count on, that would be a cattle boat....

I strongly disagree. A head count should be mandatory on every boat, no matter how few divers there are. A roll call is even better. As a matter of course, I do a roll call when it is only me and my buddy diving from my boat. Always.

Complacency, which could include omitting the roll call, leads to accidents.

I do a roll call when it is only me and my buddy diving from my boat. Always.

Really! Don't you think that's a trifle ..... redundant? Overkill? Pointless?

Actually a head count, if that's all you do, can be positively dangerous. I remember one night dive in the Red Sea when the captain decided everyone was back on board and was casting off when we alerted him to the fact that we had two strange divers on board, people who'd mistaken our boat for their own. We still had two divers missing, and they weren't on another boat, they were enjoying a really long dive.

I was criticised by a diver once (heavily criticised, on Trip Advisor) because I didn't conduct a formal roll call after a dive. I didn't because I knew everyone on the boat personally by name, and I knew everyone (there were only eight) was on board. But because I wasn't standing there with a clipboard (specifically that) he denounced my operation as dangerous. There are some idiots out there, and running a dive operation you sure get to meet them!

As a matter of course, I do a roll call when it is only me and my buddy diving from my boat.

The image that pops into my mind is that scene from Meet the Fockers when he is the only guy at the departure gate, and they still won't let him board until his row is called.

"Bob? Check. Me? Check. Is there anyone whose name I haven't called? OK, just let me run through the list quickly.... one, two... OK, I think that's everyone."

I strongly disagree. A head count should be mandatory on every boat, no matter how few divers there are. A roll call is even better. As a matter of course, I do a roll call when it is only me and my buddy diving from my boat. Always.

Complacency, which could include omitting the roll call, leads to accidents.

Capt. Hook's in Marathon (who has a small boat) calls your name and asks for your returning pressure, I like that idea, it makes sure that everyone is on board by name.

Doing something everytime, no matter how inane is may seem will cause you to do it in all situations. Some call it being "anal" but it works!

How appropriate, a bunch of identically equipped people who all dive the same way and have too much money to spend on scooters...on a CATTLE boat.

I'm kidding, don't set the ******* on me.

:wink:

None of us really care what other people think ... or how others choose to dive. We had a blast! No drama, no politics, no headaches ... just a lot of friendly banter and great diving.

And all that "identical" equipment sure came in handy whenever anyone had an equipment issue ... spares were abundant, and everybody got in their dives.

It was udderly fantastic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom