What exactly is a "cattle boat" in your definition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the reason the 6 pac boat is around is affordability. Pretty much need the boat full to have it pay. With the larger boat you need up to 20 divers on board to make the haul pay. I must admit I lurk around for back massages when I get to shore. The bouncing off the wave crests at speed is jarring.
If you have a good dive op they will keep the max dive load to 6 for each dm and they will drop you off at different locales on the reef. Seems like thats what you have been getting. Oh I just got it, more likely to have more girls on the boat, you almost had us fooled.

The liveaboards I often dive from usually take 14 to 22 divers on a vessel that's usually 110' or more. That's not too many. On a day boat, the same 20 people might be crammed into a 42' vessel. If that boat is well run, it still might be okay, assuming the crew is professional and the divers are experienced. But I don't want to be on that boat. In order for things to go smoothly a bit of regimentation is required, so that takes some of the fun out of it for me. And, depending on the site, 20 divers hitting the water at the same time can really be too many. I like to take pictures without bubbles in the background. On liveaboards the divers are often able to stagger their entries or split into two groups on separate skiffs, so you feel like you are in a smaller group. It sounds like your boat has similar procedures, and that can make all the difference.

The last time I was on a cattle boat was out to the Blue Hole in Belize. We had a little weather--nothing dramatic--and divers were sliding across the deck (one kid maybe 16 years old was puking over the side while his mother patted his brow with a moist rag--what chance does he have to grow up to be a man?:shakehead:), the skipper was having a tantrum because his carefullly planned-out schedule was in a hash--in a word, it was a mess.

If you want to experience a true cattle boat, there are some enormous aluminum catamarans in Australia that run a 100 people or more out to some poor ribbon reef on the Great Barrier Reef. Quicksilver was one operator when I was there in the mid-90s. The coral must shudder as they approach. They drop 30 divers and twice as many snorkelers onto the reef. Then, to complete the Thunderball scene, a little submarine buzzes around to show the idyllic beauty to the passengers who can't swim or want to remain dry.

Last edited:
I'm going to say , cattle boat is a boat that has all available spaces filled.

DM's? .. out here, we dive our dive and they stay on the boat

I've seen it from both sides - I used to dive on them, now I work on them!

37 people yesterday - 8 divers (all experienced), 6 introductory dives, 1 bubblemaker, 4 open water students and the rest snorkellers. Had some nice dives, saw a lot of other divers from a lot of other boats!

That's a "cattle" boat - however you know what, we all had a great day. My intros couldn't stop grinning, the dives were still very beautiful, the snorkellers started dancing in the bow, the Open water students were all celebrating the completion of their course and my colleagues and I had a few beers in the pub after work swapping the stories and having a laugh. It doesn't have to be bad. If it's going to be called a cattle boat then we can try to make sure it's all free range and organically fed! Haha! Also, calling my customers cattle is rather insulting so I'll just refer to it as a "busy" boat! It's big and roomy though so no real congestion and plenty of space to lounge around in.

Okay - for a lot of experienced divers that sounds like a complete nightmare and you're probably right! Also, same as TSandM, I've been on liveaboards with 25 or more people on board - I used to organise them in Thailand - and the last one I did was with a group who had mostly just finished their DM course with me - all experienced, all great characters, great diving etc. etc. That in no way or shape could be referred to as a cattle-boat, it was one of the best weeks of my life!

If you want a real cattle boat - take a ride on one of the day boats out of Cairns, Australia; The silverswift series especially are ridiculous (vladimir - you know what I'm talking about!)

Happy ruminating,

C. :D

Well.. I dont ever dive alone and seeing as how my wife and 3 daughters dive with me, I will always have a group of at least 5 diving.

a cattle boat is one where the divers are packed in like cattle and are just about as skilled.

good one:d

Cattle boats. Even a six pack can be one. It's about the way the crew treats the divers, not about the divers. Do they herd you on and off the boat, limiting bottom times, or forcing you to follow around a DM in a group? Are they off to the same sites on the same schedules every day? Do they expect everyone to dive their al80's? have rules about wearing computers and minimum tank PSI? Do they hate doubles, refuse rebreather divers, insist there be no deco dives? Is it all about the numbers, and is their goal to get you in and out of the water as fast as they can so they can head back to the docks for the next group?

Cattle boats try to get tips from the divers with the same tired jokes during the briefing and cookies after lunch, not by catering to the specific needs of the divers. Cattle boats know that they will never see you again after your vacation, and they treat you like it. The crew is usually burned out, the fun of diving is long gone and they see the divers only as cash flow or a potential hassle.

It doesn't have to be bad. If it's going to be called a cattle boat then we can try to make sure it's all free range and organically fed! Haha!
This is hilarious Crowley. It sounds like you have a good time. Maybe I'll get off of my high horse, mend my attitude, and dive on your boat the next time I'm in the neighborhood. :D

It's the people not the boat that makes it a cattle boat.:wink:

Well, it's less the people "passengers" than the people "running the boat" that make it a cattle boat.

To me a cattle boat is one where they rush everyone into the water at once, with orders to be "back on the boat at X time" when they give you a bare minimum surface interval, and then repeat the process for dive two so they can get back to the dock for the afternoon herd.

It is the herding that makes it a cattle boat. If it is a necessity, or it is imposed even though not necessary, then you are on a cattle boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom