What ever happend to .. Heathkit, Polaroid, Packard-Bell, etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember looking at the Heathkit catalog over and over again trying to decide what kit to buy next. Antenna tuner and a antenna switch box were my first. Still sitting in my moms basement.
For you electronics guys, remember Siltronix and Yeasu?

I remember looking at the Heathkit catalog over and over again trying to decide what kit to buy next. Antenna tuner and a antenna switch box were my first. Still sitting in my moms basement.
For you electronics guys, remember Siltronix and Yeasu?

Remember Yeasu? Its still around and going strong. I own quite a few of their radios.

I grew up just down the road from the Heathkit plant in Benton Harbor, Michigan. I still have some gear including an old, but working SB-102. I still love that radio and have many fond memories of my dad using his. I have some other old heath stuff in the closet too.

As for Polaroid, I work for one of the companies they used to own. We were writing software on the cutting edge of digital camera technology (Logitec and Kodak would both send us prototype cameras to test). Polaroid wanted nothing to do with digital photography. Everyone there had made their millions selling that $10 a pack instant film and didn't see any reason to do anything different. After seeing their business practices from the inside, I was more than happy to be out from under their control and have actively refused to give any amount of money for anything carrying the Polaroid name. I guess it left kind of a bad taste.

I had a couple of Heathkit radios, a record player and a oscilloscope. Several Christmases were spent pouring over the assembly manual. My parents made me wait until after Christmas to begin building my project.

Heathkit made great stuff.

I've had a HW-16, a DX-60, and the matching receiver for the DX-60 that I can't remember, and the SB-101. plus various accessories for the above, such as the VFO, meters, speakers, etc.

I think you can still buy a few Heath products. (not kits though). I've in recent years bought Heath motion floodlights at Home Depot.

Here's a similar list: The 50 Worst Gadgets of the Decade

I have to confess I've owned several of them...lol

So who can name the 2nd largest computer manufacturer in the world for several decades that's now completely out of business? At one time second only to IBM.

hint: it's in the article.

Last edited:
Here's a similar list: The 50 Worst Gadgets of the Decade

I have to confess I've owned several of them...lol

So who can name the 2nd largest computer manufacturer in the world for several decades that's now completely out of business? At one time second only to IBM.

hint: it's in the article.

I believe that was Compaq but to say they are out of business is not quite correct, they merged with HP and the name just departed from the business.

I believe that was Compaq but to say they are out of business is not quite correct, they merged with HP and the name just departed from the business.
You're close - product is still sold under the Compaq name.

Go back a few more years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom