What equipment is essential to buy/own versus rent, in your opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to buy my own equipment, but I often fly on airlines that only allow a small weight, max 40 pounds.
My question is what equipment do you consider essential to own and not rent at the dive shops?
Also if you could suggest brands you like I would much appreciate. I have done so much research but need advice.
Do you recommend a combination dive computer/transmitter combo? Will long-term storage between yearly dives be a problem?
We are a diving family (all older now) but only get to dive on one long vacation every summer, just for some background.
I appreciate the help.

My order of importance between owning and renting

1. Signaling / safety equipment
  2. Mask /snorkel
  3. Fins
  4. Computer
  5. Dive Light
  6. Wet suit
  7. Regulator
  8. BC
  9. Weights
  10. Tank

What type of diving are you doing and where? Warm water only? What time of year? How deep? Beach dives, charter dives or both?

My order of priority would be something like

* Signaling/safety
1. Mask
2. BCD
3. Regs
4. Computer
5. Fins
6. Suit
7. Tank
8. Weights

The reason why I put them in that order?
The mask HAVE to fit for diving to be fun.
The BCD youll enjoy more and know how to trim better if you have some dives in it and youll know it FITS.
The regs I just feel more condifent knowing how they have been handled and maintained.

What I actually BRING when going on dive vacations is mask, fins, BCD, regs, computer, wet-boots (I have to as my fins wont be usable without).
This and a minimal ammount of clothing in a hard-shell suitcase comes to just shy of the 20kg weight limit of most airlines.
I could possibly get a thin wetsuit in there and keep weight, but only just. However I dont own a wetsuit at all because the local conditions would make my wetsuit season ~8 weeks..

I am very much appreciating the replies. We do warm water dives, but can go to 80+/- feet. Mostly boat dives but some shore. I usually wear light rash guard and swim shorts. I am never cold. I would love to bring my own BCD but I am concerned that a BCD will be too heavy, as I still need SOME clothes! Again, I appreciate any suggestions of brands you may love as the research is overwhelming with so many reviews. Thank you all for the help.

If you're doing almost all of your diving at travel destinations a BC is on the bottom of the list of something you need to own. Dive with quality dive operators and that usually goes hand in hand with them having high quality gear. If you're a good diver you can dive with a duct taped balloon for a BC. Weighted properly the only thing the thing is useful for is holding your tank and helping you bob around on the surface.

so funny! Duct tape isn't that heavy either!
So here is what I am thinking:
mask (please may I have suggestions on brands or models?)
wrist computer
booties and fins? Fins are so heavy though and the airline I am taking between the A-B-C islands is flown by 2 geese and a sparrow- only 40 lb limit!
2-piece "shorty" (good point about the "pee")
signal equipment (what do you'all suggest? an inflatable item?)
regs are so heavy but would love my own. Are they universal or is it possible to buy ones that don't fit everywhere?
Are reg. mouth pieces interchangeable? That's the only part i really want to take.

There's more germs in the airplanes air during your flight then you'll face in any rental equipment.

Back
Top Bottom