What equipment do you have to own as an Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to consider is not so much the equipment but the overall plan, which I gather is to show up somewhere and get a job as a DM or an instructor.

If that is the plan, you might find that a bit problematic. I don't think there are many places that are in need of DMs/instructors to the point that they will generally hire someone on that basis.

I agree with you entirely on this, as it stands the plan is to dive in Guatemala, Nicaragua and then Honduras, getting lots of experience, taking the DM and instructors course and getting to know lots of new people, dive shops etc - going to spend at least 6 months doing this and hope to have enough money saved so that I have time to get as much experience as I need while looking for a job.

The planning is a work in progress as not leaving until the end of April 2011.

Cheers

Other than the DM/Instructor and getting my Spanish up to a fluent level are there any other skills that you think are worth learning to add to an instructors CV?

I agree with you entirely on this, as it stands the plan is to dive in Guatemala, Nicaragua and then Honduras, getting lots of experience, taking the DM and instructors course and getting to know lots of new people, dive shops etc - going to spend at least 6 months doing this and hope to have enough money saved so that I have time to get as much experience as I need while looking for a job.

The planning is a work in progress as not leaving until the end of April 2011.

Cheers

Other than the DM/Instructor and getting my Spanish up to a fluent level are there any other skills that you think are worth learning to add to an instructors CV?

In this case, you are looking for training also. You will typically be charged a rental fee for using school gear for DM or Instructor courses, as you are expected to own your own gear by the professional level.
In a large duffel type bag, I can fit my bc, reg, fins, booties, masks, snorkel, smb, reel, scissors, camera and housing, save a dive kit, wet notes, slate, whistle, small main and backup light(leave out the batteries), and extra clips. I then can pack clothes- bathing suit, shirts, shorts, pants, jacket, sweatshirt, and undies. My carryon carries my computer with all my presentations and manuals electronically. And makeup goes in there too......

If you plan to stay somewhere a while and train, what's the problem with taking your own gear? I do on all of our travels. It is not that big a deal.

Or you can go forth, hoping the places you land are willing to front you gear for course you need to take. They very likely will charge you for the use of theirs, as you are a customer and not an employee. If you do have your own gear, I would take it.

In this case, you are looking for training also. You will typically be charged a rental fee for using school gear for DM or Instructor courses, as you are expected to own your own gear by the professional level.
In a large duffel type bag, I can fit my bc, reg, fins, booties, masks, snorkel, smb, reel, scissors, camera and housing, save a dive kit, wet notes, slate, whistle, small main and backup light(leave out the batteries), and extra clips. I then can pack clothes- bathing suit, shirts, shorts, pants, jacket, sweatshirt, and undies. My carryon carries my computer with all my presentations and manuals electronically. And makeup goes in there too......

If you plan to stay somewhere a while and train, what's the problem with taking your own gear? I do on all of our travels. It is not that big a deal.

Or you can go forth, hoping the places you land are willing to front you gear for course you need to take. They very likely will charge you for the use of theirs, as you are a customer and not an employee. If you do have your own gear, I would take it.

Hi, the easiest way I've found to travel around is really just with a rucksack and day pack. Getting on and off of local buses is only really practical with the minimum about of carry on.

I understand what you are saying and when it's an holiday and you're going to a hotel and diving and then coming home, taking lots of kit is great.

Hostels, travelling from country to country, it wouldn't be practical.

All the courses I've researched for DM and Instructor include equipment use in the costs.

If I were to stay anywhere for while I might get some extra kit then try and sell it before I leave.

But at the minute I'm thinking, mask and dive computer, then when I qualify getting as much of the materials on my laptop as I can.

Thanks for all the excellent replies BTW :)

Hi, the easiest way I've found to travel around is really just with a rucksack and day pack. Getting on and off of local buses is only really practical with the minimum about of carry on.

I understand what you are saying and when it's an holiday and you're going to a hotel and diving and then coming home, taking lots of kit is great.

Hostels, travelling from country to country, it wouldn't be practical.

All the courses I've researched for DM and Instructor include equipment use in the costs.

If I were to stay anywhere for while I might get some extra kit then try and sell it before I leave.

But at the minute I'm thinking, mask and dive computer, then when I qualify getting as much of the materials on my laptop as I can.

Thanks for all the excellent replies BTW :)
I would take my fins too.....
And when they say that equipment is included in the cost, then you are paying extra embedded in there. Trust me. Nothing comes for free.
In any case, I can't leave my gear at home. Just can't. I maintain it, care for it, and know how to repair it. I just don't like using other people's crap. I am at the point in life where I can afford to be spoiled. Good luck man.

I would take my fins too.....
And when they say that equipment is included in the cost, then you are paying extra embedded in there. Trust me. Nothing comes for free.
In any case, I can't leave my gear at home. Just can't. I maintain it, care for it, and know how to repair it. I just don't like using other people's crap. I am at the point in life where I can afford to be spoiled. Good luck man.

I might take my fins too, I could strap them to the back of my pack. Especially given that diving in Costa Rica recently the DM trainee there was using the 'shops' battered fins and was walking with a limp because they had torn his heals to bits!

I know what you mean about the nothing coming for free thing - it has been really challenging to get a like for like price on courses. Some include the Padi fees in the quote some not, some accommodation, some 'a full set of equipment' etc.

Pretty much have a plan, I know where I want to dive in Guatemala, then want to go to the Corn Islands in Nicaragua before one of the Bay Islands - erring towards Roatan, mostly because I'm 35 not 20 and Utila, I get the impression from the interweb, is more for younger, more party esk folks (perhaps).

Nothing set in stone yet, still saving, and how much money I have will make a lot of the choices for me I think.

If your goal is to travel the islands and be an "on-the-go" instructor you do need some gear.

Absolute minimum gear you need as a journeyman instructor:

1. A kick ass resume - that has at least a dozen real specialties, some published articles, testimonials, and be brilliant at what you do. No less than 500 dives in a variety of environments of non-training dives.

2. Top end personal gear. And i mean the absolute best of the following: Mask, dive computer, well fitted wet suit, nice fins, good snorkel, compass, small slate set, Top end lightweight regulator, and I would consider a lightweight top end BCD (look at Zuma), high powered light weight hand torch for night dives. (all above weighs about 40 lbs)

3. Great Attitude and good grooming. Look Like a Pro, Act Like a Pro, be treated as a Pro.

Since you will be moving from place to place you want to be unobtrusive with your gear. It needs to be part of you and not stand out on you. It should be fluid, and you should be entirely comfortable with it.

Good luck......... send post cards from the edge!

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom