What else to do in Morehead city besides diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeM_scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi. We are traveling to Morehead city in August. I am only diver in my family. What else can you do there? Beaches, boarswalk? How are the beaches around there? Any good fishing apots? Thanks

Check out my trip report from Aug. 2015; my wife & mother-in-law took our little girl to nearby Atlantic City Beach. The North Carolina Aquarium has more than one location; the one near Pine Knoll Shores isn't real far (I visited the farther away Ft. Fisher location).

Wander farther afield than the immediate area, and there's Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, the Battleship North Carolina in Wilmington (which also has the Cape Fear Serpentarium) and more.

While it didn't strike me as having an 'amusement park vibe,' there were plenty of things to do if one was inclined to seek them out and do some driving.

Richard.

lots of all of the above. there is a very cool park on Emerald Isle/ Atlantic beach called Fort Macon. i believe that is free. Old war time setup there. cannons and whatnot. there is also an aquarium in the same area. i believe thats called north carolina aquarium at pine knoll. also very cheap. Atlantic beach is cheap and a very nice beach for the area. about all that you can get any better would be in Wilmington they have free parking there too!!. Also very unknown except for locals "i Was stationed there for 4 years and found out about it maybe two months before i left." there is a free water park on the Neuss river. Jungle gym type thing built out on piers. it has zip lines and all sorts of fun stuff. I don't think there is a name for it nor do they advertise. They ask for donations for upkeep and that is it. i can tell you where it is in James city from my recollection but you might have to drive a couple different side streets to find it. that would be about 30-35 min from Morehead city itself. Def worth the look. Those are some starters for you i am not sure the ages of your family or what they are interested in. If you have any other questions let me know. I am decently familiar with the area.

There is good fishing everywhere BTW. Neuss river is great with the brackish water. You can be fishing for cat fish one min and salt water fishing the next. lots of good public access to it all. There are a couple piers on Emerald isle that are good to fish off of. I never really go into that type of height/pier fishing though. i did more from my boat on the river or from shore. The coastal area is full of different creeks, rivers, and inlets. the options are way too many to list. pretty much everywhere has public access so if you are bringing your own gear just drive around for a minute or two. and look for people fishing. if they aren't biting there drive a couple minutes down the road.

My wife and I were there recently and did the 'sand dollar Island trip' next to Olympus. Was actually a nice way to spend an afternoon. Wear a bathing suit.

Altlantic beach is decent and there are some retauarants and brew pubs to explore.

Thank you, guys. Will definitely re-read it when we are there.

There is also the Maritime museum in Beaufort (just across the bridge from Morehead City). It's a small, eclectic museum that has a little bit of everything from biology to history.

Gallery : NC Maritime Museum : BEAUFORT

Floyd's 1921 and the Ruddy Duck are two of my favorite places to eat.

Also about 15 minutes away from MHC, the town of Beaufort (pronounced Bow -as in tie a bow -fort, not Byou-fort like the SC Beaufort) is very quaint - I always had to have at least one meal on one of the restaurants on the Intracoastal Waterway.

In MHC, Atlantic Beach and/or Beaufort, you can find jet skis or boats to rent, as well. There used to be a “jungle island” putt-putt type of golf thing at Atlantic Beach as well as a water slide. If you take a boat trip along the Intracoastal Waterway near Beaufort, sometimes you can catch a glance at the wild horses on the island.

Back
Top Bottom