What dry suit do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the comments about ebay and used drysuits. There are some deals out there. My latest DUI suit was a signature series, which I paid over $1K for. I have since gotten two more suits used, for less than that. I got a front entry Andy's extreme, which is nice, however, the boots are a little big, and I got a neoprene Atlan, which I am still undecided whether I like it or not. If you are willing to take a little risk on a used suit, check out ebay. You may have to look for a little while, but something will pop up. The Viking Extreme from Bob3 is a deal, I have to say. The suit is nice, not as durable as others, but should last a long time.

I dove wet my first few years then went to dry. Once you go dry you will never go back and will wonder why you bothered to go wet in the first place. My first dive in a drysuit was just an eye opener....I was diving with a few instructor buddies here in Massachusetts and they each used and suggested the O'Neill neoprene drysuit. I researched the other types, brands, and prices. I decided to go with the O'Neill. I bought mine for $750 brand new and paid $125 for DUI thermals. I love the suit. I am impressed with the thermal qualities and to date my zipper and valves have been great. I have used this suit for 5 years. One of my buddies who owns a Mobby's tri-lam borrowed my suit for a dive. When we got to the surface his first words were "your suit is warmer than mine". His Mobby's cost him $1600 plus thermals.

There are advantages and disadvantages with each type of suit. Neoprene suits require more weight but less thermals. If you have a critical failure in a neoprene suit you will have more thermal protection from the neoprene over a tri-lam. Tri-lam's require less weight but more thermals. Tri-lams are often twice the cost of neoprene. Tri-lams offer more mobility than neoprene. I have not found my suit restrictve at all, especially since I went from a neoprene wetsuit to a neoprene drysuit. Neoprene stretches more than tri-lams so they tend to require less frequent zipper and seam repairs. I'm sure there are other advantages and disadvantages but those are a few off the top of my head.

I would highly recommend the neoprene drysuit option. In my opion tri-lams are not worth the cost relative to neoprene.

--Matt

Every suit has it's advantages and disadvantages. I first dived a volcanized suit by viking it was used. I had the experience of it getting torn on a shipwreck, things got real cold then. The suit was repaired at a Canadian Tire Store, using tire repair techniques by vulcanizing, HEY it worked. The secong suit was a neoprene Whites 8mm. I got that suit in sept 1991 and only retired it last year it was a great suit. I had the seals changed and that was it. Finally the seams just could not keep up and I had to move on. I now dive a Otter made in England sold by Zeagle in North America, a trilaminate, very tough suit, very comfortable. A good quality suit with good maintenance and good diving skills can make a suit last a long time.

GDI,
I also have an Otter and I like it. What I'd say though is; don't have pockets on the front and ,if you can, get the drysuit inflater valve moved to the centre. On mine it's right off centre and it's a real nuisance when practicing removal of the inflater. Plus on mine the pockets use zips and velcro would be much better. Do you have the 200g undersuit as well?
Another thing to watch out for is the hood in general - when I got my Otter the hood was slightly too big and when doing OOA and mask removal drills I found I was fighting the hood (pun intended).

Mine is the expedition gs with no pockets. I was going to have Zeagle put them on (on the sides) but didn't want to wait for the time frame it would have taken. I have the suspenders which are great for in between dives times. No hood attached If I need on I still have the one from my whites. I already have close to about 300 dives on the Otter all in caves.

Zeagle Expedition GS

Tough shell. Great for wrecks and caves. Dry. I dig it. Retails for $1700. I bought on eBay off a diveshop that was shutting down for $525. It was a weird size for most divers and mismarketed on ebay. Shhh.. Don't tell anyone. Everyone thinks I sold my car for it.

I'm wearing it in my profile pic.

newbasuba:
Ive been reading alot of the posts on this board and all most all of you who dive cold water dive in a dry suit? My plan was to keep diving this winter wet and buy a dry suit next fall. I only have about $800 put away now, so i thought it would be better to wait untill i had more $$ to get a good suit. Id like to know what dry suit you use, what you like and dont like about it and the ball park range it cost. Is it possible to get a good suit for around $1500.
Most of the dive shops i looked at push suits $2000 plus. And last thing if you where to replace your suit would you buy online or at a dive shop?

A years ago I bought the most expensive trilam drysuit BARE made. It could use a little bit of alteration, but nothing that can't wait until I have to take it in for other work.

I got the lighter weight underwear and would go for the heaviest if I had it to do over.

I'd buy at a dive shop. The extra cost won't seem like much if there is a problem with the suit. Mine was about $2000 including the underwear.

As a side note, it took me a couple of years to assemble the guts to cut the seals as far back as they should be.

Rick Inman:
"I'm not cheep, just broke."
I've bought 2 used dry suits. A neoprene DUI and an OS System shell. Total cost for both 600.00, including the undies. The DUI zipper is on the way out, so I use it for a backup now. Both fit well, which is the key. New is better than used and used is better than wet.

I looked at the dui and the os system i realy like the os system shell the suit with under garments was over $2000. I also looked at the andys viking and whites. I havent heard to much about the os system shell suits so i didnt realy consider buying it. Out of all the suit i tried on the os fit the best. When you bought your suit did you go by what every one else said or by what fit you the best.

I am up to my third suit. The first one was(or is) a tri lam shell suit bought second hand. A little big (you could fit your buddy inside). It is a Diamond brand, the best made shell I have seen so far. I still have it for back up to my back up.
Then I got a Poseiden Uni suit. Also used, but hardly. It fit much better, it is warm but bouyant. After three years or was it four i forgot, my buddy noticed a small stream of bubbles out of the back of the neck. Instead of replacing the zipper (or waiting for it to get worse) I picked up my first new suit.
Got DUI CF200 shoulder entry. Couple of hundred dollars less than the "self donning" and just as good. Besides you always have someone around to help u. While it cost more than the two used suits combined, it was still less than $1500. (including some underware). Better mobility than the Poseiden, but not quite as warm.

Back
Top Bottom