What dry suit do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a lot of good drysuits out there for $1,500 or less.

I've got a Diving Concepts suit that cost around $1,600 ... and that was for a custom suit. It's a trilaminate, front-entry suit. I've got about 670 dives on it, and have replaced just about everything but the panels ... but for the money it provided good service. One thing to know about front-entry is that although they're convenient, the zipper is expensive to replace and more prone to stress damage than is typically the case with rear-entry (due to the way you stress it when you get into and out of the suit). I've replaced my zipper about every 250-300 dives.

Materials also have tradeoffs. Generally speaking, neoprene will keep you warmest, cordura is the most bulletproof, trilaminate is easiest to care for, and vulcanized rubber is easiest to repair. They all have pros and cons ... and what's important to you is what counts (there is no such thing as a single "best" suit).

There are some good suits out there for the money. Bare Nex-Gen is a good, serviceable neoprene suit. Several companies make good mid-priced trilaminates ... Diving Concepts, Andy's, Northern Diver, OS Systems, and Mobby's all have good suits in the $800 to $1,500 range ... and I know people who happily dive all of them.

Shop around ... and do some research. There's a ton of good info in this board on drysuits. I'd recommend you put aside a few hours to go read through some of the past entries in the Exposure Suit forum before making any decisions.

Whatever you end up buying, make sure it fits properly ... that's more important than anything else ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
There are some good suits out there for the money. Bare Nex-Gen is a good, serviceable neoprene suit.

The Nex-Gen fabric is not neoprene.

I've had a Viking for years. It's been a great suit and I think it would stop an anti-tank round, but the fit was never quite right, so I now own a Bare XCD2 that's so new it hasn't even been in the water yet. (Wife has already put dibs on the Viking.) I've tried a few trilams but I found I prefer the compressed neoprene for the extra 'give'.

Heard a lot of good things about the DUI, but they do come with a hefty price tag. You'll have to decide if you think they are that much better.

I agree with the above that a good suit will be with you for years, so shop around and try a few out if you can before you put down that much $$. Also keep an eye out for sales if you are going with your local LDS. I know mine has an annual Dutch Auction, so I got my suit brand-new, custom fit, at almost half price because I was willing to wait.

You might want to give some thought to the type of diving you are planning on doing in the future. It could have some bearing on the type of suit you want to go with.

jonnythan:
The Nex-Gen fabric is not neoprene.

Oops, you're right ... that would be the Tech, which is a much more expensive suit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Oops, you're right ... that would be the Tech, which is a much more expensive suit.

More expensive, but a much nicer suit. Can't wait to get mine in the water.

"I'm not cheep, just broke."
I've bought 2 used dry suits. A neoprene DUI and an OS System shell. Total cost for both 600.00, including the undies. The DUI zipper is on the way out, so I use it for a backup now. Both fit well, which is the key. New is better than used and used is better than wet.

I have about thirteen hundred dollars into my drysuit and thermals. I have an Andy's DS-1 with the basic fabric.

It has about 100 dives on it and I bought after my first season of diving as I had a wetsuit then. Being a smaller guy, I found myself getting cold easily.

Anyways, it doesn't let water in and keeps me cozy. With proper maintenance, I could see it lasting me many years.

...here on the Scubaboard, for less money than you have saved NOW. It is an excellent suit that fits very well and has never let me get wet. I used to leak some water around the arm seals, but now that I have the attached gloves, I stay very dry. My undies are Softwear 300 wt onepiece suit with matching booties, also very affordable.

Check with Bob3 for prices on the Viking suits and what he has available in your size.

I bought a new Diamond self entry trilaminate dry suit about 6 years ago for $900 including thinsulate underwear. These are heavier than the TLS 350 with a thread count of around 450. The zipper is also the most heavy duty zipper I have seen on a dry suit. The suit has superb sitec valves and has held up exceptionally well. It is in my experience superior to a DUI trilaminate where frankly you are paying about $1000 for the name.

I also purchased a lightly used Scubapro Cape horn self entry trilaminate on E-bay for $275. With the exception of a cuff mounted exhaust valve that I have decided I do not like, it is an excellent suit.

My spouse purchased a new rear entry trilaminate on E-bay for $400 but found it was mis-marked in terms of size when it arrived. But she then traded the suit at the LDS for a slightly used 7mm neoprene Atlan rear entry dry suit and $250 cash so her final cost for the suit was only $150. The Atlan is also a very well made suit. She has put about 300 dives on her Atlan and it is still going strong.

You should be able to get a really good suit for $900, let alone $1500. How much you ultimately spend depends a lot on how much you want to pay for snob appeal.

Whites.
Tri- lam self donning "Catalist" currently for sale.
6 mm neoprean for class teaching
Bi-lam for commercial work under ice.

Yep,they cost lots but well worth it. I did pick the Bi-lam up of of Ebay though for $200 3 years ago. My other Bi-lam had over 12 years of use and several hundred dives.I was the third owner and knew the other owners.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom