What does your choice of scuba gear say about you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone knows whatever happened with him? He just disappeared.
RJP = Ray Purkis
1666870121878.png

Not to go too far off topic, but do we know that's the right person? (I don't know who RJP is).

When I went to college, there was another student with the same first-and-last name, which resulted in a few mix-ups.

"What does your choice of scuba gear say about you?"

It may also be an issue of when you first began diving.

When I started, there were far fewer options than today -- which seem to me, nowadays, more often aimed at "gear-heads" than most others, those who will constantly seek to replace perfectly good gear, either based upon some current fashion (there's plenty of turret and hose-routing spiel recently); some odd class "requirement," such as something from GUE; and / or just good, ole peer pressure.

In the past, most wetsuits were typically basic black and the regulator choices comparatively few. Frankly, most everyone looked alike and I don't really recall any pissing contests when it came to gear. No one ever looked all that hot dressed up as a young sea lion; or, occasionally, a manatee, for Halloween.

I have always preferred a minimal amount of gear and no extraneous crap. What does that really say about me, other than I don't wish to carry too much heavy scheiß? Who does?

Just hit the water.

Fast-forward to The Age of "Selfie Sticks" (I couldn't believe the first time I saw that term in print), where the world now ends at the tip of so many people's noses, and it often seems more an issue of posing and sports fashion than actual diving -- either comparing wrist computers and arguing Haldane versus Bühlmann, RGBM, and VPM algorithms; sporting some ersatz military look (imagine a Navy Seal who cannot stand on his own, due to the sheer weight of his/her excess gear); that, or the more recent disruptive pattern / camouflage spearfishing look; the endless yammering about the benefits of Yamamoto neoprene (who ever talked about rubber before?); and that broader retro move back to "raw" neoprene suits and, uh, lubricants.

I am so saddened by my no-name neoprene . . .

A friend of mine used to be the lead climbing ranger on Mt. Rainier (where many people train who are planning attempt Everest). People typically stay part of the night at Camp Muir before attempting to summit. The climbing rangers give the folks in brand new North Face gear more attention than the others.

I think DMs in tropical destinations are probably pretty good at sussing out folks as they set up their gear.

Not to go too far off topic, but do we know that's the right person? (I don't know who RJP is).
It is always good to be skeptical. But, from ScubaBoard:
1666906792806.png

um.... yep....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom