What does your choice of scuba gear say about you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree with the outcome of the survey. It's human nature to judge others and accept our own choices as good. Our first impression of others is visual. If you see a guy walking down the street in tattered clothing and unshaven, do you even think there is a possibility that he is anything other then homeless? It's called profiling.

It's not until you have interaction with them that you can say "this guy is a crappy diver that buys gear to look the part" or "this guy is an awesome diver that is comfortable in his 20 year old gear."

And as far as I'm concerned, the only thing that my gear says about me is that I'm a diver.

It's human nature to judge others and accept our own choices as good. Our first impression of others is visual. If you see a guy walking down the street in tattered clothing and unshaven, do you even think there is a possibility that he is anything other then homeless? It's called profiling.

And it's often informative, if politically incorrect. If your teenage daughter brings home a new boyfriend, and he's tattoo'd & pierced up the wahzoo with a burgundy mohawk, some people would harshly criticize you for 'judging' the guy negatively on the basis of his appearance.

But ignoring the fact he chose that appearance, despite knowing the image it projects & associations it brings. Unlike being black or Middle Eastern, male, very large, or a number of other qualities that are inherent & unmodifiable.

Seems to me profiling has gotten a bad name, but it'd be idiotic not to do it some in real life. A big question is whether one is open-minded enough to be willing to expand on the initial impression as more info. becomes available.

Like when the guy in cruddy looking gear dives like a fish. Might be a decent dive buddy...on the boat the next day.

Richard.

And it's often informative, if politically incorrect. If your teenage daughter brings home a new boyfriend, and he's tattoo'd & pierced up the wahzoo with a burgundy mohawk, some people would harshly criticize you for 'judging' the guy negatively on the basis of his appearance.

But ignoring the fact he chose that appearance, despite knowing the image it projects & associations it brings. Unlike being black or Middle Eastern, male, very large, or a number of other qualities that are inherent & unmodifiable.

Seems to me profiling has gotten a bad name, but it'd be idiotic not to do it some in real life. A big question is whether one is open-minded enough to be willing to expand on the initial impression as more info. becomes available.

Like when the guy in cruddy looking gear dives like a fish. Might be a decent dive buddy...on the boat the next day.

Richard.

I agree. But profiling in and of itself is generic. Saying that blondes are dumb is profiling. That kid may have made those choices, but my perception of him is based on my own beliefs. If that daughter's father had a bunch of tattoos, he might feel different.

I'll dive with anybody once. If they are horrible, I might give them some suggestions and see if they take them. If not, I won't dive with them again.

Richard.
Hang on. Did he flinch as he was forced to walk by you sprawled on the front porch fondling your favourite self defense weapon of choice as you chambered a fresh round?

No flinch - he's a keeper! As long as he helps the wife wash the dishes.

Its the nature of the beast. Humans enjoy judging based on appearances. I have a bad case of not caring about other divers around me, thus i will not even give you or your kit a second glance. The times that I had to "judge" was more based on gear configuration and not brands/hype. Thoughtful configuration and placement of tools generally give me a more accurate view of the diver behind the gear.

My judgement of others is sound...
...others' judgement of me is not.

This question (OP) can be asked of almost anything and get the same or similar response. Self vs external view.

Interesting thread none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:)

I've never forgotten the time way back when I was on a group trip and our group leader (also the dive shop owner) said to me laughingly: "chilly, none of your gear matches!" And I replied, "I came to dive, not to be in a fadhion show."

Since then, I've replaced all of my gear except my regs (same set for 20 years). Still, nothing matches.

And all that said, not convinced any of it has to do with RJP's premise.

How'm I doin' so far?

Maybe this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom