What does "Tech" mean to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And then there is your average technical diver with not enough training, doing dives they shouldn't be doing... :wink:

While i have never had any formal tech diver training, I do quite a few "Tech" dives.....However I think alot of it relates to how much experiance you have doing the dives, and how much know how you have about the dive you are going to do.....Mind you i dont do penetration dives at 250fsw, but I dont think you need to be a genius to teach yourself how to dive to 250fsw either. Dont get me wrong I think that training is a great idea, and should be utilized if available, but at the same time an average diver can learn the "Average Tech Diver Skills" with little more than a book and some good dedicated practice.

I'm probably gonna catch falk over this post, but its just the way i feel.

While i have never had any formal tech diver training, I do quite a few "Tech" dives.....However I think alot of it relates to how much experiance you have doing the dives, and how much know how you have about the dive you are going to do.....Mind you i dont do penetration dives at 250fsw, but I dont think you need to be a genius to teach yourself how to dive to 250fsw either. Dont get me wrong I think that training is a great idea, and should be utilized if available, but at the same time an average diver can learn the "Average Tech Diver Skills" with little more than a book and some good dedicated practice.

I'm probably gonna catch falk over this post, but its just the way i feel.

At least that solves the issue of training with agencies that have low standards.

Like have you read the old TDI deco procedures book?

I think the only thing going for it that the words were spelled correctly.

At least that solves the issue of training with agencies that have low standards.

Like have you read the old TDI deco procedures book?

I think the only thing going for it that the words were spelled correctly.

I personnally use the US navy tables and procedures.....I figure they have been doing this for how long? I'm a sailor and i know how dumb sailors can be, If WE can understand it, anyone can.

To me "Tech" means any form of diving from Nitrox and up, as well as Deep Air diving, Deco diving, Altitude diving, any form of Overhead enviroment albeit Cavern, Cave, Wreck or what ever, any form of Rebreather diving SCR, and CCR, as well as any form of diving that utalizes Technology for planning, or doing the dive, such as V Planner, Computer diving, use of HID, DPV, Doubles, I also view "Tech" as a type of diving based on revised methods

Originally Posted by boulderjohn
I think my point is that our language has many terms that are categorical in nature, and it helps us in the way we organize our thinking.

True, but "technical" diving doesn't fit with that concept.

Why not?

To me "Tech" means any form of diving from Nitrox and up, as well as Deep Air diving, Deco diving, Altitude diving, any form of Overhead enviroment albeit Cavern, Cave, Wreck or what ever, any form of Rebreather diving SCR, and CCR, as well as any form of diving that utalizes Technology for planning, or doing the dive, such as V Planner, Computer diving, use of HID, DPV, Doubles, I also view "Tech" as a type of diving based on revised methods

I suppose that your answer reflects the state of recreational diving today. Years ago altitude diving for some people was just part of their basic scuba class. When I was 12 and did my OW test, I did them on doubles (55's), as a 71.2 was too long for me. Wrecks, night, boats, navigation and drift dives was just diving. We used a metal plate with nylon strapping to which the tank was mounted. Hogarthian? Yes, minimalist was just common place. Today it's considered more advanced? :shakehead:

It would seem that today people feel they need a specialty course to do any of these things. In-fact many of today's newly certified divers can't dive without someone holding their hand and planning their dive. I guess I'm just surprised to hear that I was technical diving at 12 years of age.

Sorry, I'm off my soap-box now. Returning to normal programming which is in-progress... :)

I'm surprised someone hasn't gone wild over that one.

Probably because not many people read it. Trace's posts tend be be long and a lot of us just skip reading them. :wink:

Probably because not many people read it. Trace's posts tend be be long and a lot of us just skip reading them. :wink:

Yeah, I should just post many more single sentence wise-@$$ comments.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom