What does "Tech" mean to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackwood:
It fits no worse than "recreational" diving, "commercial" diving, "professional" diving, "military" diving, etc..

I believe you are mistaken. The term commercial diving refers to a job. Military diving trefers to diving with a military objective or training for a military objective. Professional diving is a useless term. Recreational diving is all diving that's not commercial or military.

I think one of the great fallacies perpetuated frequently on SB is that "Tech" is a definition rather than a description. Clearly too many lawyers on SB.

I already pointed out the utility of the term 'technical diving', but I guess I need to state it a little more bluntly... It is diving with a soft or hard overhead that your average OW diver with no advanced training should not be doing...

The recreational OW limits are pretty clear, and anything beyond that is in the technical realm...

I agree that language is not the best mechanism for describing things at times - and I'd question your definition, not that mine is any better mind you. Yours works for you, mine works for me.

For example, if a non-average OW diver with no advanced training decides to a little bit of deco, is it technical diving?

I'd also suggest that recreational limits aren't easily defined - whilst some agencies have a depth limit of 30m, others have 40m. How do we define limits in terms of time? Buhlmann tables give different NDLs than the PADI RDP, for example. BSAC teach using tables that show deco stops and have no real restriction on newer divers doing dives that require mandatory stops.

And that doesn't mean that normal OW diving isn't fairly technical... In fact, my first post-OW-certification dive was in a BP/W, long hose, etc

So where does equipment fit in with your above definition? It would seem that your above definition is about experience for the environment, not the equipment used in that environment.

It means what it means, and most language is flawed when you put it under a microscope...

The fact that you can state "all diving is technical diving" and a clueless newbie can figure out what is trying to be communicated, actually indicates to me that the flaws do not exceed the utility... not vice versa...

I guess this was my point - we know what it is, but the definition isn't easy to agree on. Better to just get on with it, diving is just diving. Any subdivision with in that is relatively puerile and potentially as useless as it is useful.

The term commercial diving refers to a job. Military diving trefers to diving with a military objective or training for a military objective. Professional diving is a useless term. Recreational diving is all diving that's not commercial or military.

There is a term used by the government here, which is "occupational diving".

Occupational diving is the umbrella term for diving for pay, whilst commercial diving is a subset with in that for what is essentially "underwater construction". Instruction falls under occupational diving, as does underwater filming (for money) etc.

It's quite a nice term that makes more sense than professional diving, and distinguishes (from a health and safety perspective) the difference between instruction and commercial (construction).

It is diving with a soft or hard overhead that your average OW diver with no advanced training should not be doing...

And then there is your average technical diver with not enough training, doing dives they shouldn't be doing... :wink:

And then there is your average technical diver with not enough training, doing dives they shouldn't be doing... :wink:

now is that tech diving or dumb diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom