What does ScubaBoard mean to you, and has the forum changed your diving?

What does Scuba Board mean to you, and has the forum changed your diving?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What do you see as the most important use of Scuba Board, for yourself, and if it has changed your diving in any way, how has it done so?

This has grown out of a series of discussions I have participated in recently on various threads, and those threads got me to thinking it would be interesting to open the discussion to anyone and everyone.

I know for myself my reason for using ScubaBoard forums has changed a lot since I first stumbled across the site in '05, researching a family vacation. At first all I saw was a good source to read reviews of destinations, resorts, dive ops, gear, etc, by other divers, rather than reading reviews in the traditional magazines where the motive of the reviews was so obviously motivated by profit.

But, while I first discovered SB when I was doing an internet search for a place to take my two kids on their first dive trip, and I was simply reading SB posts as if they were another form of travel magazine, instead I was introduced to some great new friends when Deputy Dan and Herman invited us to join them and their families for a memorable trip to Bonaire!
They were just the first of many great friends I have met and dived with threw this forum!

I gradually began to post myself, and threw those posts I have come to know a great many folks who I enjoy discussing diving and non diving subjects with, and many of whom I have had the chance to meet and dive with, and many others I am looking forward to doing so with in time.
It was through the sub forum, DNY that I first began to explore differing techniques and agencies, and suddenly my horizons began to expand exponentially. My diving has evolved substantially because of my exposure to so many SB members I that I have met and dived with. I have tried techniques that I never would have considered before, gone to sites I never dreamed of, and met new friends I cherish, all because of my SB posting.

Questions as I stumbled along, trying to do me first U/W photos brought helpful suggestions from folks like ScubaSteve and DandyDon. I had discovered another great use for the forums.
Ask questions, and you will usually get the help you seek. (Plus a bit of drama, from time to time, but that is just a facet of the internet world)
Over time I have bought, and I have sold, gear and even some of my own jewelry designs through this forum. Some folks seem to join, just to sell themselves, their services, and/or their products. Another valid reason for joining, as it is a great way to expose a service to potentially a very large market.

I think there are almost as many reasons for using this board as there are members.

Did you come hear to learn, to teach, to buy or sell, to meet buddies, to pick fights and brag, to swap stories or do research for gear, agencies, destinations, techniques or safety questions?

To quote Keats: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways"

• SB introduced me to a lot of things I never knew I never knew. Living on a small island, I had never heard of tec diving, BP/W or a host of other things that now form a core of my diving.
  • Prevents me wasting time by doing work whilst I am at work.
  • Introduced me to lots of new people who I finally get to meet when I travel to their countries.
  • Gives you almost unrivalled access to experts in diving and diving medicine. Two quick examples:
(1) I remember when I asked the idle question on SB "what was the highest ever altitude dive?" and Thal replies "it was Dr Charles Brush at Lago Licancabur". I ask the follow up question "how on earth do you know that?". Thal replies: "Because I trained him for it."
(2) I also remember when I was learning about decompression gradients and partial pressures of gases, and I came up with the (seemingly) brilliant idea to put Argon into decompression mixes. No Argon breathed at depth, and so it would make a perfect off-gassing dilutent right? But although there is nothing in the literature, lots of old hands pitch in with stories (in some cases second hand) about how this was a lousy idea, and every time it has been tried the subject has gotten bent.

What do you see as the most important use of Scuba Board, for yourself, and if it has changed your diving in any way, how has it done so?

Did you come hear to learn, to teach, to buy or sell, to meet buddies, to pick fights and brag, to swap stories or do research for gear, agencies, destinations, techniques or safety questions?

In 2008, when I had 15 dives under my belt, a SBer who no longer posts here told me to "check out Scubaboard" to research Costa Rica dive resorts. "Scuba what?"was my reply, now fast forward four years and I have a couple of hundred drives under my belt and ton of local, out of state and international dive buddies rather than insta-buddies.

Joining Dive NY forum in 2008 brought a ton of great local instructors and great local dive buddies into my life. Joining MoF chat thread in 2008 brought a long list of dive buddies from around the country and around the world.

I come here to read about all things scuba and to talk to all my friends. I went from warm water vacation OW sites like GBR and Bora Bora to cold quarries like Gilboa and Dutch Springs, lakes, rivers NJ braille diving, kelp forest of Catalina, NC wrecks, Tobermory wrecks, cenotes, caves in Bahamas and in N.Central Florida.

THANK YOU, Scubaboard, you will always have a very special place in my diving heart!!!!!

I found the right course director that I could trust to train Melissa and Morgan in OW, and later AOW, at 14 and 10, because of a SB question I posted. Thinking of this just now made me realize that I was actually on SB, posting questions well before Herman and Deputy Dan invited us to join them for our first Bonaire experience.

I discovered both Bonaire and Belize threw questions I asked of members here on SB. Met and dived with new SB friends in both places.

Joining DNY got me to try BP/W, drysuit, doubles, Fundies, and skills I never even thought of before!

Thanks to SB my diving horizon is still expanding, my skills are continually improving and my circle of friends keeps growing!

I was a very new diver when a generous woman who agreed to dive with me (and must have been traumatized, because she essentially quit diving shortly thereafter :) ) told me about ScubaBoard. I learned SO much reading here -- I posted all kinds of stupid newby questions, and a lot of patient people answered them. (I'll never forget Jonnythan's advice about how to control ascents, and I pass it on all the time!)

I got introduced to DIR diving here, and found a home where I'm still happy, six years later.

I've met more great people than I can even hope to list -- people who have generously hosted us in their home diving environments, people who have come and visited here in the PNW, and a couple (NetDoc and Diver0001, memorably) who I've only had a chance to have a drink with. I even got involved in writing an article that got published in an agency journal as a result of connections made on SB!

I've been turned onto great gear here (fdog and his reviews!) and warned away from undesirable stuff, and undesirable places. When I went to Cozumel, it was on SB that I got the information that made me choose the dive op we went with -- and we had a great time.

Nowadays, I read and post mostly to try to pay forward some of that great stuff -- I pass along the tips people gave ME when I was new, and share some of the things I've learned by experience. I try to refer people to information about DIR diving, when it seems that their questions indicate that they might find it a comfortable approach. And I fairly regularly play hostess to visitors, and try to show them why we love diving the Pacific Northwest.

It's an amazing place here. That's why, after six years, I still spend way too much time posting . . . :)

Scubaboard is the place I go every morning while drinking my coffee. It helps me procrastinate and avoid (well, actually, postpone) any video editing or newspaper column writing I might have scheduled. And on days like today when it is raining cats and dogs (why not fishes and invertebrates?), it is a good place to spend time. However, on the days I dive I spend little time here!

I have enjoyed meeting many people through SB. I have been able to share my knowledge of the marine life here in SoCal with an expanded audience, and (since I'm first a marine biologist and second a diver) learn a few things about diving (despite my 50 years of involvement with SCUBA). The only goal that I had hoped to achieve here but that has eluded me was to meet the mermaid of my dreams!

My dear friend Lorraine (ALMITYWIFE) introduced me to SB. Since then I have gained some more cherished friends. Some I have even got to meet and dive with in person (DrBill I sure hope you weren't hungry when you asked me if I would rather do a third dive or get something to eat!). Michelles Guy and DB have turned LA from a place that I avoid when I fly back to Canada to my rejuvenation stop after rushing around in Canada. ScubaJenny.. what a hostess! Fisheyevie, Marvel, DG, Denis, Joystershell helped achieve my dream of becoming a BHB Troll, Grover inspires me, DD helps me keep safe with his knowledge re gas testing, Itsbruce, CaveDiver, luckydays and others have helped me look at things from different more analytical perspectives. Saspotato, El Orans, BG and Acanthurus I just can't say enough about how wonderful they are! Searcaigh, Jim, Sam and all the rest of the kind and friendly people who pop into the Dive Shop at the end of the Universe enrich my days and lift my spirits when I am tired. The staff from Netdoc on down do so much to make this place work. Quero, Diver0001, Boulderjohn, TSandM, Cavediver are standouts but there are too many dedicated MODs to name.

What do I gain most from SB?.. contact with wonderful people with whom I share a passion and with whom I do vicarious diving through trip reports and pictures. Wonderful people I have had the privilege to dive with or will hopefully in the future. Scuba Board for me is about the people. Yes there are those who like to create dramas but in many cases they are passionate about their point of view and don't intend offence so a careful response can defuse the situation or smooth ruffles feathers! Those that thrive on drama mostly can be ignored or avoided unless you want to play their game.

We can all find the place her to meet our needs for drama or peaceful interaction. Scuba Board is what we make it so we make that decision every time we post... be it mean spirited or kind, negative or positive.

To quote Keats: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways"

ScubaBoard is a place I go to use my advanced degree in English Literature to correct common misconceptions about authorship.

You meant Elizabeth Barrett Browning, not Keats, of course.:D

Hmm a lot of options, just picked 3.

Back when I joined, I was looking for info, a new friend or 2 and someone to chat with.
I found all, but learned a lot over the years.
Best lesson was, a lot of "nice" people aren't as nice as they pretend,hiding behind a keyboard is one thing.
But when you start talking to them in "real"life, they sometimes turn out to be nasty. :(
BUT atleast I got one(overseas) friend for life out of this.
So SB made me happy :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom