Question What does your dive locker look like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are new to the hobby, having just got our first certifications and gear. Our locker is a Seville roller cabinet, and fits both of our setups quite nicely
IMG-3036.jpg

One good idea we had is a pully system for hanging cleaned gear to dry, letting you start down low where it is easy to hang, then pull it up to the rafters to dry. Heavy duty BC and wetsuit hangers will be in this week.
IMG-3034.jpg

IMG-3038.png

Love the pully system.

@chillyinCanada @RyanT
Thank you for the advice. The basement where our gear is located is air conditioned year round and dehumidified in the summer. We went to the metal locker with the idea of keeping any residual UV exposure from the sun-facing windows to a minimum, keeping dust off the gear, and keeping our cat at bay from potentially chewing on it.

Just playing with the space we have currently, we tried the following configuration

IMG-3040.jpg

Any thoughts on this? Of course the flimsy hangers will be replaced when our BC and wetsuit hangers arrive tomorrow. BC's have a decent bit of air in them.

@chillyinCanada @RyanT
Thank you for the advice. The basement where our gear is located is air conditioned year round and dehumidified in the summer. We went to the metal locker with the idea of keeping any residual UV exposure from the sun-facing windows to a minimum, keeping dust off the gear, and keeping our cat at bay from potentially chewing on it.

Just playing with the space we have currently, we tried the following configuration

IMG-3040.jpg

Any thoughts on this? Of course, the flimsy hangers will be replaced when our BC and wetsuit hangers arrive tomorrow. BC's have a decent bit of air in them.
Very nice!
When I know my regs are definitely clean and dry, I put them into a bin that has a snap on lid and goes under the bed. I put them in that to keep any bugs out. One never knows when a spider might want to wander into your mouthpiece . . .or heaven forefend, a mouse getting involved with your gear. It sounds like your garage already discourages this sort of thing.

Looks good! Yeah, you definitely don't want the cat to decide it's the new toy! For regs, lights, computers, etc. mine all go in the drawers of the tool bins in my photos.

It's quite spartan, and a little messy. But it works. I like hanging up stuff so it dries/airs out, and it's easier to see if I forget to pack something.

Any ideas for improvement? I've been playing with the idea of having cave line or bungee lines along the wall - now everything is hanging on old nails. Maybe a hook or something in the ceiling to hang the suit better. I've also thought about making a narrow high table along a wall to unload the doubles if they're on my back, and maybe even for storage if I can strap them to the wall. Lifting them from the floor is a PITA. And having tanks off the cold floor is probably better for them anyways... Also thinking about a way to store regs hanging, so they can also dry after rinsing - maybe with the bungee/line along a wall...

...Also thinking about a way to store regs hanging, so they can also dry after rinsing
This is probably a completely separate thread, but since you posted the idea I'll play.
In SE Fla we have a ton of really good regulator technicians that do alot of rebuilds. Most say even after rinsing, air-blasting, dripping etc, you just will never get 100% of all the moisture out of a regulator setup. There will always be some 'amount' of water {salt or fresh} that will still be inside of your regs. Don't believe me? Blast purge your regs upside down a week after your last rinse onto/into a paper towel and look at the paper towel to see the moisture droplets that come out.

For this reason, many reg techs say you should store your regs horizontally flat so that the moisture settles into the middle of your hoses and not hanging thereby moisture settling against the reg's seats. Having just written this above, EVERY reg rebuild shop I've been in,,, stores their customer regs hanging. Pretty confusing, but I store my regs horizontally between dives to keep the seats dry, your mileage may vary.

This is probably a completely separate thread, but since you posted the idea I'll play.
In SE Fla we have a ton of really good regulator technicians that do alot of rebuilds. Most say even after rinsing, air-blasting, dripping etc, you just will never get 100% of all the moisture out of a regulator setup. There will always be some 'amount' of water {salt or fresh} that will still be inside of your regs. Don't believe me? Blast purge your regs upside down a week after your last rinse onto/into a paper towel and look at the paper towel to see the moisture droplets that come out.

For this reason, many reg techs say you should store your regs horizontally flat so that the moisture settles into the middle of your hoses and not hanging thereby moisture settling against the reg's seats. Having just written this above, EVERY reg rebuild shop I've been in,,, stores their customer regs hanging. Pretty confusing, but I store my regs horizontally between dives to keep the seats dry, your mileage may vary.
I store mine horizontally but find it highly unlikely that they could remain wet in the arrid climate here. That said, I do my diving in bumid climates. It's only after returning home that I'm able to ensure that any of my gear dries completely.

Very interesting! I definitely want to look into this. I have been storing them horizontal since I haven't had the chance to make a hanging setup yet. I thought the idea of hanging them was to use gravity to pull moisture away from the first stage, which is where you really don't want water ingress. But I didn't consider what that means for the second stage...

Back
Top Bottom