What does it look like when you almost run into a whale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Check it in out in:
http://www.reals.net/

In Monterey, I've had seals and sea lions flash in front of me. Just about scares me to death every time. (Somehow, it's always whitey you think about in those moments). I can't imagine what these guys were thinking.

micks:
Awesome! When and where was that photo taken?

I think they are SoCal guys. I changed the link to point to their dive report.

Well, when you run into a whale you are one lucky diver. I've been fortunate enough to drop in on whales several times. These majestic mammals always seem quite tolerant of humans. They look at us poor folks and just move on in their majestic way.

They probably should have bought lotto tickets that day.

We had a whale check us out off Lanai last year. It's the only time I've ever seen a DM jump up and down underwater . . .

The only one I've ever seen under water was almost exactly a year ago off Monterey/Carmel. We were at about 70' when a fairly small/young gray whale glided over my buddy's head. It was so close that she could have reached up and stroked its belly with a couple of kicks up. And the irony is, we wouldn't have even seen it if I hadn't been slightly in front of her and had to turn round to check she was OK (yes, yes - very poor buddy diving technique... but we got to see a whale!). BEST DIVE EVER.

We had a "small" whale shark play with us for about 10 minutes off Kauai last June. It kept passing within 5 to 10 feet of us. It was quite curious of us. Definately a best dive.

I was fortunate to spend almost all of a :38 rig dive in the Gulf of Mexico last October watching a 30-35' whale shark. It was amazing. It was as interested in us as we were in it. Twice it passed close enough to me that I could have touched it if I chose. Definitely my best dive to date.

See here for pictures from that day. The first dive of the day is when we saw the whale shark. I only saw it briefly on the second dive and not at all on the third dive. I spent most of my time taking video and so there are not that many pictures of the whale shark.

I posted a trip report if you are interested in reading it. And best of all, video is here.

Willie

Back
Top Bottom