What do you want in Diver Charter Service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgtkat69

Reaction score
I am gathering data to implement in a Dive Charter Business. Just take a second and answer these three questions:

First: What is the most improtant thing you consider before using a diver charter service?

Second: What would you change or add to a service you have used in the past?

Third: Is there a piece of equipment that makes you like a dive boat better than others (i.e. bigger dive ladder, galley)

Thanks for you input!

IKE

1. I look for the best price for the dives, size of the boat, is the boat in good condition (certified by USCG??) how many people can be on the boat confortably, how many divers per Dive Masters

2. The last trip (boat) I was on. The boat and crew were great. The motor had a little too much fumes.

3. Hang bars are good, wide platform to do a giant stride or a forward roll is good, large dedicated camera table, I've been on charters where there was a shower where you can do a quick rinse off of your hair, face, body even though it is in the open.

sgtkat69:
I am gathering data to implement in a Dive Charter Business. Just take a second and answer these three questions:

First: What is the most improtant thing you consider before using a diver charter service?

Third: Is there a piece of equipment that makes you like a dive boat better than others (i.e. bigger dive ladder, galley)

Thanks for you input!

IKE

sgtkat69:

Thanks for you input!

IKE

First: Price vs. airfills, food, # of dives

Second: Friendly crew

Third: The Spectre, here in California, has a hot tub on board.

Thanks, Rick

90% of my diving is from shore so my experiences lack in this department but I know what works for me. (Day trip only, haven't tried liveaboard yet, so can't comment)

First: Are they going anywhere I want to dive at the moment? If you are the first to book the charter can you decide where to dive that day? Are they willing to go as deep as your capable of going? Back-to-back deep? Far offshore? How many people do they need to set sail? How many dives will they do? Are you expected to return after an hour or can you use your big tank or doubles/rebreather for the purpose intended and service you paid for? (sorry this one bugs me) Do they offer a night dive option? Are they available 7 days a week all year long?

Second: Offer more options. Specialty rentals. Scooters, Camera, Video, Hid, Rebreather, Doubles, Metal detector, Rent to own. Most of these toys are very expensive. As a rental option they allow you to try different pleasures of diving without spending 10g, and decide for yourself which options you can't live without. Plus it keeps people interested because there is something new to try.

Third: Space, Space, and more Space. Need space to put your gear. Suit up, camera dry table, wet bucket, mask bucket, duel ladders...huge t-style ladders, hang bar, big boat for less turbulance "better for sea sick prone people"

Fourth: Capt and Crew. Good people will keep me coming back more than all of the above combined.

Sid

I) Price/value for money, safety record, reviews/word of mouth (very important from my experience).

II) Transportation and logistics (if the charter is responsible for this). Being stranded at the airstrip because the driver overslept is not very nice.

III) A lift would be great for the lazy. No, seriously, it would give you the advantage in attracting older clients or those with physical disabilities not to mention, people diving with loads of equipment (like photographers and videographers) and technical divers.

1) Safety (e.g. not likely to leave me at sea), cost, number of dives

2) Better airflow to reduce sea sickness. Go to good wrecks!

3) A place to sit or lay down while underway. Nitrox fills. Tender boat to chase down stray divers while the boat is moored.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Great information.

Does ease of scheduling, i.e. online vs. stricly by phone make a difference to you?

I was on a boat in Cayman and they had a hookah reg attached to the hangbar. So you could complete your SS w/o using up your air. It was just hooked to an 80 on the back of the boat. Simple idea that I used/liked.

Great stuff. I really appreciate it. I run a small charter service on the Cooper River In South Carolina. My partner and I are working on some improvements to the boat, just wanted some input from the people that use us.
We are also working on a website. Should be up soon.
Thanks
IKE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom