What do you use to hold your octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jesus-fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have tried a few different octo holders but I can't seem to find one that actually holds the octo. My octo seems to fall out of every holder I have tried. I use a HOG D1 as an octo with the stock mouth piece. Any suggestions? I have not tried a necklace yet, any thoughts on a necklace?

Thanks for your time

Snorkel keeper. Cheap.

Snorkel Keeper.jpg

Piece of bungie ($2 at any hardware store) around my neck with the alternate on a short hose and the primary on a 7' hose for gas sharing.

For quite some time I was encountering the same problem as you in my recreational setup while in my technical setup I was using the very secure system universally used there. Then I read about a drowning that occurred when an OOA diver could not locate her buddy's octo, which had come loose and was stuck behind the diver. I switched to using the tech setup for my recreational gear as well.

To do that, you donate the primary regulator from your mouth. You then use the octo yourself, which is hanging below your chin, held there by a bungee around the neck.

In my experience, any time you ask something to perform two diametrically opposed functions (to hold something securely, but let it go easily when it's wanted) the object will usually do one much better than the other. Since it's critical to have that octo come loose when it's wanted, in general, octo holders do poorly at the "hold securely" end of the spectrum

The solution, as already stated, is not to set your gear up so that you need something to do both. The bungied necklace holds the backup reg securely in a place certain; when someone needs gas, they get your primary, which comes loose easily, and you get your backup, which is where you think it is.

(BTW, I have the same objection to integrated weight systems :) )

I take a piece of surgical tubing, and make a small loop on one end that fits around the octo mouthpiece. On the other end, I attach a small brass clip.

That way, I can put it where I want, and it's easy to unclip for removing the regulator assembly.

The necklace is a good idea, but I already use one for my main reg. Quite handy for photogs with their hands full.

Back
Top Bottom