What do you think of this package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I've just got my qoute back on a package I put together, and I was hoping for some feedback on what you guys thought as far as overall value/quality of the gear. I tried to pick all gear I was familiar with, or had heard good things about, the only part I am not entirely sure about is the computer, since it only has air operation. Here it is...

ScubaPro Knighthawk BCD
Mares MV Slimline Octo
Oceanic GT3 CDX5 Regulator (first and second stage) [I've heard good things on it, anyone have any additional comments on this particular reg? I'm going to be in some very cold water when around home, and in quite warm water elsewhere]
Aeris XR-1 Console

I'm looking at getting all of that for 980 Shipped, all new.

Now here is my predicament I suppose. My only local dive shop (honestly, I'm not too fond of their business practices) is selling a basic Scubapro setup (I think it has a Knighthawk, they keep telling me different things) with an octo, reg, basic gauge console, and a tank for 1,050. So the only advantage would be my getting a tank, however from what I understand most of the gear on that package would be pretty low quality (still subgear or scubapro, but low on the scale). So the breaking point for me is whether or not to go with Leisurepro and not get a tank, or go with my local diveshop that I dont like very much, and get a tank with my gear (which as said before would seem to be overall lower quality).

To help out the decision making process, I'll get the names of all the equipment in the LD's packages.

Then again I could just look at the basic Oceanic Packages offered by Leisurepro, But I am not very familiar with Oceanic, so I'm a bit hesitant. Heres the first one. And heres the second one that im looking at. Atleast with those, I'd be good to go when it comes time that I want to start diving Nitrox, and I'd be able to shave a few hundred bucks off of the expense, although I'm not trying too hard to cut costs as long as its below 1,000.

But, back to the main question, has anyone had any personal experience with the gear I listed in the packages? In particular the GT3 reg and the XR-1, or those Oceanic Regs?

P.S: I will be heading off to college soon, so having to get serviced only by my one local diveshop isnt much of a problem, or wont be anymore.

Last edited:
Togalive, another advantage to buying from your shop is that it is all warrantied (as long as they are an authorized dealer). A lot the stuff from LP is covered only by their own warranty. For example, the BC is only covered for 6months by LP.

Just my $0.02

Leisurepro is an authorized Oceanic dealer, and any Oceanic gear purchased from them will have a full Oceanic warranty.

The CDX5 GT3 is a good regulator.

I am not a fan of "slimline" octos in general, but if you must have one, I suggest you purchase Oceanic's version. That will make life much simpler if you need to have your reg serviced by an Oceanic dealer who is not also a Mares dealer. In this case, I suggest the Alpha 8 octo, which is a conventional style.

Leisure Pro warranties ALL of the gear they sell.
You'll have to send it back to them if anything needs fixing but it is warrantied.

.....which as said before would seem to be overall lower quality......

Would seem to whom? You have spelled out half of the equation and asked us to tell you if it is the right package. Without spelling out the components of the LDS package it is impossible to say. Ultimately, it sounds like you have made up your mind. You have already decided not to do business with your shop so really not much more can be said. However, if you wish to list the shop's package, we could compare and tell you what we think.

As for the LP/LDS debate, do whatever you want and ignore everybody else. There are two camps and neither seems to ever give any ground......both are good and bad in their own ways. You have to decide which is right for you and there is more than enough already posted on ScubaBoard for you to make that distinction.

That stinks you're not entirely happy with your local shop :( , but maybe you can still have a working relationship?

Maybe see if the local shop will price match? I can understand getting a good deal whenever and wherever you can- I'm a deal hunter myself, but I also have the perspective of being a local shop owner (in swim and beach wear) and also the wife of a scuba shop general manager. I know at his shop (Tortuga Bay Scuba; Greeley, CO) will price match on-line as long as they are a certified dealer of that manufacturer and within the manufacturers pricing limits. If they price match then you'll have the benefit of getting the package you wanted at the price you wanted, but you'll also be able to have the local service.

Benefits in going with local shop:
-In servicing your equipment: (which usually has to be done annually to maintain a valid warranty)
-no shipping back to internet company
-better time-service
-working with the same person in person
-pay local taxes: this one may sound crazy, but I call it "giving back to my community"
-build rapport with the local shop: It shouldn't be a secret that loyal customers do get better deals in the future
-personal reminder from the shop that it's time for servicing? I don't know if your local shop will do that, but I know that the TB tech/GM/Owner will contact any customers that are due for their annual so the warranty doesn't void, and if the warranty voids then you're going to be spending the money you saved on parts at time of service.

Benefits in going on-line:
-Undoubtedly you're going to find cheaper prices, but like other posters have said you'll want to make sure they're a certified dealer and check their warranty info.
-You can shop at 3am wearing nothing (but if you ask me or my husband if you want to do that at TB we'll come and open the doors for you
-It'll get shipped to your door

Hopefully that helps :) I know you were asking about the use of it- I'll ask my husband to help you out because I'm pretty sure he's used all or most of those products. Does your local shop have a pool? TB lets customers try before they buy and your local shop may do that as well?

Happy hunting!

But, back to the main question, has anyone had any personal experience with the gear I listed in the packages? In particular the GT3 reg and the XR-1, or those Oceanic Regs?

P.S: I will be heading off to college soon, so having to get serviced only by my one local diveshop isnt much of a problem, or wont be anymore.

If I were you I would not get a air-only computer as it limits you to air only. Nitrox is invaluable for certain dive experiences so I would definitely pony up some additional money to get a nitrox computer as it will be worth it in the long run. As far as tanks are concerned AL-80s are really cheap, they can be had for ~130 a tank. You can always forgo getting a tank and rent tanks; that way you can dodge the hydro and vis fees.
I also would check the other online stores for gear as well. Stores such as scubatoys.com and divers-supply.com

Thank you for all the great and informational replies! I'm going to get in contact with a local DM and talk to him about our LDS, maybe since he often contracts through them he might be able to have some leverage since the LDS seems to be very firm on their pricing.

Thanks Again! :)

@ ScubaSteve: I live in a pretty rural area, but as I said in my OP, I am working on getting down to the LDS to find out exactly what they have in their package. Everytime I have called, I have been told different things, so I would rather drive there when I get the time to, instead of posting up one of the many versions I've been told, and then having to adjust my post once people have already replied to the nonexistent package. The main purpose of this post, was to get opinions on both LP, and on the gear I posted up, along with any suggestions on whether or not it would be worth it to invest in a Nitrox computer. I will be posting up the LDS package as soon as I find out what it actually is.

Well, I got a chance to head into the local diveshop and get the exact parts on their package.

It contains...

A BCD (ScubaPro Knighthawk if I want it to be one)
An analog console w/ spg and depth
A scubapro Air2 octo (I did my pool dives with them and actually really like them)
A SubGear Bonaire regulator
And an 80 cubic foot tank

They are selling it for $1,025

My biggest issue with it is the computer, or rather the lack thereof, and from talking with the LDS, it seems like they wont be able to swap in a computer. Does anyone have any suggestions on trying to get them to swap one in? Their nearest package that has one is $1,600 which is out of my budget.

On a slightly different note, LP did do another qoute for me for the following setup...

Air2
Knighthawk
Mark 11/ R395 Reg
Suunto Gecko
Price shipped: $1,151

I figure I might be able to call around and get it shipped for $1,050 by another website.

So any renewed opinions or suggestions now that I've been able to post up exactly what was on the LDS package?

Thanks again :)

There is a significant cost difference between a dive computer (especially an air integrated computer) and an analog console. I would be amazed if any dive shop out there would ever swap them out evenly. If you need to have the computer, I would ask for the price of the package LESS the console and ask for the quote on the computer (assuming you are going air integrated). If you are not going air integrated, you will need the console anyways (or a variation of) so the only option would be to buy the computer as an add on item. I have never dove some of that equipment so I cannot really comment on the specific items.

EDIT.....

It appears as though the Gekko is not air integrated so you need to factor in the cost of a console for air pressure or pressure guage of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom