What do you think of this Oceanic Reg setup? Delta II & Alpha IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaxs

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am in the market for a good, used, reg set that I will use to get certified in class and afterwards for a year or two. Here is what I was offered:

"All this gear is in Exc. condition and was bought new by me at the same time. The computer has a screen protector on it that was installed before it ever went in the water. The reg. set includes Oceanic's piston first stage, Delta II primary second stage and Alpha IV secondary ( also called an octopus or backup) second stage. They are all 100% functional and are great regs. and computer. I just have too much gear and want to thin the collection out a little."

I did some research and these regulators are a tad old manafacturing wise. Like 8 or so. I was wondering if anyone could comment and if they would suggest them to a novice diver who will dive in San Diego 2 times a week. The gentelman sent a lot of high quality detailed pics and they look in great quality. I know I will still need to get it serviced locally before I do anything with it. Oh yeah, the price with shipping for the reg set and computer was $325, which seems to be a fair price. I just cant afford all brand new equipment. Or, should I just buy a new Tusa that is fairly cheap, sub 200, and buy an octo and used computer? Price would probably be about $425 new I guess. Or, if you have a better suggestion, let me know :) I know I ask a lot of questions, but I trust in the knowledge of the pro/vetran divers here. I must also say I am impressed with the friendliness of this board. I was checking out the newsgroups associated to scuba and they are all quite mean and ill-tempered. So, thanks for that as well!

shaxs:
Oh yeah, the price with shipping for the reg set and computer was $325, which seems to be a fair price. I just cant afford all brand new equipment. Or, should I just buy a new Tusa that is fairly cheap, sub 200, and buy an octo and used computer? Price would probably be about $425 new I guess. Or, if you have a better suggestion, let me know :) I know I ask a lot of questions, but I trust in the knowledge of the pro/vetran divers here. I must also say I am impressed with the friendliness of this board. I was checking out the newsgroups associated to scuba and they are all quite mean and ill-tempered. So, thanks for that as well!
There is nothing wrong with this setup, but my recommendation to you is that for that price you should get something new, even if it costs you a little ($100 or less) more. It will be worth it. The first thing that you should do after buying a used reg is have it serviced, so that would add about $80 after parts anyhow. So before Scott jumps on you, Zeagle regs are fairly cheap and they are awesome performers. In my opinion they are the best bang for your buck reg. And they are the American Apeks, which I am sure you have heard good things about. So take a look around and see what you can get new for the same price. Just think that it comes with a warranty, free parts, and piece of mind. Oh yeah and stay away from that TUSA crap. More aggrevation than it is worth.

rescuediver009:
There is nothing wrong with this setup, but my recommendation to you is that for that price you should get something new, even if it costs you a little ($100 or less) more. It will be worth it. The first thing that you should do after buying a used reg is have it serviced, so that would add about $80 after parts anyhow. So before Scott jumps on you, Zeagle regs are fairly cheap and they are awesome performers. In my opinion they are the best bang for your buck reg. And they are the American Apeks, which I am sure you have heard good things about. So take a look around and see what you can get new for the same price. Just think that it comes with a warranty, free parts, and piece of mind. Oh yeah and stay away from that TUSA crap. More aggrevation than it is worth.

Thanks! Yeah, I definitely have a decision to make. If I do go new, I think I am going to get the genesis gs2000. I have heard nothing but good things about the reg and I will probably go to scubatoys.com as I think Larry is a great guy (And this is just from reading his and other people's posts here).

He is and he will be able to help a guyon a budget who does not necessarily want to compromise performance. The people who usually want to budget their dive equipment are usually newer divers who cannot yet justify the cost of more expensive dive gear. And rightly so, I know I used to. Now, ... well nevermind that.
But some guys jst want the top of the kine right away and they most definitely do not need it. It is like buying a Larborghini when you cannot drive the Autobahn. Buying an Apeks ATX200 when you are going to be diving nothing deeper than 80ft. is little stupid if you are me, as an ATX40 (almost half the price) would do you more than fine. I have also heard of Larry's good reputation. Go for it.

rescuediver009:
He is and he will be able to help a guyon a budget who does not necessarily want to compromise performance. The people who usually want to budget their dive equipment are usually newer divers who cannot yet justify the cost of more expensive dive gear. And rightly so, I know I used to. Now, ... well nevermind that.
But some guys jst want the top of the kine right away and they most definitely do not need it. It is like buying a Larborghini when you cannot drive the Autobahn. Buying an Apeks ATX200 when you are going to be diving nothing deeper than 80ft. is little stupid if you are me, as an ATX40 (almost half the price) would do you more than fine. I have also heard of Larry's good reputation. Go for it.

Done and Done. Ordered a Zeagle Envoy with Dracor Viper octo. Waiting for it to get here. Couldn't be happier with Larry and the Who Scubatoys team!

shaxs:
Done and Done. Ordered a Zeagle Envoy with Dracor Viper octo. Waiting for it to get here. Couldn't be happier with Larry and the Who Scubatoys team!

Way too go. I think that this reg is the ideal example of reducing the price without reducing the quality. It has a balanced first and second stage (i think that the zeagle first stages are still overbalanced) and you will always have the option of the upgrade. Later on if you want you can add the environmental seal. The same dry system as the Apeks. Also the adjustment knob for the second stage. It replaces the allen key screw on the end of the second stage. Neither is horrendously expensive either.
Seriously though it is agreat reg and parts for life, you will be happy.
Wait till scott zeagle hears about this he will offer me a job....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom